Kaiser vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducks_are _the best

Reaction score
While everyone is stressing about elections, how about giving a vote to where you would go?

I have been accepted to both and just wanted some extra input before I make a decision.

Kaiser
pros. Great support from admin/free tuition /
cons. step going to P/F and Hasn’t graduated a class yet/influence to go into Kaiser residency

USC
pros. More established with pretty good residencies/more of a focus on LatinX/undocumented /research-heavy institution/actual cadaver lab
cons: price tag (do not know yet waiting on fin aid.)

Members don't see this ad.

Free tuition means you’re free to go any direction with regards to residency without worrying about the finances. Also if you took the tuition money and invested it, you probably could come out massively ahead compared to most doctors. If you go Kaiser, I highly suggest putting the max into your Roth to maximize the tax benefits since you’ll have money but no income

While everyone is stressing about elections, how about giving a vote to where you would go?

I have been accepted to both and just wanted some extra input before I make a decision.

Kaiser
pros. Great support from admin/free tuition /
cons. step going to P/F and Hasn’t graduated a class yet/influence to go into Kaiser residency

USC
pros. More established with pretty good residencies/more of a focus on LatinX/undocumented /research-heavy institution/actual cadaver lab
cons: price tag (do not know yet waiting on fin aid.)
There is no stress here, Kaiser should win like Putin wins Russia.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Situation dependent, but in this case yes.

USC Cost over 4 years: $412,305 source: USC Financial Aid

Kaiser Cost over 4 years: $138.100 source: Tuition and Financial Aid | Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine

USC is ranked #31. Solid school, but generally not in the same grouping as UCLA, Stanford, UCSF. It'll open some doors but at a huge cost. Kaiser is new and residency directors are unsure of how strong it is. However, with free tuition, they're going to bring in strong applicants who will inevitably match well even if they struggle to distinguish themselves with most things going P/F.

I am basing this off my assessment of Dell med. They're a relatively new TX school that gave pretty much free tuition to the first year to bring strong applicants in. Here is how they matched: Match List 2020 - post what you got

TLDR; USC is not worth ~275K more than Kaiser.
When do Kaiser begin to not waive living expenses? Was it only their inaugural class that receive the living expenses stipend? (I thought it was their first four classes).