Kansas City University year 3&4 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mav13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully some KCU students are able to chime in.

I’m a current OMSII and was looking for a breakdown of what to expect for 3rd and 4th year. KCU stated 4th year is totally on us for scheduling, how does this exactly work and what should I expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I’m a current OMSII and was looking for a breakdown of what to expect for 3rd and 4th year. KCU stated 4th year is totally on us for scheduling, how does this exactly work and what should I expect?
So you’ll get some more in-depth lectures later in 2nd year about how it all works. But as a general overview 3rd year you’ll be assigned to a clinical site where you do all your core rotations (IM, FM, OBGYN, Surgery, Psych, Peds) and you’ll also get 2-3 elective rotations depending on your rotation site, some sites made students do a month of geriatrics as one of there electives.

I’m still in 3rd year and I’m sure @fldoctorgirl can comment on 4th year better than I can, but here is what I know so far. 4th year you will apply to do away rotations at hospitals wherever you want. So if you are from Michigan you can find hospitals with residency programs there or really any doctor that would be willing to have you for a month and get in contact with them (sometimes via VSAS, clinician nexus, or by emailing the program directly) and set up a month to rotate through whatever specialty you want. The school also requires you to do 3 sub internships (Sub-I) and you will usually do those in the specialty you are interested in. So if you are applying to surgery you can do a few surgery Sub-i’s at programs you want to match at to increase your chance of matching there. You will have to do one month of EM 4th year and you can setup some of your other 4th year rotations at your core site from 3rd year if they will take you. I’ve heard some core sites don’t really take students for 4th year and others are fine with it.

Reactions: 1 users
So you’ll get some more in-depth lectures later in 2nd year about how it all works. But as a general overview 3rd year you’ll be assigned to a clinical site where you do all your core rotations (IM, FM, OBGYN, Surgery, Psych, Peds) and you’ll also get 2-3 elective rotations depending on your rotation site, some sites made students do a month of geriatrics as one of there electives.

I’m still in 3rd year and I’m sure @fldoctorgirl can comment on 4th year better than I can, but here is what I know so far. 4th year you will apply to do away rotations at hospitals wherever you want. So if you are from Michigan you can find hospitals with residency programs there or really any doctor that would be willing to have you for a month and get in contact with them (sometimes via VSAS, clinician nexus, or by emailing the program directly) and set up a month to rotate through whatever specialty you want. The school also requires you to do 3 sub internships (Sub-I) and you will usually do those in the specialty you are interested in. So if you are applying to surgery you can do a few surgery Sub-i’s at programs you want to match at to increase your chance of matching there. You will have to do one month of EM 4th year and you can setup some of your other 4th year rotations at your core site from 3rd year if they will take you. I’ve heard some core sites don’t really take students for 4th year and others are fine with it.
This is a pretty good summary. 4th year is up to you and you can spend the entire year doing sub-Is/rotations at hospitals or you can do the whole year rotating with a doc in an outpatient setting. Most people do a mix. Only requirements are 3 sub-Is (you can code anything as a sub-I if you feel that the work you're doing is at that level, it doesn't have to be an official sub-I through like VSAS or whatever) and an ED rotation. I was in KC for third year but left afterwards and am back in my hometown for M4.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty good summary. 4th year is up to you and you can spend the entire year doing sub-Is/rotations at hospitals or you can do the whole year rotating with a doc in an outpatient setting. Most people do a mix. Only requirements are 3 sub-Is (you can code anything as a sub-I if you feel that the work you're doing is at that level, it doesn't have to be an official sub-I through like VSAS or whatever) and an ED rotation. I was in KC for third year but left afterwards and am back in my hometown for M4.

What did your timeline look like for setting up your 4th year? VSAS probably has a timeline that I can google, but if you did outpatient/community rotations when did you reach out and what was the process like for connecting them with KCU? did you do EM at your core site in KC or were you able to schedule that at home as well? thanks, as always, for your help!!!

What did your timeline look like for setting up your 4th year? VSAS probably has a timeline that I can google, but if you did outpatient/community rotations when did you reach out and what was the process like for connecting them with KCU? did you do EM at your core site in KC or were you able to schedule that at home as well? thanks, as always, for your help!!!
I started piecing things together around January and then things fell more into place around March/April as that's when VSAS really took off. I wanted to have my VSAS stuff scheduled first since I applied for multiple dates and didn't know which I'd get, and then I scheduled outpatient stuff around that. I was able to do my EM rotation at home as well.

Connecting preceptors with KCU is fairly easy. You basically just fill out a form with their contact info and give it to your coordinator and that's it.

I started piecing things together around January and then things fell more into place around March/April as that's when VSAS really took off. I wanted to have my VSAS stuff scheduled first since I applied for multiple dates and didn't know which I'd get, and then I scheduled outpatient stuff around that. I was able to do my EM rotation at home as well.

Connecting preceptors with KCU is fairly easy. You basically just fill out a form with their contact info and give it to your coordinator and that's it.
fantastic--thank you!!!

Depends on where you match to. If its KC be ready for driving a lot to preceptors that may or may not let you be involved in clinical care. For the most part I had great rotations in KC. If you match to a smaller place you may actually get more hands on experience because you will be the sole med student in Podunk KS/MO

For 4th year, expect to be on your own setting up rotations except for the required EM and didactics stuff.

best third year rotations from what i hear is denver, freeman, and michigan.

Hi all,

Ran across this thread and wanted to ask you all a quick q :)

I was offered a seat at the Joplin campus and am strongly considering attending; KCU is for sure the strongest program out of my current DO offers. I saw that you mentioned doing 4th-year rotations at your home location. Do you think it would be possible to do 4th-year rotations at home in New Jersey for me?

We have a DO program here, so I assume the hospitals are relatively receptive to DO candidates rotating. I would love to return to the NJ/PA/NY or any larger city for residency :)

Thanks again!!

Hi all,

Ran across this thread and wanted to ask you all a quick q :)

I was offered a seat at the Joplin campus and am strongly considering attending; KCU is for sure the strongest program out of my current DO offers. I saw that you mentioned doing 4th-year rotations at your home location. Do you think it would be possible to do 4th-year rotations at home in New Jersey for me?

We have a DO program here, so I assume the hospitals are relatively receptive to DO candidates rotating. I would love to return to the NJ/PA/NY or any larger city for residency :)

Thanks again!!
It's definitely possible. I've been back home for all of 4th year. It definitely helps if you can find some outpatient based docs to take you-- they're usually more flexible and it's easier to set up.

If you match to a site that does not have your selective/specialty available (e.g. Radiology, PM&R etc.) what's the play? Set up your own selective? Wait until 4th year to do an away?

If you match to a site that does not have your selective/specialty available (e.g. Radiology, PM&R etc.) what's the play? Set up your own selective? Wait until 4th year to do an away?

If you just wanna see if you like the field or not, you can shadow someone in that field on the weekend or a day off just to rule it in or out as a potential field. Otherwise you can just wait until 4th year to do a full rotation if you don't get the chance to do one during 3rd year.