Just straight up answers. Make them clear as water PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecidedvet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so basically I've been on this website searching for 100% blunt answers and I cannot find them. I was thinking about taking the army hpsp scholarship. Well my first question is I wanna become a trauma surgeon and wanna know if the army will let me do my residency and fellowship. 2nd is I need to know if the navy will do the same for me cause I heard the army isn't cut out life it seems and has a horrible structure. Either way I wanna serve in the military as a trauma surgeon for 10-20 years.
Another 3rd question is will they demand me more coming out for the military? Does the military give me an edge as a trauma surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and another thing I'm in 12th grade and might have ADHD. I might start taking adderall. Should I or should I leave it?

Focus on getting into college and completing your undergrad degree first. You don't sign for the HPSP scholarship until after you have applied to and been accepted into medical school after undergrad. You might also want to drop the word "wanna" from your vocabulary.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no blunt answers. The only thing anyone can bluntly explain to you is that at this point you don't even know what you'll want to do in 4 years.

The Army may let you become a trauma surgeon, or they may not. It depends upon a variety of factors. It is possible. It is more likely than the Army letting you become a pediatric neurosurgeon, and less likely than your becoming a family medicine doc in an operational slot.

The military doesn't give a rat's ass what you think you want to become. If ifs and buts were beers and nuts, we'd all have a mighty fine time, but ultimately you'll either be a trauma surgeon or you won't. What that will probably mean, if you make it, is more frequent deployments while still doing less trauma than your counterparts at Shock Trauma.

Next: why 10 years? I would understand if you wanted to finish your ADSO and GTFO, or if you wanted to do 20 and retire, but 10 years does nothing for you.

If you need your adderall, take it. Otherwise don't. If you think you'll do fine without it so that you can obtain a scholarship, then you don't need it in the first place.

Okay so basically I've been on this website searching for 100% blunt answers and I cannot find them. I was thinking about taking the army hpsp scholarship. Well my first question is I wanna become a trauma surgeon and wanna know if the army will let me do my residency and fellowship. 2nd is I need to know if the navy will do the same for me cause I heard the army isn't cut out life it seems and has a horrible structure. Either way I wanna serve in the military as a trauma surgeon for 10-20 years.
Another 3rd question is will they demand me more coming out for the military? Does the military give me an edge as a trauma surgeon?
Oh and another thing I'm in 12th grade and might have ADHD. I might start taking adderall. Should I or should I leave it?

100% blunt answers? Ok.

1) You're in highschool. Your odds at this point of becoming a doctor are pretty small. Most people who want to be docs in highschool get weeded out down the road

2) ADHD? If it's real ADHD then your odds are virtually 0%. If it's the fake "oh I'm so distractable, tee hee hee" ADHD, then maybe a little better odds.

3) Trauma surgeon? Come back with this question if you make it through second year of med school. Almost everyone in highschool/college wants to be one of the "sexy" specialties... trauma surg, ER, neurosurgery... until they realize it's not like TV.

4) As for whether the army/navy/AF will let you... yes. They have spots for genSurg and then trauma fellowship. Whether thats a good thing for you or not is another issue. And one that's pointless to try and answer when you're in highschool.

Final blunt point; your questions are all akin to a 5 year old asking if they should get a Honda or a Chevy when they get their driver's license because one has a better sound system than the other. The landscape of military medicine and how they accept people into residency and the odds of such, and how they deploy people changes all the time. Answers now are useless to the field 10 years down the road. Finish highschool, get into college, do well in college. Then come back and ask your questions about the scholarship. Then get accepted to med school, do well in med school... and then ask your questions about residency. You'll get more useful information at that point.

Reactions: 2 users
ADHD = 0% chance of any service in the military in any branch.

If you want to be a bad ass trauma surgeon you don't want to be in the .mil at all, you want to do your fellowship at and be on the faculty at one of the major active level 1 trauma centers. There are many L1 trauma centers, but a few have a far more active knife and gun club than the rest. They will have the most experience AND use their trauma skills often. As opposed to the hernia and gall bladder clinic at the army hospital.

Thank you guys so much for the advice and amswers. I am really dedicated about this maybe I shouldn't go the military route.

Get through your collegiate organic chem sequence then ask questions.......I watched a 75% attrition rate in my cohort during ochem

Reactions: 1 user
Get through your collegiate organic chem sequence then ask questions.......I watched a 75% attrition rate in my cohort during ochem

I would agree.
Back in my day, my undergraduate college actually made General Biology a tough course and half left there
The remaining half were weeded out with Organic Chemistry.

As for ADHD? I can think of two individuals that I knew in the Army that had it? Where they diagnosed before comission? I have no idea and I am not sure if that has any bearing.

Yeah, sure you can do a trauma surgery fellowship, but unless you are on staff at a large center such as SAMMC or Beaumont (yes laugh, but they were at one time the only trauma center in El Paso, not sure if this is still the case?), then there is no point.

Just wait and see.

I would agree.
Back in my day, my undergraduate college actually made General Biology a tough course and half left there
The remaining half were weeded out with Organic Chemistry.
QUOTE]

Same here. The intro 3 Bio courses cut like half the pre-med folks out. Organic Chem in the 2nd or 3rd year took a large percentage of them too.