1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Kaiser Or Cvs??????

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by lostuc, Aug 8, 2006.

1. lostuc

lostuc Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    HELLO,
    I recently got hired at both kaiser and cvs pharmacies as theyre clerk. One pays much better than the other but cvs is super closer. If im doing it mainly for the experience do you think it matters which would look better on my apps???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ipinjoy

ipinjoy Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

I personally dont think it matters. I work for Kaiser and have learned a lot and really appreciate the pay. However, not sure you are still in school or not, but Kaiser will probably require you to work up to 32-40 hours for the first 90 days for training purposes. Not sure how cvs works, but they perhaps can pay for your tech school if you ever wanted to be a tech. Kaiser requires a license already before you can attend their in house tech training.

4. TrojanAnteater

TrojanAnteater Fight On
    10+ Year Member

If you like to put other pharmacies on hold for a REALLY REALLY long time when they are calling for a copy- go for Kaiser.

If you like to put other pharmacies on hold for only a REALLY long time- go CVS

5. ChemistI

ChemistI Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

i've had friends tell me that working as a pharm tech at walgreens really doesn't teach you much except about how insurances work.

is this true?

6. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Like so many other things in life, I think you get out of it what you put in. Yes, you will learn a lot about insurance and how to interpret cards. But, if you try, you will learn a lot about drugs as well. The first 6 months I worked as a tech, I carried a brand/generic book around with me all the time. Also, any time I counted a drug that I didn't know what it was for, then I went home and read about it. Once I showed my pharmacists that I was learning a lot, then they gradually gave me more responsibilities with inventory and ordering, which became more new things to learn.

7. ChemistI

ChemistI Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

thanks RX lynn, so how does a person like myself who works full time in the science field (i'm a chemist in an enviromental laboratory) get the experience needed to be a competative pharmacy applicant? i've gone to some pharmacies asking for part time jobs or volunteer work and they've all told me that they don't have room for more people. some of the head pharmacists are nasty about the whole thing.