'k. This whole thing is intimidating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMWNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright I get that I'm 27 so it's a little late to be finding out how the world works.
I read sdn for fun nowadays (ha.) and I'm always hungry for information.

It's starting to dawn on me that I don't know squat. I've never said I came from a disadvantaged background because my life is what I know nor do I spend time comparing to other people

But I come here, I don't know wth many are talking about, was not exposed to many things kids mention oh so casually, had to google CV, my family has done the best they could in their circumstances while kids are talking about parent doctors yadda yadda

I'd just appreciate some perspective. I'm ready to work hard, appreciate that I may not have a clue of what hard really is

But in my defense, I don't know what I haven't seen. How is this the first time in life that it's sinking in .. The difference between the have and the have nots

And more importantly, forget excuses, how do I catch up or even get ahead

I ask that you approach this post as answers for dummies. I'm not dumb but I'm also not too proud to start at the very top. Basics. Yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright I get that I'm 27 so it's a little late to be finding out how the world works.

It's starting to dawn on me that I don't know squat. I've never said I came from a disadvantaged background because my life is what I know nor do I spend time comparing to other people

But I come here, I don't know wth many are talking about, was not exposed to many things kids mention oh so casually, had to google CV, my family has done the best they could in their circumstances while kids are talking about parent doctors yadda yadda

I'd just appreciate some perspective. I'm ready to work hard, appreciate that I may not have a clue of what hard really is

But in my defense, I don't know what I haven't seen. How is this the first time in life that it's sinking in .. The difference between the have and the have nots

I ask that you approach this post as answers for dummies. I'm not dumb but I'm also not too proud to start at the very top. Basics. Yeah.

That's a good start. Now that you realize this, you need to continue to work on it. Realizing your problems and actually working on them are completely different.

If I were you, I would read the thread that is going through this year's application process. If you come across anything that you don't know what it means, either ask or research it on your own. Even if you research it on your own, I would ask just to make the information a little more concrete.
I am not sure what you don't know...and I know what you mean by how you don't know what you don't know! haha I am from a family that was part of the "Have Not" crowd.

There's a sticky on this board full of frequently asked questions. Read through it and then make a thread addressing any questions you have.

STAY AWAY FROM THE PRE-ALLO BOARD (at least for now). ;-)

Good advice above - reading through a few threads can give a few good nuggets...of what you'll have to decide.

Truth is SDN is just a lifeline or a security blanket, or a way some folks try to help out. You're fine for not knowing SDN lingo, or not being a huge poster. I'm certainly not anyway.

After you've read a bit, fire away with Q's and a bunch of folks here will please post direct and hopefully informative answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have specific questions in mind?

STAY AWAY FROM THE PRE-ALLO BOARD (at least for now). ;-)

OP take the advice above seriously.

I'm not sure if you have a specific question or if you don't know where the process begins and ends. Here is the basic run down. You must complete your pre-med requirements (Google them if you don't know what they are) and take the MCAT before applying to Med school; Physician shadowing and Volunteering are the most important Extracurricular activities that are recommended to be performed prior to applying. You can become a Physician by obtaining an MD or DO degree; they are virtually indistinguishable. You will be required to complete a Purpose Statement that will be submitted with your application. Your Primary App is transmitted to Med schools through designated services that will gather all your transcripts, do GPA calculations and verify coursework before sending this information to each school that you apply to. The application process occurs in two stages; the primary and the secondary.

Every school is different so its best to check the schools requirements prior to applying; some schools require Calc while others just require a full year of college level math. Some schools require labs while some schools don't; it is your responsibility to check with the schools. If you are going to be a Med student become comfortable calling the schools and asking for clarification when needed. Welcome to the marathon remember to pace yourself and don't stop running until you reach the finish line.

Last edited:

What do you want to know, exactly?

If you're clueless about the process, read Ryan Aycock's book, "The Not So Short Introduction to Getting Into Medical School." You'll find it here:

http://prehealth.ua.edu/wp-content/...o-short-guide-to-getting-in-to-med-school.pdf