Just Took 2009 DAT... What to do after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the 2009 DAT and i got the same averages I have been getting on all my bootcamp tests except my QR score which was lower. Did anyone else think that the 2009 QR section was very hard?
On the real DAT, will there be errors such as in the 2009 DAT because that would be upsetting to lose points and lower your score because there are errors and they won't fix them.

Also, I have about 5 days before my test. What should I be doing in those days? I have gone through all of bootcamp tests and 2009 DAT. Should I relax with the studying or how should I study for these next few days?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the QR, PAT, and RC are not realistic on the 2009. For this reason, I didn't bother doing them. I heard QR is brutal on the 2009

The consensus on SDN for the 2009 DAT practice test is that the QR section is way harder.

There are a lot of mistakes on the 2009 exam.

When taking the real exam I didn't feel like there were questions that could have more than 1 answer as I did on the 2009 test. I think the real test are better written then the practice tests. If you only have 5 days left I would redo all of Chads GChem and OChem quizzes. They don't take to long to do and I thought the quizzes were fairly representative of the real exam.

Take it light the day before your exam.

The consensus on SDN for the 2009 DAT practice test is that the QR section is way harder.

There are a lot of mistakes on the 2009 exam.

When taking the real exam I didn't feel like there were questions that could have more than 1 answer as I did on the 2009 test. I think the real test are better written then the practice tests. If you only have 5 days left I would redo all of Chads GChem and OChem quizzes. They don't take to long to do and I thought the quizzes were fairly representative of the real exam.

Take it light the day before your exam.
I did not purchase chads videos. Is there an alternative to that for review?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not purchase chads videos. Is there an alternative to that for review?

If you used bootcamp or qvault you could go over your old tests. I wouldn't focus so much on bio because your knowledge is pretty much locked in at this point. Perhaps go over your bio flashcards etc at the end of the day but when your mind is fresh it's easiest to boost your GChem and OChem scores.

If you used bootcamp or qvault you could go over your old tests. I wouldn't focus so much on bio because your knowledge is pretty much locked in at this point. Perhaps go over your bio flashcards etc at the end of the day but when your mind is fresh it's easiest to boost your GChem and OChem scores.
Okay thanks. I know the bootcamp questions pretty well so I will review my chems

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, thank you for this thread. I'm a student who has yet to take the 2009 Practice DAT. I'm still confused about it. On DAT Bootcamp, it says to order and take the Practice DAT. I see a free PDF of this exam on the ADA page. So do I print this out, do the test, then print out the order form, attach it to my test, and it'll get scored and sent back to me with a report? Or does something else happen?

Hi, thank you for this thread. I'm a student who has yet to take the 2009 Practice DAT. I'm still confused about it. On DAT Bootcamp, it says to order and take the Practice DAT. I see a free PDF of this exam on the ADA page. So do I print this out, do the test, then print out the order form, attach it to my test, and it'll get scored and sent back to me with a report? Or does something else happen?

Are you referring to this practice test: https://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_test_sampleitems.ashx

If so that's the 2007 ADA free practice test and not the 2009 Practice DAT.

You have to pay for the 2009 practice test.

Personally, my last 5 days I just went through summaries. Maybe read feralis 1 time, go over orgo reactions, light review of stuff in GC.

That's about 1 day of work.

I did PAT practice every day up to it.

I would spend maybe 3.5 hours studying total per day. Keep it light and rest your mind.

Diet: get your sugars up. I ate lots of fruits, protein and carbs. Eat clean. Eat things that won't slow you down. Lots and lots of water!!

Sleep well and relax. You'll need the endurance for the full exam!!

Are you referring to this practice test: https://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_test_sampleitems.ashx

If so that's the 2007 ADA free practice test and not the 2009 Practice DAT.

You have to pay for the 2009 practice test.

Ah, yes that's the one I was referring to. Thanks for the clarification. So if I complete that practice DAT form and send it in, will I be mailed the 2009 DAT? And then do I send it back, and it'll return to me with a report?

Ah, yes that's the one I was referring to. Thanks for the clarification. So if I complete that practice DAT form and send it in, will I be mailed the 2009 DAT? And then do I send it back, and it'll return to me with a report?

When you take the 2007 ADA Test you don't send anything in. You have to calculate your score yourself. The answers to the test are given. There are quite a few mistakes on the 2007 ADA test but you can use SDN to find which problems are wrong.

I personally purchased the online version of the 2009 ADA practice test which can be done using the Prometric website: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/ADA/Pages/landing.aspx.

When you take the online version of the 2009 ADA you can't see what questions you got wrong nor can you review any of the questions. They simply give you a score report for each section.

Purchasing the paper version of the test is a huge pain because you have to sign up for a memership which is $60 and then you can purchase the test and have it mailed to you.

Someone who purchased the paper version would know a little more about how you can order it so I would ask them unless your okay with taking the online version.