Just realized how proud we should all be of ourselves - a thread to cheer us all up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats your story? When did you decide and how does it feel now to look back and see how far you have come?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose to pursue this path while I was meandering through the forests of peru. It was a tiring trip, and as I stumbled onto a heard of yaks, I realized that I needed to return to the United States for an even tiring crusade. As I regress, I have made through most of this horrible struggle by forming a band that most of you know as sonic f**cking death monkey. This takes all the waiting out of my mind and lets me focus purely on our music.

P.S. Tenacious D is the greatest band on the earth with the greatest song in the world.

Great thread. This process is so lengthy and draining and expensive it's easy to lose sight of the attitude we had when we first started. For me that was the simple fact that I want to care about others more than I care about myself, through my love of medicine and biology.

If that's not a right motivation then I don't know what is.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm thinking of becoming a doctor because i like biology. i like multiple choice tests vs the projects in computer science. i don't have emotions during a surgery. and it pays good.
but i haven't decided between a doctor or a pilot

This thread is great. Great advice to those of us apply in a couple of years. Geez, it takes a heck of a lot of work just to get into med school. And if you think about it, we all are working so hard for a single piece of paper that says, "You're in!". Wonderful.

pj02007-

I've been a Navy pilot for the last 12 years and am getting out to start medical school this August (two acceptances so far, but got my mind set on one of them!) and would be happy to give you the inside gouge on the aviation field from my perspective.

Send me a private message with your email if you want.

Spang

Pre-meds,

Everyone begins medical school with some altruistic idea in mine. The infamous personal statement that you guys wrote this past year should provide some illustration on those ideas. When I started medical school, I began with the same ideas of helping others. However, as I went into my clinical years, I noticed how much physicians also hurt people. Medicine isn't a field of happiness and joy.

As your finicial debt increases and long call nights begin stressing your body, you begin to question why you wanted to become a physician.
In retrospect, there are three mandatory reasons to choose a career in medicine. One, medicine helps promote good health for the OVERALL society. Two, our profession includes the demand of life long learning (the field is always expanding). Three, It offers job security and stability that no other field offers. There are many conditional reasons to choose medicine. If you choose medicine to make a lot of money, withdrawl all your applications now, because there are plenty of ways to make more money faster.

Good luck. Remember, med school is what you make. It sucks only if you don't enjoy medicine.

Orthodog

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JulianCrane:
•we all are working so hard for a single piece of paper that says, "You're in!".•••••...or email :wink: .

What helped me in undergrad was that I used to set goals every 6 months and then just follow through for 6 months without sweating over other stuff. It was nothing formal. I didn't write anything down, I just thought casually about what I wanted to focus on for the next 6 months. Don't try to do everything at the same time. That sounds funny coming from me, but it's true. In a modified version of the words of Mark Twain; "you can put all your eggs in one basket for 6 months at a time, but DON'T take your freaking eyes off of that basket for a second"

Premeds,

I agree with the cynical post. Many of us went into it for the "right reasons", and yet still become disillusioned. That is actually one of the reasons I read this site... to remember why i'm doing what i'm doing. It's hard to remember sometimes.

The impact we can have on other people's lives is amazing. On friday, for one of the first times, I was able to diagnose a condition which we treated that same day, which may have saved a pt from a stroke or MI. It's days like that which really make it all worthwhile.

carry on@!

What a great idea for a thread...we all deserve a huge pat on the back =)=)