Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilburSK

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
good evening! i am making a decision about the best residency to enter. i want to practice in KC long term, so would KUMC or UMKC be the best residencies to secure a good position upon graduation?

Also, has anyone heard anything about the new program at KUMC? I know the hospital is top notch, but I have not heard anything about the program.

Lastly, can anyone dispel the poor reputation of UMKC? All I have read about the program has been very negative.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a 4th yr at kumc, going into EM...I rotated through our ED and can give you insights. I know a decent amount about umkc....didn't know it had a poor rep though, always thought it was a solid program, well respected.

A fundamental question I have is this.

I know that a program like Vandy is top notch and very reputable. But I want to practice in KC.

Does the benefit of a Vandy type education overrule the practicality of a KC residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
A fundamental question I have is this.

I know that a program like Vandy is top notch and very reputable. But I want to practice in KC.

Does the benefit of a Vandy type education overrule the practicality of a KC residency?

No... assuming both are accredited programs, you will likely never 'feel' a difference for the rest of your life.

Go where you and your family would be happy for 3-4 years.

This seems to be the general sentiment. So even though I've never seen any KC programs on this forum, it still may be a very good education?

Perhaps a better way to ask is:

Does anyone have insight on either the KU EM residency or the UMKC EM residency?

Hey, speaking of which... does anyone know where there's a list of the top ten or twenty EM residencies ?

last year's president of the american board of emergency medicine is currently an attending at UMKC. and so are quite a few of the authors of some of the chapters of Tintinalli's. Can't be that bad.

y not. And I hear Kansas city, Kansas city here I come. They got some pretty little women there and I'm gonna, get me one.

So, as it stands... the list goes...

F-A-T-T-Y ....

Mmmm... don't forget about Midwest 'Mergency....

F-A-T-T-Y M

to be honest, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, and unfortunately, it has not been all that helpful.

does anyone want to give some insight into these programs?

to be honest, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, and unfortunately, it has not been all that helpful.

does anyone want to give some insight into these programs?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=758725

It's not that we don't want to. It's that we can't. Only people that went to those programs can really give you insight into them, and there hasn't been a vocal member from those places here.

On the flip side. Rank where you want to be based on whatever your criteria are.