Kaiser v. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_invisiblestring

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Super blessed to have multiple acceptances, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two. If you have any thoughts, please drop them down below! Honestly, residency/match lists are a big concern now (but I'm probably not interested in a super competitive speciality).

Kaiser (Cost: $0 + $37k stipend for COL)
Pros:
  • obviously the cost
  • seems well suited to my learning style (mainly small group, problem-based -- very little lectures)
  • lots of opportunity to innovate (e.g. creating new clubs)
  • longitudinal integrated clerkships during pre-clinical years
  • anatomy without cadavers -- seems pretty cool + don't think our learning experience will be negatively impacted (we toured the labs, super high tech and everything)
Cons:
  • location: very far away from all my support systems (family, friends, partner)
  • super new, so no match list (definitely want to move back to East Coast for residency)
Tufts (MD/MPH) -- Cost: ~ $400,000 (no institutional aid)
Pros:
  • location!! (I love that it's in Chinatown + close to support systems)
  • really great programs (interpretation program, great service groups + serving populations I care about)
  • good vibe when I visited
  • solid match list
  • dual degree in 4 years -- I definitely want to pursue a MPH so this is a really cool option that's integrated well (Kaiser is in talks to create a MD/MPH program but idk how much they have ironed out)
Cons:
  • cost (financial aid package hasn't been sent yet so idk what total COA will be, but undoubtably more expensive than Kaiser)
  • class size? 200 people (but divided into smaller 'learning communities')

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was the vibe of the students and culture at Kaiser? You mention that you love the vibe at Tufts – is that not true at Kaiser? Also, have you considered the COL at either institution? Kaiser is in pasadena, so might be more expensive than you originally anticipated.

Overall you seem more passionate about Tufts, but hard to wrong with free.99 uk. Either way, these are great options and you'll do amazing wherever you go. Congrats future doc!

If fin aid from tufts is lackluster, I vote Kaiser unless not matching back to the east coast is an insurmountable fear for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What was the vibe of the students and culture at Kaiser? You mention that you love the vibe at Tufts – is that not true at Kaiser? Also, have you considered the COL at either institution? Kaiser is in pasadena, so might be more expensive than you originally anticipated.

Overall you seem more passionate about Tufts, but hard to wrong with free.99 uk. Either way, these are great options and you'll do amazing wherever you go. Congrats future doc!
Thank you for your kind words and response :) And the vibe was good, although I felt a little bit out of place? Faculty were super welcoming, but I didn't click super well with any of the students, but I don't necessarily want to base my decision solely off of that! In terms of COL, they give about 40k a year to cover living expenses, which I may end up exceeding depending on rent and everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your kind words and response :) And the vibe was good, although I felt a little bit out of place? Faculty were super welcoming, but I didn't click super well with any of the students, but I don't necessarily want to base my decision solely off of that! In terms of COL, they give about 40k a year to cover living expenses, which I may end up exceeding depending on rent and everything.
then I agree w our zesty friend above. if tufts gives no $$, kaiser might be the way to go, and i'm sure you'll adjust just fine

Reactions: 1 users