Kaiser Or Cvs??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostuc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO,
I recently got hired at both kaiser and cvs pharmacies as theyre clerk. One pays much better than the other but cvs is super closer. If im doing it mainly for the experience do you think it matters which would look better on my apps???

Members don't see this ad.

lostuc said:
HELLO,
I recently got hired at both kaiser and cvs pharmacies as theyre clerk. One pays much better than the other but cvs is super closer. If im doing it mainly for the experience do you think it matters which would look better on my apps???

I personally dont think it matters. I work for Kaiser and have learned a lot and really appreciate the pay. However, not sure you are still in school or not, but Kaiser will probably require you to work up to 32-40 hours for the first 90 days for training purposes. Not sure how cvs works, but they perhaps can pay for your tech school if you ever wanted to be a tech. Kaiser requires a license already before you can attend their in house tech training.

ipinjoy said:
I personally dont think it matters. I work for Kaiser and have learned a lot and really appreciate the pay. However, not sure you are still in school or not, but Kaiser will probably require you to work up to 32-40 hours for the first 90 days for training purposes. Not sure how cvs works, but they perhaps can pay for your tech school if you ever wanted to be a tech. Kaiser requires a license already before you can attend their in house tech training.

If you like to put other pharmacies on hold for a REALLY REALLY long time when they are calling for a copy- go for Kaiser.

If you like to put other pharmacies on hold for only a REALLY long time- go CVS

Members don't see this ad :)
ipinjoy said:

i've had friends tell me that working as a pharm tech at walgreens really doesn't teach you much except about how insurances work.

is this true?

ChemistI said:
i've had friends tell me that working as a pharm tech at walgreens really doesn't teach you much except about how insurances work.

is this true?
Like so many other things in life, I think you get out of it what you put in. Yes, you will learn a lot about insurance and how to interpret cards. But, if you try, you will learn a lot about drugs as well. The first 6 months I worked as a tech, I carried a brand/generic book around with me all the time. Also, any time I counted a drug that I didn't know what it was for, then I went home and read about it. Once I showed my pharmacists that I was learning a lot, then they gradually gave me more responsibilities with inventory and ordering, which became more new things to learn.

rxlynn said:
Like so many other things in life, I think you get out of it what you put in. Yes, you will learn a lot about insurance and how to interpret cards. But, if you try, you will learn a lot about drugs as well. The first 6 months I worked as a tech, I carried a brand/generic book around with me all the time. Also, any time I counted a drug that I didn't know what it was for, then I went home and read about it. Once I showed my pharmacists that I was learning a lot, then they gradually gave me more responsibilities with inventory and ordering, which became more new things to learn.

thanks RX lynn, so how does a person like myself who works full time in the science field (i'm a chemist in an enviromental laboratory) get the experience needed to be a competative pharmacy applicant? i've gone to some pharmacies asking for part time jobs or volunteer work and they've all told me that they don't have room for more people. some of the head pharmacists are nasty about the whole thing.