Just read rich dad poor dad

Started by AKPsiMD84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AKPsiMD84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just read rich dad-poor dad and it did shine some light bulbs in my head. However, the book does not explain much about where to start or what to do. I am looking to create the so called "pipeline of wealth" but I don't know where to start. It would be excellent to get some professional advice or advice from someone experienced on this sbject matter.

My Financial goals:

-To pay off credit card debt (in the thousands)
-Create a "passive income" of at least $2000/month
-Become better aquainted with money, investing and finance
-Positive cash flow

Time period: approximately 2 years or before entering medical school (planning on two years).
Location: Miami, FL
 
it's just a motivational book but a lot of people tend to gravitate toward real estate after reading it.

g'luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand all of this and Im familiar with John T. Reed (comments on gurus, not his books) ... and I don't blame the man for scratching out a living. But passive income does exist. I just don't know where to start meeting the goals I set in the first post at my level of finances.
 
chances are you prob don't make enough. anyways if youre a college student consider starting a blog w/blogads
 
I understand all of this and Im familiar with John T. Reed (comments on gurus, not his books) ... and I don't blame the man for scratching out a living. But passive income does exist. I just don't know where to start meeting the goals I set in the first post at my level of finances.

I make passive income ~2-3K/ year. It isn't that hard. First, finish med school and residency. Second, don't spend all your money. Third, invest your money in traditional investments such as stocks and bonds in IRAs, 401Ks etc. You'll be surprised how quickly the "passive income" adds up. An MD willing to save a good chunk of his salary who can live on $100K/year (in today's dollars) can retire fairly easily 20 years out of residency without social security. That's "passive income."

Most people looking for Kiyosaki's magic techniques don't realize that they're not doing the easy stuff:

1) Getting the match on your 401K
2) Maximizing tax-protected accounts
3) Paying off high interest debt as quickly as possible
4) Keeping investments costs and turnover as low as possible

Good luck. Kiyosaki is a successful author, but there are MUCH better books out there. Consider The Boglehead's Guide to Investing.
 
I make passive income ~2-3K/ year. It isn't that hard. First, finish med school and residency. Second, don't spend all your money. Third, invest your money in traditional investments such as stocks and bonds in IRAs, 401Ks etc. You'll be surprised how quickly the "passive income" adds up. An MD willing to save a good chunk of his salary who can live on $100K/year (in today's dollars) can retire fairly easily 20 years out of residency without social security. That's "passive income."

Most people looking for Kiyosaki's magic techniques don't realize that they're not doing the easy stuff:

1) Getting the match on your 401K
2) Maximizing tax-protected accounts
3) Paying off high interest debt as quickly as possible
4) Keeping investments costs and turnover as low as possible

Good luck. Kiyosaki is a successful author, but there are MUCH better books out there. Consider The Boglehead's Guide to Investing.

nothing more satisfying that reading the "estimated annual income" section of your brokerage statement...knowing all that free money is rolling in
 
Wow, thats awesome, Thanks ActiveDuty

I make passive income ~2-3K/ year. It isn't that hard. First, finish med school and residency. Second, don't spend all your money. Third, invest your money in traditional investments such as stocks and bonds in IRAs, 401Ks etc. You'll be surprised how quickly the "passive income" adds up. An MD willing to save a good chunk of his salary who can live on $100K/year (in today's dollars) can retire fairly easily 20 years out of residency without social security. That's "passive income."

