K-Staters - tell me about your equine program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McVillesMom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...just wanting some info on what the equine program is like at K-State. Caseload, equine population (mostly Western, or is it more diverse?) etc...

Also any general info on the area would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an equine person and haven't had that rotation yet...but...I think our equine department is pretty darn good. I'd guess we have a medium/average to high caseload compared to other places across the board. All of our equine people are really nice and VERY good at what they do. We do see a lot of performance (Western) horses, but a good number of Standardbreds and TBs. Some dressage/equitation horses, though not as many as those who make their living on the track. :) Plenty of halter horses, too. And don't forget the minis, donkeys, mini-donks and mini-zebras...

Probably not very helpful, but that's all I know. Usually the equine folks are pretty busy. The economy has hurt EVERYONE's caseload, so just keep that in mind....

I'm just a first-year with barely half a clue, but when I wander through the equine facilities and/or go to rounds, there always seems to be something interesting going on. From the other schools I'm acquainted with, I'd agree with alliecat that we're probably in the middle-high range for equine caseload.