Kaiser Sunset sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Spazz

Thinking about doing a sub-I at KS -- anyone know what it's like? Is this rotation a mix of inpatient and outpatient? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So you're a 4th year- congratulations for getting this far. The Sub-I at Kaiser Sunset is mainly outpatient medicine. You work with the different attendings (and sometimes some of the 3rd year residents) and get a feel for the work they do. During your outpatient time, you will also get to experience all of the different outpatient clinics that Sunset is involved in (ie Asian Pacific, LA Free Male STD clinic, Venice Free, etc) and see patients with the program director in the HIV clinic as well. If you're interested in Sports Med, you can work with them, and tag along with them at all of thier clinics and free clinics in the surrounding junior college's and high schools depending on the time of year. Most sub-i's are 4 weeks long. Most of the sub-i's also do a couple of days (usu. up to one week) with one of the inpatient FP teams (there are 2, each one has an R1 and R2). During those days, you will probably be assigned your own patients and have an R2 who will help you out, help you with the computers, etc. They are both quite important actually because at Sunset when a resident really likes you, well, they have a lot of input and have literally gotten med students in who may have had less than stellar scores (and done the opposite if the med student made an AWFUL impression like consistently showing up late). And of course, the same goes for if the outpatient attendings like you. Good luck!