Hello! I am currently a National Health Corps Florida AmeriCorps member and based on your post and your interests in public health, I would definitely recommend this program. The program is a 10.5 month program (August to July) focused on public health, health education, etc. There are several operating sites located nationwide in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Florida, and most recently Delaware. Members serve at different host sites around the area. My host site that I serve at is an addiction treatment center, but there are other members serving at hospitals (such as UF Health), some are at community clinics, YMCAs, elementary schools, etc. At my host site, I teach patients health and wellness education classes, facilitate activities for patients such as gardening and art. I also meet individually with patients to help connect them with resources around the area if they need them. What members do vary depending on their position and their host site. Members serve about 40 hours a week at their host sites (which are all non-profit organizations). The positions and host sites vary by location.
Just for some more specifics about the program:
- 1700 hours of direct service to medically underserved populations
- Living stipend of ~$1,200 a month (I know, not a lot, but the stipend is higher next year)
- Upon successful completion of the program, you receive an education award of over $6,000 that you can use towards existing student loans and future schooling
- Time off for holidays, personal days, and med school interviews
- Professional development and networking opportunities
- Monthly (or more) group service projects, including Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, homeless shelters, food banks, soup kitchens, sports for the developmentally or physically disabled. Members also definitely have time to volunteer on their own time as well, which can also count towards program hours! Many members volunteer individually at clinics, shelters, resource centers, etc. (And previously hospitals, but not so much with COVID)
Several members in the program have gotten interviews and acceptances to some really great programs (MD, DO, MPH, dental, etc) and it seems that interviewers have been really interested in their experiences as an NHC member!
Here is the website if you are looking for more information!
National Health Corps
The website has a link to the application, but as of now it is still for 2020-2021 (this year), but we are going to start recruiting for next year in the next few weeks (probably late March or early April).
I don't want to make this post too long so if you or anyone has more questions or wants more details about the application, my experience, etc, feel free to reply or PM me! I'm happy to answer any questions
🙂