Justifying Out of State Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't doubt the last 4 years are hardcore, but the first 4 were a lot of fun and, though a lot of work, relatively easy.

LOL! :) Can I trade you educational experiences? 4am wake up M-S, 40-50+ hour work weeks, and 1am bed times after changing diapers on terminal stage cancer patients meant that the first 4 weren't very much fun. :thumbdown:

:love:I love learning, I think the world of my undergrad, and I was obviously willing to trade a lot to get my degree, but for some of us the first 4 years were hardcore. I honestly expect the first 4 to be harder than the next 4, since I won't have to work FT while attending school FT. :claps:

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly expect the first 4 to be harder than the next 4, since I won't have to work FT while attending school FT. :claps:

Uh oh...get ready for the deluge of "Ha, as if! You have no idea what vet school is like, you can't possibly imagine till you've been here" etc. etc.

It sounds to me, though, like you'll be well prepared to manage your time, establish priorities, and do the hard word necessary. Good luck with admissions!

I don't doubt the last 4 years are hardcore, but the first 4 were a lot of fun and, though a lot of work, relatively easy.

Um, you really weren't around for my undergrad. Not easy. Not fun. Lots of work. Large competitive school, working 2 jobs, taking care of my sister, having a dying parent. Oh yes, it was just a friggin blast. :rolleyes:

And I think a lot of other pre-vets around here could possibly take offense at calling their struggles easy. It certainly isn't easy for many folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh oh...get ready for the deluge of "Ha, as if! You have no idea what vet school is like, you can't possibly imagine till you've been here" etc. etc.

It sounds to me, though, like you'll be well prepared to manage your time, establish priorities, and do the hard word necessary. Good luck with admissions!

I don't expect the course work or schedule to be easy, but I won't have to work for pay at all. I use to get up before 4am to deliver newspapers on a walking route for 2-3 hours M-S, then I worked in between my classes as a class TA and lab TA and tutor. I then worked from 6:00pm - midnight, M-F as a CNA. Because I was a 'short-timer' (not a career CNA) I was posted with end stage cancer patients and late stage alzheimers patients (particularly violent ones.) I watched over 20 people die through my college career, and I changed diapers, bathed withering bodies, restrained patients, and consoled families. On weekends, I worked two twelve hour shifts as a welder at a manufactured building factory.

Maybe I can't imagine how hard it will be, but I seriously doubt it can be worse emotionally/mentally than what I have already dealt with. I did attend an excellent undergrad with some impressive history, lack of grade inflation, and that required a research thesis with defence for graduation. Also, for my first 3 years of college, my father was angry with me, so the only person in my family who would acknowledge my existance was my grandmother. I literally didn't speak to a family member or a member of my home community (a very small farming community where everyone knows everyone.) I know a lot of people feel homesick...but I felt like I had lost everything about my home. I honestly, now, look back and can't imagine how I survived those 4 years. I didn't attend a single social function at my college, and wouldn't have made it except for a few really close friendships, a very small campus of supportive students and professors, and a couple of great advisors.

Now, at least, I don't have to worry about how I will have food each day and I have the love and support of my husband, a home to come back to, and civil, if strained, relations with my family.

I really appreciate the vote of confidence in the ability to juggle priorities, now hopefully some ad-com will feel that way as well.

And I think a lot of other pre-vets around here could possibly take offense at calling their struggles easy. It certainly isn't easy for many folks.

I don't think she was devaluing others' struggles or calling them easy. She was just saying that her undergrad experience was not as difficult for her.

IMHO, I know that it's not really fair that vets don't make as much as some doctors or lawyers even though we go through just as difficult an education. However, I'm not going to complain about something I willingly chose to pursue, full aware of its financial prospects. Life's not fair in general. It's not fair that Paris Hilton does nothing and makes more money than a vet. Oh well, tough toenails!;)

Go to the cheaper school, unless you can pay it or have help.

The difference in tuition is much much different once you graduate than what you think before.

I say this as a hypocrite because I chose a school which was about 10K per year more in tuition than my "in state" and I also had the choice to go to Ohio, which would have been even cheaper (since I could have changed my state residency). And I had no finances to pay it out of poket or help (Uncle Sam and Ciltibank were my "help")

You don't say this as a hypocrite at all......you say it from experience which is worth a lot more than someone's .02!

sunstorm...just to be clear, I hope you don't think I was at all trying to say you don't know what's coming your way...actually just the opposite.

I sometimes get sick of the contingent that tries to tell prevets (all prevets, regardless of what they've personally experienced) that vet school will be harder than what they've been through before. I'm not one of them. I don't think blanket statements like that work, particularly not for individuals like you who have traveled a much different path than the "usual" one.

I just wanted to be clear on that! (Especially since tone and intent often get lost over the "interwebs." :))

VAgirl, I appreciate the clarity and the thought! Thank you.

gone

Last edited:
Money, whether we like it not, is a relevant issue in veterinary medicine. It does suck that our debt to income ratio is upside down for a heck of a lot longer than our other health care practitioner colleagues.

It's one of those personal economic-psychological trade-offs you make to do what you want to do.

Although there are those who may disagree; I think it's much easier to make more money if you're "happier" in your job.;)

Money, whether we like it not, is a relevant issue in veterinary medicine. It does suck that our debt to income ratio is upside down for a heck of a lot longer than our other health care practitioner colleagues.

It's one of those personal economic-psychological trade-offs you make to do what you want to do.

Although there are those who may disagree; I think it's much easier to make more money if you're "happier" in your job.;)

That's true :) Since our debt is such a pain, any client complaints about $45 office calls are going to be falling on some very deaf ears.

Did anyone pick OOS over IS and stay happy with the decision, for whatever reason?

gone

Last edited:
I think lailanni was expressing an opinion, not a business plan.

Personally, I wouldn't let clients dictate my fees.

For example, I work with techs and receptionists with families and homes and I know that when I am a vet, even with a ton of debt, I will have more expendable income than they do.

Well, if we want to compare anecdotes, I have one that's directly opposing to yours (the 1982 vet.) A lab tech I know worked with a veterinarian a few years ago who, after paying student loans and covering other normal monthly bills, had less discretionary income than the kennel workers at the hospital. Granted, kennel workers are often young and so don't have a lot of monthly bills to cover or debt to pay off, but still.

i really need to think about this. . . .i am IS florida, and don't even know if i am interviewed/accepted yet. for now. .. i have multiple OOS acceptances.

I would like to know about people who did choose the OOS option. . .and what there opinions are.

You know, you don't see many dentists letting patients negotiate down their fees, do you? Why do some vets do this? I agree wholeheartedly that clients need to be educated about the value of veterinary services and that clients must assume fiduciary responsibility for choosing to take care of an animal. Guess what? I've got loans to pay back and food to put on the table. I'm not going to feel bad about charging what I feel my service is worth. If clients don't pay their bills, they're dismissed from the practice and their account is going to collection, period.

I have no problem working hard for clients, but it's not free. They may not like it, but at least they'll be fully informed. It'll help to keep the dead weight, deadbeat clients away.

I'm picking dentists because they are similar to vet med in that peoples' discretionary income dictates how much service they'll purchase. Also, there is less comprehensive dental insurance out there and a lot of folks pay out-of-pocket for care, much like veterinary medical care for pets.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited: