Just took my first practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaEighteen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.. I just took my first practice MCAT and got PS 5 , VR 9, BS 6 Total: 20.

I am pretty bummed out about this but, considering these scores. What should I do to increase my chances of getting a much better grade? Are there certain things I should focus on?

I am planning on taking the MCAT in March or April. Would this be enough time for me to prepare to get 30+

TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I am pretty bummed out about this but, considering these scores. What should I do to increase my chances of getting a much better grade? Are there certain things I should focus on?

I am planning on taking the MCAT in March or April. Would this be enough time for me to prepare to get 30+

TIA.

Have you finished your content review? Take lots of practice tests too after you finish your content review, it will improve. 9 on VR for the first time is pretty good!

TIA.

22 to 37 on my last practice test. not done with content review yet sadly. i think youd be fine, since your verbal is at a 9 already which is the hardest section to improve

Have you finished your content review? Take lots of practice tests too after you finish your content review, it will improve. 9 on VR for the first time is pretty good!

I'm not done with content review yet, but have almost finished reading through all the EK set, I feel that these dont properly prepare you for taking the actual MCAT? I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not done with content review yet, but have almost finished reading through all the EK set, I feel that these dont properly prepare you for taking the actual MCAT? I could be wrong though.

try reading EK books more slowly, let everything sink in. Take notes. If that doesn't do it, then try use another company books, perhaps EK books are too concise for you. You have plenty of time improve.

And will practice it'll only get better !

I think EK does a good job for those who have recently taken the prereq's. I haven't taken gen chem in over 4 years and so the EK gen chem book wasn't really for me. But their biology books and verbal books are amazing. Some chapters in the gen chem book were better than others...

I took extremely thorough notes on every chapter and that helped me the most. I also watched tons of animations (KhanAcademy and just google searched) of every topic for each chapter. Bio/Physiology are my biggest strengths so EK really solidified those subjects well.

It took me almost a month or two to really start seeing improvements. I just started breaking into double digits for verbal and I am 4 months in! If there is anything I have learned throughout this painful experience is that this test will break you into pieces but as long as you're persistent and have determination/drive you will improve.

3 letters.... TBR.

That's not a bad diagnostic. I've heard of waaaaay worse. But you've still got tons of time to improve upon that score. Pick up another companies material if the pre-reqs aren't as fresh for you as EK needs them to be.

Good luck!

Keep your head up. In fact, I would actually be confident if I were you. The 9 on the VR is pretty good for a first stab. The sciences can be dramatically improved once you get some practice with the passages and go over all of the content. I got a 22 on my first diagnostic: 5 PS , 7 VR, 10 BS and I pulled out a 35 on the real thing, although I was consistently hitting 31 on my diagnostics during the end. So, just be consistent in your studying/practicing. And, most importantly, have some fun while you're prepping for the MCAT. If you don't have any fun, you will get burned out, for the prepping process is sooooo frustrating, but it's worth it, if you put your mind to it well. I studied for the test this past summer, and I went to the bars occasionally with friends just to blow off some steam. It was good medicine. Obviously you don't have to include alcohol into your venting process, but just get out and hang out with friends or something along that nature.

Don't worry. My diagnostic was a 19 on TPR 1. Which test did you use? I took one after only 1 week of content review, but after finishing most of it, I started seeing 28-30. I would have done review on top of that and more problems, but I ended up getting sick and pushed the test back anyway. Just make sure to do a lot of problems (passages as well, not just free standing) to supplement your studying. Remember, you can think you know something, but you don't really know it unless you can answer specific questions on it.

Don't worry. My diagnostic was a 19 on TPR 1. Which test did you use? I took one after only 1 week of content review, but after finishing most of it, I started seeing 28-30. I would have done review on top of that and more problems, but I ended up getting sick and pushed the test back anyway. Just make sure to do a lot of problems (passages as well, not just free standing) to supplement your studying. Remember, you can think you know something, but you don't really know it unless you can answer specific questions on it.

AMCAS 3R, about to take another practice Exam in the next couple of days. I've been working on doing some more passages rather than stand alone questions, since those seem to be more prominent on the actual MCAT.

AMCAS 3R, about to take another practice Exam in the next couple of days. I've been working on doing some more passages rather than stand alone questions, since those seem to be more prominent on the actual MCAT.

My advice would be to use EK as a general outline rather than relying on it to bring you to a 30+ score. While you're reading through the books, pinpoint ANY spots where you'll think you'll have hesitation if you were asked about it and then supplement studying that topic using textbooks/the internet/other review books. Also, I would save most of the AAMC practice tests until about a month before you take the MCAT to gauge exactly what you should expect to get on the real MCAT and that way, you'll know whether you should push your test date back or not. In the meantime, try other practice tests

Are you following the outline on EK.com? Reading the material is required but doing the problems are key.

I love EK so far, three weeks left. My strategy has been to pre read, 2nd read highlight and take notes. I only give myself about a minute for the questions and move on. Take and review thoroughly the chapter exams. Complete the extra problems on the weekend.

I have two friends who scored 35 and 37 using EK.

i do not know how i will do on the mcat cuz i take in 2 weeks (29th).

on the first full length i took, which was a kaplan diagnostic, i got a 13. yes a 13... now i score around 30 (27 28 etc).

diagnostics are crap. of course you will do bad your first time with no content review / practice... why wouldnt you.

if you practice you will do great