Just say 'no' to organic chem topics . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcat prep

Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wandering by and noticed questions on EDG and elimination. Save your energy!

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/

No chemistry of alkenes (that includes elimination, ozonolysis, etc.), alkynes, aromatics (yes, no benzene chemistry, no phenols, EDG/EWG, etc.) and no ether chemistry.

2015 will likely be quite different but for now, time is best spent studying topics on the AAMC's list.

Members don't see this ad.

alkenes (that includes elimination, ozonolysis, etc.), alkynes, aromatics (yes, no benzene chemistry, no phenols, EDG/EWG, etc.) and no ether chemistry.

Just to clarify, you're saying none of these topics are covered at all on the MCAT?? I've definitely seen benzene rings before on practice AAMC...in fact, I think it was Friedel Crafts

"Just to clarify, you're saying none of these topics are covered at all on the MCAT?? "
- That's correct.

" I've definitely seen benzene rings before on practice AAMC..."
- It is possible to see a benzene ring but no chemistry specific to it. For example, basic knowledge of Lewis structures, electron delocalization/resonance is still required.

"in fact, I think it was Friedel Crafts"
- This was removed in 2003 when they stopped making AAMC Test 1 and 2 (which did cover these topics). They revised their tests in 2007 (R) to be sure none were covered. If you have old tests then that's why. Otherwise, like any other science, the AAMC has the right to have passages based on advanced material as long as you are not expected to have known the content (i.e. the answers can be reasoned from the passage).

" Wouldn't elimination fall under alkane chemistry?"
- In some books, yes, but it often falls under alkene chemistry; but most importantly, it is not alkane chemistry in the AAMC's book. In 2007 they used to italicize the fact in their topic list that "alkene chemistry including elimination reactions" was no longer included as a possible topic. They dropped saying that but the topic never appears on real MCATs.