Just say something

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanabeDR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi every one I just have a simple Question, Do u think some one who is sophmore in Bio with GPA of (2.2) and sc GpA of (2.6) can graduate with 3.5 and go to med school Is that reasonabol... be unest will u

Members don't see this ad.

amisoone,

WELCOME TO SDN again!!!

The best person to talk to is an academic advisor. I was once a peer advisor and we have a table that calculates GPA and what you need to do to attain that goal of a 3.5gpa. So VISIT your academic staff advisor in your college.... They should be able to help you out.

Or you can calculate the probable outcomes of your gpa if you get a certain grade for a certain amount of units....

Anyway, Lots of luck though!!!

That someone better have a real academic turnaround. But, if the last few years he/she manages to bring their GPA up to the 3.3+ area and they do outstanding on the MCAT, they will have a chance. People get into med school with lower GPAs and such, but very inconsistently. To have a very good shot the GPA and MCAT have to show academic excellence.

Another idea is to take an extra year taking high level science courses to pad the GPA even more.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just work really hard from now on -really hard. :)

"Smerfs smile sexy so smile smerf style"

The first thing that I would do would be to figure out why this person wasn't making the grades now. If it is a matter of lack of focus or too much partying, that can be addressed. Just be sure to realize that, if the source of the problem is not eliminated, it is not likely that the grades will improve. If this person is currently trying very hard and still getting grades below 3.0, then it may be time to rethink career plans. Medical school is a competitive process and there are lots of 3.5 students that don't get in every year. You have to be realistic about future prospects before you throw thousands of dollars and years of your life away.

...of course it's possible. Retake pertinent classes with lowest grades (learn something, for MCAT's sake and "your" own). Work "your" ass off and get a 4.0. ANYONE can get a four-o if he/she works hard enough. It all depends on how badly this person WANTS to be a doctor. If it takes an extra year - ok, in the scheme of things, a year is almost nothing.

Hi Amisoone:

Assuming you've already completed two years of school, it will be impossible to graduate with a 3.5. Even if you get a 4.0 for the next two years, that will only raise your cumulative GPA to a 3.1, alas :(

The bad news is that this is liable to get you "screened out" during the application process. Many schools do an automatic numerical screening, and if you fall below their cut-offs, it's all over -- they won't even look at your application. To avoid this, consider taking an extra year of courses, or summer courses, to get your GPA up as high as possible.

The good news is that admissions committees love to see an "upward trend" in GPA. Get the best grades you can for your remaining time at school, then be prepared to write a letter of explanation or make some phone calls to the schools in question to try to get them to look at your application even if your GPA doesn't meet their minimum standards. It can be done -- there have been a few stories on this and other pre-med boards from people who were able to bypass the screening process -- but the upward trend in GPA is key, as is a convincing explanation for what went wrong those first few years.

Best of luck.

:) ;) :)

Originally posted by amisoone:
•hi every one I just have a simple Question, Do u think some one who is sophmore in Bio with GPA of (2.2) and sc GpA of (2.6) can graduate with 3.5 and go to med school Is that reasonabol... be unest will u•

I encourage all of you to stop responding to this thread. It is obvious to me that these spelling/grammatical errors are deliberate.

Originally posted by Stinky Tofu:
•I encourage all of you to stop responding to this thread. It is obvious to me that these spelling/grammatical errors are deliberate.•

Pretty suspicious looking, ain't it? ;)

Hi Stinky.

You may well be right that this is not a legitimate post, but I wouldn't discourage responses for three reasons.

First, even if the question isn't sincere, at least it's fairly innocuous. If the poster mentioned, say, that he/she were a URM, then I'd be convinced the post was only written to stir things up.

Second, even if this poster is making things up, there are plenty of other readers who may be in similar straits and will benefit from the advice.

Third, the post could be entirely genuine and have been composed by someone with dreadful typing skills.

first :) Thank u amore but I am not making up ;)
second ENGLISH is not my native language (I learned this language two years ago when I came to this country) althought I am working on to get better so would stop (Mr stinky )luaghing at my lack of English :oops: aahhh all I am asking you is u opinion on this very important matter :mad:

•first :) Thank u amore but I am not making up ;)

OK, I understand the second language bit, but how does that impede your copying someone's name, particularly omores? You named them amore??

Just wondering. :)

Stinky Tofu, I think you are on to something here :D :D :D

P.S. Stinky, I have a question about your name. My wife and I buy liquid tofu (I think that's what it is called :D) to make healthy shakes. Sometimes, we don't get to finish the entire package. . . One time, our fridge smelled like roadkill. After much searching and sniffing, we found our culprit, stinky, rotten tofu. Did you get the idea for your name from a similiar situation??

I have many friends and family members (including my parents) who learned English as a second language. The spelling/grammatical errors were done on purpose. Also, you don't have to be an American to know that with a 2.2/2.6 by the end of your second year, you have no chance at a 3.5 by the time you graduate. My feeling is that these trolls are trying to imply something about immigrants with these posts -- I hope I'm wrong. This user reminds me of Tiffany and gasdoc (pretending to be a user named Dung).

Originally posted by Col_4:14:
•Stinky Tofu, I think you are on to something here :D :D :D

P.S. Stinky, I have a question about your name. My wife and I buy liquid tofu (I think that's what it is called :D) to make healthy shakes. Sometimes, we don't get to finish the entire package. . . One time, our frig smelled like roadkill. After much searching and sniffing, we found our culprit, stinky, rotten tofu. Did you get the idea for your name from a similiar situation??•

Hahaha. :D Someone asked me the same question last week. :) No, Stinky Tofu is a Taiwanese dish that does stink, but in a different way. Maybe I should start using that explanation because it sounds more creative. ;) I guess a PGY-1 could be described as Stinky Tofu. They look and sound like a doctor, but something just doesn't seem right. :p

okay stinky, what ever u stinky name came from, you will never understand what immigrant students go throught, anyway I will show u that I will be in med school in two years whether u liked or not :D .... people like u don't discourage me acualy they make me more stronger and chalnging to reach my goals .. u will see Stinky ;) (if someone like u had maked MDschool anyone can do it) :eek:

•(if someone like u had maked MDschool anyone can do it) :eek:

If you trade made for maked you'll be that much closer to having this english thing down pat. :)