Kaiser Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorax

Reaction score
Kaiser Medical School has a median gpa/mcat of 3.85 and 516 for its inagural class! It's interesting because I didn't think their first class would be so stats heavy - that's a LizzyM score of 74!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think these are their matriculated class stats too, so it is very likely their accepted student average/medians are higher. But also 30% LGBTQ+ is frickin amazing

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think these are their matriculated class stats too, so it is very likely their accepted student average/medians are higher. But also 30% LGBTQ+ is frickin amazing
The school is in SoCal and it waived all tuition and fees. Kaiser can have its cake and eat it.

That's very true. Do you see them going after stats as NYU does or being more diverse in its class selection?

Kaiser Medical School has a median gpa/mcat of 3.85 and 516 for its inagural class! It's interesting because I didn't think their first class would be so stats heavy - that's a LizzyM score of 74!
1) California

2) Free ride for the inaugural class. I can't remember if it's for the first year only, or all four years.

Even CNU had an MCAT median of ~513-514 for thier first year.

Reactions: 3 users
They seem to be looking for a new admissions director.
That was fast.
Implying that the powers that be were unhappy with the make-up of the first-year class?

Last edited by a moderator:
Implying that the powers that be were unhappy with the make-up of the first-year class?
I think that's a pretty big assumption. But other free schools are 520+ so I assume Kaiser is going for a more holistic approach.

Judging from last year's thread, it looks they interviewed a lot of people from research-heavy backgrounds and others with no research whatsoever.

I think that's a pretty big assumption. But other free schools are 520+ so I assume Kaiser is going for a more holistic approach.

Judging from last year's thread, it looks they interviewed a lot of people from research-heavy backgrounds and others with no research whatsoever.
Don't go by that. NYU is a tuition free school. Other schools were tuition free for their inaugural class, like Kaiser, but never had the funding to be tuition free over the long term, so don't make the mistake of comparing Kaiser to NYU until they make an announcement that they are permanently tuition free. It would be really tough for a brand new school to be 520+ unless that was all they looked for, and nobody does that nowadays.

Don't go by that. NYU is a tuition free school. Other schools were tuition free for their inaugural class, like Kaiser, but never had the funding to be tuition free over the long term, so don't make the mistake of comparing Kaiser to NYU until they make an announcement that they are permanently tuition free. It would be really tough for a brand new school to be 520+ unless that was all they looked for, and nobody does that nowadays.

Which other schools were tuition free?

Not a bad start, they have committed free tuition, health coverage to first 5 incoming classes from 2020 to 2024 for all 4 years. Being SoCal, cost of living is ~35K per year, not covered, Even if one takes loan for that, it would be ~140K debt at end of medical school, not bad either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which other schools were tuition free?
UCF for one. Look up other schools that opened in the past 10 years or so, focusing on MD and ignoring for-profit.

Many of them raise money to fund tuition for the first class in order to launch with a bang. If they didn't, even with the "seller's market," the entire class would be made up of people with no other choice, since no one would voluntarily pay full price for a brand new school lacking in all the metrics candidates look at when making a decision (Step scores, residency placements, rankings, etc.) if they had a choice. On the other hand, people will turn down all types of opportunities for a full or partial tuition scholarship.

Last edited:
Illinois Carle offered free tuition to first batch last year, believe they run out of gas this year..

Not a bad start, they have committed free tuition, health coverage to first 5 incoming classes from 2020 to 2024 for all 4 years. Being SoCal, cost of living is ~35K per year, not covered, Even if one takes loan for that, it would be ~140K debt at end of medical school, not bad either.
Smart. In that case, @CHAZOccupant is right -- their numbers should be higher. Probably why they are looking for a new admissions dean!

UCF for one. Look up other schools that opened in the past 10 years or so, focusing on MD and ignoring for-profit.

Many of them raise money to fund tuition for the first class in order to launch with a bang. If they didn't, even with the "seller's market," the entire class would be made up of people with no other choice, since no one would voluntarily pay full price for a brand new school lacking in all the metrics candidates look at when making a decision (Step scores, residency placements, rankings, etc.) if they had a choice. On the other hand, people will turn down all types of opportunities for a full or partial tuition scholarship.
Seller's market is true in general, but for stellar candidates there is a buyer's market (better finance terms) with these new schools are propping.

Well yes, it’s an assumption. I don’t know about a pretty big one. Interesting that the individual in charge of shaping the student body of a brand new medical school with high aspirations leaves after a single admissions cycle.

Well yes, it’s an assumption. I don’t know about a pretty big one. Interesting that the individual in charge of shaping the student body of a brand new medical school with high aspirations leaves after a single admissions cycle.
Who was the admissions dean anyways? The people on the website look like a pretty diverse group.

Who was the admissions dean anyways? The people on the website look like a pretty diverse group.
The dean on the website was the dean last year. if she is on her way out, it hasn't been reported in a place that comes up in a Google search.

