-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kansas State c/o 2020
Started by battie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi! I'm thinking of applying here 🙂
You really should! They are my number 1 OOS choice. The school is pretty awesome.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ahh I have a list of ~11 schools but I'm thinking of cutting some out eventually. What's your favorite part about kansas state vet school?
My list is currently at ten, so I need to cut out three more. I sent out a ton of e-mails just now to all the schools with specific questions to narrow my list.
My favorite parts kind of vary, honestly. I love the fact there is an indoor bridge that spans from the school to the hospital so you don't have to go outside at all during the day if you don't want to. When it snows, that is awesome. I also like the layout of the school and the hospital. Each year has their own floor with their classroom and lab. You stay in the room for lecture/lab and the professors come to you. I totally dig that. The library was nice as well. I dig the mobile surgery unit, but I don't know how much interaction students have with it. I also loved how friendly the entire process was. The first year I applied, I forgot half of my application when I mailed my check and scores in. I called and they said that they would hold my first envelop until the second one arrived and put it all together. Then arranging everything for the interview was flawless. They were fine with my mom coming to the pizza party with me and hanging out in the interview lobby so that we could leave for home as soon as my interview was over.
My only major dislike so far is that this last application cycle was weird. A large group of us didn't hear anything for a long time. No interview invite, but no rejection either (and some people did get rejection letters). It took several of us sending e-mails to find out that those of us who hadn't gotten and interview invite or a rejection letter were put on this weird "waitlist to the waitlist" where they could potentially dip into that list if they went through the entire waitlist. Some people even got called for an extra interview weekend. But the rest of us were left in a limbo situation that did not happen my first application cycle.
My favorite parts kind of vary, honestly. I love the fact there is an indoor bridge that spans from the school to the hospital so you don't have to go outside at all during the day if you don't want to. When it snows, that is awesome. I also like the layout of the school and the hospital. Each year has their own floor with their classroom and lab. You stay in the room for lecture/lab and the professors come to you. I totally dig that. The library was nice as well. I dig the mobile surgery unit, but I don't know how much interaction students have with it. I also loved how friendly the entire process was. The first year I applied, I forgot half of my application when I mailed my check and scores in. I called and they said that they would hold my first envelop until the second one arrived and put it all together. Then arranging everything for the interview was flawless. They were fine with my mom coming to the pizza party with me and hanging out in the interview lobby so that we could leave for home as soon as my interview was over.
My only major dislike so far is that this last application cycle was weird. A large group of us didn't hear anything for a long time. No interview invite, but no rejection either (and some people did get rejection letters). It took several of us sending e-mails to find out that those of us who hadn't gotten and interview invite or a rejection letter were put on this weird "waitlist to the waitlist" where they could potentially dip into that list if they went through the entire waitlist. Some people even got called for an extra interview weekend. But the rest of us were left in a limbo situation that did not happen my first application cycle.
Oh wow! a mobile sugery unit does sounds pretty cool 😀 I will definitely keep kansas on my list for now heh
I'm going to PM you if you don't mind! It would be awesome to get your opinion on vet schools you've visited because I haven't visited any haha
@Bunny Blaster , totally shoot me a PM! I have visited K-State, Mizzou, Florida, and NC State, so I can give you some info on those (though not a ton because I can't even apply to Florida or NC State).
My list is currently at ten, so I need to cut out three more. I sent out a ton of e-mails just now to all the schools with specific questions to narrow my list.
My favorite parts kind of vary, honestly. I love the fact there is an indoor bridge that spans from the school to the hospital so you don't have to go outside at all during the day if you don't want to. When it snows, that is awesome. I also like the layout of the school and the hospital. Each year has their own floor with their classroom and lab. You stay in the room for lecture/lab and the professors come to you. I totally dig that. The library was nice as well. I dig the mobile surgery unit, but I don't know how much interaction students have with it. I also loved how friendly the entire process was. The first year I applied, I forgot half of my application when I mailed my check and scores in. I called and they said that they would hold my first envelop until the second one arrived and put it all together. Then arranging everything for the interview was flawless. They were fine with my mom coming to the pizza party with me and hanging out in the interview lobby so that we could leave for home as soon as my interview was over.
