This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theblueswede

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student strongly considering EM and am REALLY hoping to eventually practice in Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm worried about the job market, however. It seems that many other states have numerous job listings, but Utah has very few. I realize that most jobs are likely not found via simple listings, but I would appreciate the perspective of attendings/residents in the area. Also, doximity lists the average salary at 320k—does this seem about right?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the new attendings I had in residency moved there and got a job without much problem. Though he went to one of the best EM residencies and also worked for one of the best known chairs in EM, so that was certainly in his favor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do a rotation at Utah's EM program. Impress the people at Utah's EM program. Get a residency at Utah's EM program. Do an awesome job at Utah's EM program. Get them to help you get a job in Utah (or work for Utah's EM program).

Reactions: 1 users
Tough market, right up there with Portland and Denver. I should add that the EM market anywhere five years from now will be totally different from the EM job market today- look at Houston and Denver. EM does have the advantage that you can live in one place and work in another without much difficulty.

Agreed on trying to either do residency in Utah OR attending a residency that has sent many grads to your desired destination. I wouldn't worry as much about going to a "top" program- unless you are going academic, personal connections matter more than prestige in community jobs, and what one person may consider a "top" program may not be considered a good fit for a specific job. An inner city, county residency may not be looked on as favorably as a more community-oriented program, for example, but this is hard to suss out as a student, and preferred residencies vary from job to job. I would avoid CMG residencies at all costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users