The dean on the website was the dean last year. if she is on her way out, it hasn't been reported in a place that comes up in a Google search.
I assumed there would someone with the 'Admissions Dean' title but there just seems to be a bunch of associate deans. In which case, she would be on her way out then. Gyngyn probably gave us the insider higher-level scoop as I can't find public references for a change in leadership.

Reactions: 2 users
I assumed there would someone with the 'Admissions Dean' title but there just seems to be a bunch of associate deans. In which case, she would be on her way out then. Gyngyn probably gave us the inside higher-level scoop as I can't find public references for a change in leadership.
Yup!! It's just surprising that she's still on the website if she's out, especially right in the middle of the season.

I might be wrong, but I believe Kaiser indicated that the first four or five graduating classes will have free COA.

looks like they pegged the median to 95%ile. They easily could have made it much higher if they wanted to over other metrics.

They seem to be looking for a new admissions director.
That was fast.
To clarify out of curiosity, do you mean a new director of admissions? Or Dean of Admissions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Illinois Carle offered free tuition to first batch last year, believe they run out of gas this year..
It was planned that way :) Offering free tuition for inaugural class seems to be very common.

That was a big surprise. What's the national average?
National average of med schools (I don't think that's been published!) or the population as a whole (which I think is around 5%)?

Yale was accused by the DOJ of illegal discrimination. They haven't lost anything in court.
And remember -- it's the Trump administration making the finding. It flies in the face of the court decision in the Harvard case, so it's going to end up going nowhere other than as an election talking point for Trump.

Reactions: 1 users
And remember -- it's the Trump administration making the finding. It flies in the face of the court decision in the Harvard case, so it's going to end up going nowhere other than as an election talking point for Trump.

What exactly happened in the Harvard case?

What exactly happened in the Harvard case?
Asian American applicants sued in federal court alleging racial bias in admissions. They lost. The case is currently on appeal.

What the Justice Department is alleging at Yale is the exact same thing, so it's pointless, other than as a political stunt. Whatever happens with the Harvard case will apply to all schools going forward whenever it is ultimately decided. For now, it is permissible to use race as a factor in admissions, which is what ORM and URM is all about with med school admissions.

The recent ruling was that (Yale) they must remove those questions from applications.
I'm not sure what you think is a ruling, but the Justice Department made a "demand" and Yale has already said "no thanks," so Justice can go to court if it wants to, but it's the same case that's already in court with Harvard, and Harvard already won the first round, so what exactly is your point? That the Trump administration is against preferences for URMs? Big news flash. If Justice loses, this will be the first position they have taken since 2017 that was thrown out of court, right? :laugh:

That’s correct in terms of the impact this DOJ ruling has for sure, but I just want point out that The whole goal of that discrimination case is to get it to the Supreme Court and it’s basically still in that pipeline. It’s the type of case the Supreme Court is likely to hear after an appeal in the circuit court.

Current Timeline:

Federal district court of Massachusetts (very liberal court, rejected) —> US First Circuit Appeals Court (where it is currently waiting to be heard, likely to be rejected) —> Supreme Court (who knows on this one?)

That’s correct in terms of the impact this DOJ ruling has for sure, but I just want point out that The whole goal of that discrimination case is to get it to the Supreme Court and it’s basically still in that pipeline. It’s the type of case the Supreme Court is likely to hear after an appeal in the circuit court.

Current Timeline:

Federal district court of Massachusetts (very liberal court, rejected) —> US First Circuit Appeals Court (where it is currently waiting to be heard, likely to be rejected) —> Supreme Court (who knows on this one?)
Great! But what does that have to do with the Trump Justice Department going after Yale three months before an election for the same exact thing that is already the subject of litigation? Absolutely nothing to going to result from the "court ruling" @proudofmykids is referring to before the election. William Barr doesn't like "discrimination" against Whites (and Asians) and Yale isn't changing a damn thing in response!

Also, what makes you so sure the Supreme Court will be so anxious to hear this case? It's not automatic, you know? They only hear what they want to. This could be over after the appeals court ruling.

Great! But what does that have to do with the Trump Justice Department going after Yale three months before an election for the same exact thing that is already the subject of litigation? Absolutely nothing to going to result from the "court ruling" @proudofmykids is referring to before the election. William Barr doesn't like "discrimination" against Whites (and Asians) and Yale isn't changing a damn thing in response!

Also, what makes you so sure the Supreme Court will be so anxious to hear this case? It's not automatic, you know? They only hear what they want to. This could be over after the appeals court ruling.
It will go to SC and then Roberts will side with the liberal justices.

It will go to SC and then Roberts will side with the liberal justices.
Or not. I'm not so sure they think this is such a burning issue that requires its attention. They only accept around 1% of all appeals (lower than even med school admission! :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.