My only major dislike so far is that this last application cycle was weird. A large group of us didn't hear anything for a long time. No interview invite, but no rejection either (and some people did get rejection letters). It took several of us sending e-mails to find out that those of us who hadn't gotten and interview invite or a rejection letter were put on this weird "waitlist to the waitlist" where they could potentially dip into that list if they went through the entire waitlist. Some people even got called for an extra interview weekend. But the rest of us were left in a limbo situation that did not happen my first application cycle.
The mobile surgery unit is brand new, along with a new elective shelter medicine rotation. So for the fourth years taking it, they'll be in there a bunch.
Thanks for the information, @Frozenshades. I will be taking full advantage of that if I get the chance!
I'm a first time applicant applying to K State for one of my schools! Good luck to everyone!!!
I've officially decided to apply to K State! Third-time applicant, OOS. I've counted out K State the past two years because Kansas seems like a painfully boring place to live, but after so many rejections from other schools I started to feel like I was being too picky. I feel like I might have a good chance here because of how many OOS applicants they accept, but it makes me nervous that they kept so many people in limbo as to their status last year. :/
Can anyone confirm if they use just the most recent attempt at repeated courses when calculating GPAs? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here, but not sure how recent the info was.
Can anyone confirm if they use just the most recent attempt at repeated courses when calculating GPAs? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here, but not sure how recent the info was.
They use your best grade out of the two.I've officially decided to apply to K State! Third-time applicant, OOS. I've counted out K State the past two years because Kansas seems like a painfully boring place to live, but after so many rejections from other schools I started to feel like I was being too picky. I feel like I might have a good chance here because of how many OOS applicants they accept, but it makes me nervous that they kept so many people in limbo as to their status last year. :/
Can anyone confirm if they use just the most recent attempt at repeated courses when calculating GPAs? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here, but not sure how recent the info was.
Bullymama is on the money. I double checked with them a while ago and they use the most recently accepted. I also asked them if they would accept my biochem 2 grade over my biochem 1 grade (A vs a C) and they said yes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They use your best grade out of the two.
Excellent, thank you!Bullymama is on the money. I double checked with them a while ago and they use the most recently accepted.
How heavily do they weigh the importance of veterinary hours?Bullymama is on the money. I double checked with them a while ago and they use the most recently accepted. I also asked them if they would accept my biochem 2 grade over my biochem 1 grade (A vs a C) and they said yes.
Can anyone confirm if they use just the most recent attempt at repeated courses when calculating GPAs? I've seen that mentioned a few times on here, but not sure how recent the info was.
If the recent attempt and repeat are within the last 45 credit hours, both will be counted. I had emailed Dr. Elmore about this for the class of 2019 cycle.
If the recent attempt and repeat are within the last 45 credit hours, both will be counted. I had emailed Dr. Elmore about this for the class of 2019 cycle.
Totally forgot about this (my notes are in a binder in my room and were not accessible). Thanks for bringing this up!!
How heavily do they weigh the importance of veterinary hours?
That's really hard for me to gauge. My first application cycle, I had only 135 hours in one small animal GP clinic and was legit waitlisted. But last year I had almost 1100 hours and was one of the people left in the limbo "waitlisted to be waitlisted" situation.
Okay! I was jw bc my GPA is a bit on the weaker side but I have a stronger amount of hours. And I didn't know how K State valued each of those things.Totally forgot about this (my notes are in a binder in my room and were not accessible). Thanks for bringing this up!!
That's really hard for me to gauge. My first application cycle, I had only 135 hours in one small animal GP clinic and was legit waitlisted. But last year I had almost 1100 hours and was one of the people left in the limbo "waitlisted to be waitlisted" situation.
From their website and the e-mails I have sent back and forth from K-State, they value science courses in the prerequisites at 30%, the GRE at 40% (and you need to have a 50% or higher between the three sections). The other 30% comes from the interview/non-academic factors I believe. Anyone who has differing information, please correct it! It's what my e-mails/notebook tells me, but those numbers seem high to me for some reason.
As far as their average stats go, they break down like this:
cGPA --> not given
prereqGPA --> not given
last 45 credits GPA --> not given (but definitely considered; that's why my numbers seem off to me)
GRE-V --> 70%
GRE-Q --> 66%
GRE-A --> 65%
ScienceGPA --> 3.4
As far as their average stats go, they break down like this:
cGPA --> not given
prereqGPA --> not given
last 45 credits GPA --> not given (but definitely considered; that's why my numbers seem off to me)
GRE-V --> 70%
GRE-Q --> 66%
GRE-A --> 65%
ScienceGPA --> 3.4
Are you from the KC area by chance? 😛Sigh.
