Just Took The GRE General And....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kushkeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
..... BOMBED it.

I won't embarrass myself further by citing my scores, but let's just say I don't think I'm going to be applying to grad school anymore. I don't stand a chance, and I am being completely objective when I say that. Even if I were to take it again and do outrageously spectacular, I would still have a low average of the two tests. So Adios folks! I guess I"ll just be a waitress for the rest of my life.

Don't stress out about the test if you haven't taken it yet though. It wasn't very hard. Very similar, in fact, to the practice tests they give you in the study books. I'm just not good at standardized tests. I"m sure you guys will do really well.

Some advice? Practice reading comprehension. It seemed like there was more of that than I expected.

Members don't see this ad.

Kush,

I'm very sorry :-( What about masters programs? Or PsyD.? PsyD doesn't even require a GRE...it might cost more but at least you still get to practice in the end, plus they have a high acceptance rate.

I'm totally stressed out about it..........I noticed on my last practice test that had a low score had lots of reading comp.

Don't give up...just reevaluate!

..... BOMBED it.

What percentiles are you in? Are you sure you're not overexaggerating? You can always go to a Canadian school where it's cheaper and they care little for the GRE besides the fact that you wrote it.....

Members don't see this ad :)
twiggers said:
Kush,

I'm very sorry :-( What about masters programs? Or PsyD.? PsyD doesn't even require a GRE...it might cost more but at least you still get to practice in the end, plus they have a high acceptance rate.

I'm totally stressed out about it..........I noticed on my last practice test that had a low score had lots of reading comp.

Don't give up...just reevaluate!

Twiggers,

The sad part is, I didn't even do well enough to make the cut off for the Master's Program I was going to apply to, thus the reason for my defeatist attitude. Told ya I was being totally objective about my scores!!! Thanks for the encouragement regarding your suggestion on Psy.D schools, though. I know it is still an option, but the thought of dishing out that much money, when i still have loans to pay off from my undergrad years, is just not very appealing.

Don't stress out about the test though, as I said. The reason I did poorly is not because the test was terribly difficult. It was very doable in fact. I did poorly for a few reasons. One reason is I didn't concentrate enough on studying for the math portion. Math is my weakest area, and unfortunately, it's also the area I least like doing. I knew I wasn't devoting enough time on it when I was studying, but I honestly HATE doing math and just couldn't get myself motivated. Also, with regard to vocab, I only learned the most frequently used GRE words, and I only practiced reading comprehension a hand full of times. Despite planning for this test several months in advance, I just couldn't get very motivated when I was studying. It was just so damn boring, and it seemed so overwhelming to learn everything you had to know. The one study book I purchased had 3,500 vocab words in it, and I was not about to learn them all. I think I would have done a lot better if I had applied myself more in terms of practicing more often.

By the way, the writing portion was very easy. I have no doubt that I did extremely well on that part of the test. I wouldn't devote too much time on preparing for that part as long as you are used to writing organized essays in a timed fashion. I would concentrate on whatever your weakest point is, and if you don't have a weak point then I would practice a lot on reading comprehension. If nothing else, work on the speed with which you read as that will save you a lot of time on the test.

If you have any questions for me about the exam feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to help you. I"m not supposed to give out sample questions or anything like that, but I can help guide you in your studying. Like I said before, the test was almost identical to the practice tests they use in the study books. Even the passages used in the reading comprehension were very similiar in style and topic.

[email protected]

Thanks for the advice Kush! Mine is on Monday so this weekend is crunch studying time. Last practice test I bombed both areas, but mainly because I missed the first couple questions which are supposed to be the killer. Timewise I've been OK..I read really fast and have lots of time leftover so I'm actually practicing this weekend to slow down a little.
Don't give up! The PsyD is expensive but if it's what you really want.....student loans are 30 years at pretty low interest rates....maybe there are some schools that aren't as expensive as others.
If it's not private practice you want...then maybe child development or human development PhD programs might be better...I know their scores are lower than the psych programs.

Oh Yes, I do remember that feeling of bombing the GRE. English is not my native language and I to did not do well due to fear of standardized testing. But I knew that I wanted to become a psychologist and I would not quite so I applied to a masters program in MHC which helped me improve GPA, letters of recommendations and networking. I am now almost finished with my 1st year in PsyD program and I am loving it.

Yes, it?s costing me an arm and a lag and a liver :D but I am doing what I have been dreaming of doing and I think it worth it. Just a correction, PsyD programs require that you take the GRE?s (at least mine did) but it?s not the main criteria that they use for admissions.

So, if you really want psychology and you don?t see yourself doing anything else, KEEP Fighting!!!

Hiya,

Several friend sof mine are applying to PsyD programs and their's do not require it....I am sure it varies from school to school.

Kushkee, I'm sorry, that really sucks. But, don't let it get the better of you. You have options still. I would absolutely still apply to school and address your gre in your paper. Talk about not testing well and play up everything else. You can also still take the test again and apply the following semester if time is a problem. This may be a big bump in the road, but it doesn't have to prevent you from achieving your goals.

Christina