Rough start to Ortho Goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerfectMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Mid-tier med school. Currently 3 pubs- all first authors, 1 published abstract, 13 poster presentations (3 national), and 2 oral presentations (1 national). Here's the kicker, the first rotation was surgery and recieved a HP (0.8 % from honors). Gen surgery ate me, Ortho loved me. I've been bummed out about this? So ppl, how does this look? how should I translate this? Do I look forward and try to honor what's to come? Have I already put myself behind the eightball? Give it to me straight.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its ok. This is only one part of Equation. Try to have more H then not. All H is not always possible. Your research is good. Other part of equations are. Step score. AOA, Away rotation (3 atleast). Home rotation. LOR. MSPE. Broadly apply. Network and connections ( very important for ortho. Its a very small community and very close and tight). If you check mark most of above (not all), you stand a chance. Basically put check mark on following. Top tier USMD. Clerkship grades. Research. Step 2 score. AOA. Away rotation (at least 3). Home rotation (need To honor). LOR. MSPE. Broadly apply. Network and connections. more should be checked then not, then you are in business and have a chance. Lets just say, for now you may not check mark, first 2 points. Its ok. Try to check mark others. You cant always have all checked. Its not realistic.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above--you have an appropriate level of worry because you're aiming for a very competitive specialty and you don't have many opportunities to separate yourself from the pack, but all is not lost because of one grade. It just means you have to pick it up on your other clerkships.

You have a ton of research. Assuming that is all ortho-related, it may be worth talking with your mentors to figure out if you have "enough" once you include other projects that you presumably already have cooking. If you have several additional pubs and posters cooking, you may be able to start declining new projects and instead redouble your efforts towards honoring clerkships.

Reactions: 4 users