Just what kind of grades does it take...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iowatheodore

n00b
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the large hurdle of getting into medical school, I was wondering just how much grades will mean to the average med student trying to get into a family practice residency. As long as board scores are fine and graduating is not in question, that is. Don't get me wrong, I know that learning information now for the patients' sakes in the future is first and foremost, but grades do seem rather nebulous now as compared to undergrad.

Wouldn't a polite, practically capable student with a 2.0 GPA have great chances in securing a typical FP spot? It seems to me there are many spots that go unfilled every year. As they used to say, "C for certificate."

Please don't flame me too horribly :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

After the large hurdle of getting into medical school, I was wondering just how much grades will mean to the average med student trying to get into a family practice residency. As long as board scores are fine and graduating is not in question, that is. Don't get me wrong, I know that learning information now for the patients' sakes in the future is first and foremost, but grades do seem rather nebulous now as compared to undergrad.

Wouldn't a polite, practically capable student with a 2.0 GPA have great chances in securing a typical FP spot? It seems to me there are many spots that go unfilled every year. As they used to say, "C for certificate."

FP all you have to do is pass. But if you don't do anything during your first 2 years you won't be able to pass boards.

As you said, many FP spots go unfilled every year. You will be able to match into a FP residency. However, it will be much more difficult to get a specific site if you have crappy grades, so-so LOR's, & barely passed both sets of boards.

All that being said, pre-clinical grades are one of the last things programs look at. Board scores & clinical grades are much much more important to most programs. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you said, many FP spots go unfilled every year. You will be able to match into a FP residency. However, it will be much more difficult to get a specific site if you have crappy grades, so-so LOR's, & barely passed both sets of boards.

All that being said, pre-clinical grades are one of the last things programs look at. Board scores & clinical grades are much much more important to most programs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, didn't know the emphasis on clinical grades.

This is definitely true. While FP is not super-competitive like many of the other specialties, certain programs are in fact very competitive. If you want to get into one of these competitive FP programs, then your clinical grades will definitely be of greater benefit than your pre-clinical, and good Board scores are always useful for getting your foot in the door. Most of all, rotating at a site you are interested in and totally kicking ass there is one of the most important things you can to do get into a program...this goes for practically any program.

Do you have a pulse? Not to rip on family med, but there are so many spots unfilled each year that you would have to be missing half of your brain to not get one.

Do you have a pulse? Not to rip on family med, but there are so many spots unfilled each year that you would have to be missing half of your brain to not get one.

I have to echo what danclear said. There are family medicine programs, and then there are Family Medicine Programs. Believe it or not, there actually are some pretty big differences in quality and prestige among programs.

If you are serious about FM, and want to get into a decent program, you should do as everyone else does in your first two years, and that is your very best. Study to learn, not to get into residency. If you do, the rest will follow just fine.