Most people looking for Kiyosaki's magic techniques don't realize that they're not doing the easy stuff:

1) Getting the match on your 401K
2) Maximizing tax-protected accounts
3) Paying off high interest debt as quickly as possible
4) Keeping investments costs and turnover as low as possible

Good luck. Kiyosaki is a successful author, but there are MUCH better books out there. Consider The Boglehead's Guide to Investing.
 
yeah, i read that book.
honestly, alot of the advice that was mentioned was basic stuff that posters above have mentioned here (max out matched 401k/403b; max out roth; pay down high interest loans; don't keep credit card debt).

i think kiyosaki forgot to mention one of the biggest contibutions to his weath--a series of hokey catchy-titled inspirational money books that entice people to read them to 'get the answer' for how to get rich. umm, not going to find it there. honestly, i think the 'rich dad' was probably a bit of a shister, and probably not too interesting either. the poor dad may have been a financial bafoon, but i don't think i'd want to forgo higher education to pursue real estate ventures--but hey that's just me.

i love the tag team book he and trump are selling now. and i love the irony in getting rich writing books telling people how to get rich.
 
I just read rich dad-poor dad and it did shine some light bulbs in my head. However, the book does not explain much about where to start or what to do. I am looking to create the so called "pipeline of wealth" but I don't know where to start. It would be excellent to get some professional advice or advice from someone experienced on this sbject matter.

My Financial goals:

-To pay off credit card debt (in the thousands)
-Create a "passive income" of at least $2000/month
-Become better aquainted with money, investing and finance
-Positive cash flow

Time period: approximately 2 years or before entering medical school (planning on two years).
Location: Miami, FL


#1: DO NOT BUY REAL ESTATE IN MIAMI RIGHT NOW.
#2: DO NOT BUY REAL ESTATE IN MIAMI RIGHT NOW.
#3. The book has some good points, but don't think that this equals buying real estate in Miami right now is a good idea. 😉
 
I agree. It's great for motivation, that's about it.

I read it and thought I was going to start making moves. Still trying to figure out what to do.

Already maxed the Roth, no 401K match available, high interest internet saving account, few mutual funds, working on the loans...

Feel like I could be doing more with my savings as I'm still single now...
 
I read that book a couple years ago. It has completely changed my thinking. I'm starting to take some steps in that direction.

You have good goals, however you probably won't be able to achieve them in only 2 years.

Start with paying off your credit card debt. Credit card debt is never good. Stop using your credit cards as well...pay for everything with cash. For now, the way to success is to minimize unnecessary expenses so that you can put as much money as possible toward your other goals. Books that provide fantastic guidance toward paying off debt are those by Dave Ramsey (he is very debt averse and would probably disagree with much of the Rich Dad philosophy, but has the best debt elimination plan I've seen). Eliminating credit card debt before med school is one of the wisest things you can do.

Other books in the Rich Dad series are good, despite a lot of repitition. I'd read some of them in the library or in Barnes and Noble, don't buy them.

You'll need some support and guidance to achieve passive income goals. Start by going to the rich dad site and look for a cash flow club in your area. If you can't find an active club, try to find out if there is a real estate investors association in your area.

It took me several tries to find an active cash flow club. I met the leaders, and they hooked me up with real estate investors club. There I met active investors (whose sole income is from real estate) and brokers who all invest in real estate themselves (most of them do flips in addition to owning rental property). The result...in less than 6 weeks I have been able to find my first property, a duplex which I can purchase with government sponsored FHA loan, 3% out of pocket (as long as I live in one unit). We will close in about 2 more weeks. Once I met the right people, things started happening so fast it's a little scary. I'm also educating myself on the stock market, and am starting to allocate old 401K funds to self directed IRA.

It's hard to imagine you would be ready to buy a house before you start medical school, and I dont' think I'd recommend it. I think your goal should be to pay off your debt, and minimize your med school debt.

You do need to realize that med school and residency will be very time consuming, thus making it difficult to find time to pursue other income streams. It does take a lot of work to do other things. Kiyosaki worked hard to build a business, which failed and was rebuilt. He then sold that and started an education seminar business and bought a bunch of rental property. When he met his passive income goals, he retired and then came up with the Rich Dad idea. He started with the Cash Flow game, and then wrote the book and started the rich dad company. The company decided to publish the book as a way of selling the game. (This story can be pieced together from all the other books) So he wasn't financially free until age 47. It certanly can be done, but it takes time and a lot of work. Time is something you won't have in med school and residency. Maybe you should think about revisting your goals...you might want to postpone med school.

