Just took my DAT today- and u all thought I was crazy !! ;) lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colt 45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am the guy who decided to leave med school after finishing the first year to apply to dental school :) I just took the DAT today.... here are my scores:

Bio:22
GC: 23
OC: 24
TS: 23
PAT: 18
QR:18
RC:23
AA:22

PAT has always been my weakness- so an 18 was actually a pretty good score for me :) (81.9%)

I am in such a good mood right now!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone who has yet to take the DAT!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I live in NYC and wanted to stay relatively close to the city, so I applied to NYU, UCONN, Stony Brook, and UMDNJ- NYU is my top choice (I know its over-priced and has a huge class size, but its in an amazing area! lol - I have made the decision to pay for my youthful ignorance when i am older and wiser ;) lol )

I live in NYC and wanted to stay relatively close to the city, so I applied to NYU, UCONN, Stony Brook, and UMDNJ- NYU is my top choice (I know its over-priced and has a huge class size, but its in an amazing area! lol - I have made the decision to pay for my youthful ignorance when i am older and wiser ;) lol )

Great Decision Bro, I applied to the same schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you decide to leave Medical School? I am trying to evaluate my options too. Thanks.

Why did you decide to leave Medical School? I am trying to evaluate my options too. Thanks.

ok, so the reason I left medical school was because I didnt like the physician's lifestyle- something I didnt really get a firm grasp on until I worked alongside them and sat through their lectures. I decided that if I was going to spend all of those years in school/residency, I didnt wanna deal with the headaches that come along with the profession (namely HMOs, insanely expensive malpractice insurance, etc etc...)- not to mention the relatively mediocre income (considering how much time/sacrifice u put into ur education). My sister is a dentist (she graduated from NYU in '99) and I spent some time with her in her office and saw what a GREAT life it was- not to mention that a lot of the patients needed procedures that werent covered by insurance (which of course means that they paid CASH! :) ) I still shadow her in her office a couple of times a week and love how much time she has for her family and how much less stressful the environment is when compared to that of a physician.
I guess ur decision will depend on why u want to be a physician. For me, (unfortunately) income was a huge part of the equation- and they kept stressing to us throughout the year that if ur in it for the money, u might as well get out now because medicine is not as lucrative as it once was.... so just really be honest with yourself as to why u think u wanna be a physician and go with that....sorry for babbling on and on...hope this helps...if u have any more questions, feel free to ask :)