Juvenile Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxx52188

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 16, i was convicted of driving with out a license and then giving false information to a peacekeeper. The staff at the juvenile probation dept have said they do not epunge juvenile records, but if i go through the process of sealing the records. NO ONE will have my record. Can medical schools view sealed records? Do i even need to worry about these convictions? i was 16...i was just being a stupid kid.

on top of that, the convictions are under a different name than was i use now (long story)

Members don't see this ad.

I almost 100% sure that all juvenile records will not show up on background checks unless the records contain felony charges.

A couple of points:

1) I would call the jurisdiction where you were arrested and ask them to check the status of the records. If they were sealed, you are fine. If not you need to address that.

2) Stupid kid or not, a conviction of lying to a cop ~5 years ago (assuming you are a traditional pre-med) is not something to laugh off. If it comes up you need to be able to explain what you learned and that you have grown up.

3) Make sure you know what you were convicted/plead to (see #1 again) and read all questions on ALL applications carefully. Depending on the wording you may be obligated to admit and explain.

4) The name change is irrelevant, you have to disclose all names you have EVER used when they do the background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of points:

1) I would call the jurisdiction where you were arrested and ask them to check the status of the records. If they were sealed, you are fine. If not you need to address that.

2) Stupid kid or not, a conviction of lying to a cop ~5 years ago (assuming you are a traditional pre-med) is not something to laugh off. If it comes up you need to be able to explain what you learned and that you have grown

I'll be 24 when i start applying. The record can be sealed and i was told dept of justice, juvenile probation, etc will have no record of it. But it's my understanding some government agencies AND medica school can see past that. I WAS convicted. The fees were paid, and the cases were finished.

On your AMACAS (primary) application you do not need to disclose juvenile records. I have also called the Certiphi company that does the background checks and he said juvenile records almost NEVER come up except in extreme cases. I'm guessing these extreme cases are murder, rape, other felonies etc.

Here it is straight from AMCAS: "Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?"

I am assuming your charges were misdemeanors.

Last edited:
On your AMACAS (primary) application you do not need to disclose juvenile records. I have also called the Certiphi company that does the background checks and he said juvenile records almost NEVER come up except in extreme cases. I'm guessing these extreme cases are murder, rape, other felonies etc.

Here it is straight from AMCAS: "Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?"

I am assuming your charges were misdemeanors.

Correct. Both were traffic misdemeanors.

Thanks!