If you've seen my other posts, you know that I started surgery residency and then became unhappy with it. That unhappiness is what drove me to do other reading, which included Rich Dad and others. I quit residency, and am working nights covering surgical floors. My plan is to start anesthesia residency in a couple of years, but meantime I'm giving myself some time to see if I can get some passive income going. My level of success in that area will determine when (or if) I apply for anesthesia residency.
 
i love these guys that write these books......the number 1 goal of the author is to get you to BUY THE BOOK...everything else is conversation.

The book is great...........(for the author and publisher)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
library = good thing. At least read the book at the library to see if you like the basic concepts.

there's no such thing as a free lunch, as per (old) posts above.

I always get a kick out of the investment/savings strategies that stress things like..stop drinking coffee at starbucks! eat out less! pay down debt! save! All things in moderation, but if a $3 per week starbucks dring makes you happy, I'd disagree that it should be foregone to allow for retirement a few months earlier 40 years down the road (seriously, $3 for a 1x per week starbucks drink does not add up that fast). And if going out to eat a few times per month lets you destress w/significant other, and that prevents a very very very expensive divorce... go out to eat/movies/clubs!

Another philosophy is to pursue the mix that works best for you. I've heard anecdotally (parents of friends) that retiring at an early age, say mid 50's, sounds great but is very boring after a few years -- physically most don't need to retire at that age, are able to contribute lots more, and may decline in physical and mental ability if they stop participating fully in paid/unpaid work. I'd much rather work longer, earn more, and buy more of things that are not absolutely needed -- maybe a trip to europe every few years, new vehicle every 6-8 years, trips to see my grandkids couple times a year.
 
I don't think it's about retiring early for most folks. I think it's about financial freedom and the ability to be choosy. Most people HAVE TO go to work. Many wake up each morning going to a job they don't enjoy because they've got debt. Debt does not feel good. I'm talking credit cards, car loans, and loans from family, etc.

To escape debt you need money and it has to come from somewhere. Most strategies involve changing your mindset about what's really important to you. It's about delaying or limiting certain pleasures particularly if they are out of line with your financial situation. You must put into perspective your wants and your needs. Spending $300 a week on dinner even though your wifes a shopaholic and has maxxed out every credit she has ain't going to help your marriage. If you spend $10 a day on Starbucks, bringing a cup of joe from home or getting a cup at work could save you a $1000 at the end of the year.

You've got to start somewhere.
 
Yes I'd definitely agree, and personally put this in the category of "pursue the mix that works best for you"

A family friend retired when she was 45 -- she's probably late 70's now. Never married or had kids, but has now been retired more years than she's worked, has lots of friends and is in great health with homes in 2 states. That's her preferred mix. A relative has 5 kids. That (for this person) will involve paying for college until the relative is in their late 50's. Some people take high risk/high reward jobs, think real estate development - if they choose a site poorly, they could be looking at bankruptcy.

Yes, having higher income net of debt (sorry, I don't adhere to the "pay off all debt asap" philosophy, but rather to the "smooth out income and expenses over your lifetime" philosophy) allows one to be more choosy..and with this choosiness, some will prefer not to work, or to work fewer hours. A friend told me about the feeling he got upon realizing he was financially independant (in his 60s) and could quit whichever day he wanted, if things at work made him unhappy. He loved it.

Definitely it makes sense to consider expenses in light of total income, to make sure there's enough to cover what one determines to be "essentials". Lots of people don't have the discipline to say "no" to the newest, non-essential stuff, and need help with this. But just like diets and exercise, one has to think about the mix that works for them personally before committing to many life-changing methods that may not be long-term sustainable. So try to swap out that $10 daily 2-double grande mocha habit for 3 tall mochas per week; not for Folgers in a Thermos.