I really, really want to apply to K-State. It's my mentor veterinarian's alma mater, my undergrad has had great luck getting students in (even moreso than our IS, Mizzou), it's within two hours of where I live, my stats align extemely well with what they seem to value, and Manhattan is a great city and I've got multiple family members and friends living there, too. But that OOS tuition... it makes my stomach curdle just looking at it.
I'm really on the fence about whether or not I should add this school to my shortlist. I really like the program, and there's quite a few things drawing me to it, but I'm not sure I'm entirely willing to pay over $50,000/yr.
Mssu nice! I'm currently at UMKC but commute from Liberty area. We should def grab a coffee in the Plaza!!I am, actually! I'm in the southern tip of the metro area, more specifically in Raymore! My undergrad school is down in Joplin, though.![]()
I sent off my supplemental packet today! The question about how many books you've read in the past year is kind of random, lol.
Does anyone know if I have to wait until my VMCAS app is reviewed and confirmed before I send my K State supplemental app packet? Or am I okay to go ahead and send in the packet? I finished and submitted by VMCAS app, but it's still under the review process. Let me know! THanks!
I sent off my supplemental packet yesterday and I'm still working on my VMCAS, so hopefully that's okay! I would think they would have said something on their website or the supplemental app itself if they wanted VMCAS first, especially since their deadline to have it postmarked is the same as the VMCAS deadline.Does anyone know if I have to wait until my VMCAS app is reviewed and confirmed before I send my K State supplemental app packet? Or am I okay to go ahead and send in the packet? I finished and submitted by VMCAS app, but it's still under the review process. Let me know! THanks!
Yeah, you can definitely send in your supplemental stuff before you finish VMCAS.
Do you think we will be hearing back early oct since the first batch of interviews went out oct 28ish last year and vmcas submission was early oct last year?
That would be awesome. But since this is the first year like this, it's hard to guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Supplemental package processed. Yeeyee!
Is there a spot on their website to see if they have received your supplemental?Supplemental package processed. Yeeyee!
They emailed me. I sent it in about a week and a half ago.
Has anyone gotten confirmatiom that their vmcas has been received
I haven't gotten any confirmations. I only sent in my VMCAS and supplemental on the 15th. Hopefully those of you who were more on the ball will start hearing stuff soon.
I submitted sept 4th and got verified yesterday but my supp was verified about a week or two ago.I haven't gotten any confirmations. I only sent in my VMCAS and supplemental on the 15th. Hopefully those of you who were more on the ball will start hearing stuff soon.
So a three weekish timeline for supplemental verification?
Mine was about 2-3 weeks ya
Does anyone know when KSU is doing interviews this year? I couldn't find it online... but I could have missed it!
It isn't online. When I interviewed, it was the weekend of January 18. There are a few weekends of interviews.
Interviews are Jan 16-17 and Jan 30-31 this year! Best of luck to you all!!
Thanks so much for that!! I was hoping they'd be sooner this year because of the deadline move up, but ooh well. Lol. How's classes?
No, they always do them the last week of winter break/the first weekend of the semester so things aren't too crazy for the ambassadors and faculty yet. Vet school is everything everyone's told you- ridiculously hard, terrifyingly fast, generally unhealthy, but incredibly rewarding/fulfilling/all I've ever wanted!
You know, I knew somewhere deep down that they did their interviews during the tail end of the winter break. But at least you're doing decent!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, they always do them the last week of winter break/the first weekend of the semester so things aren't too crazy for the ambassadors and faculty yet. Vet school is everything everyone's told you- ridiculously hard, terrifyingly fast, generally unhealthy, but incredibly rewarding/fulfilling/all I've ever wanted!
And first year is the easy one 😉
But it gets a lot more interesting!
Does k state usually inform you when they receive the vmcas too or just the supp? I noticed that interview invites went out relatively quick last year. Like within the month that vmcas was due or so.
Does k state usually inform you when they receive the vmcas too or just the supp? I noticed that interview invites went out relatively quick last year. Like within the month that vmcas was due or so.
I believe we were notified. As far as interviews are concerned, I got my interview invite November 9th the year before last. So, yeah, about 2.5 to 3 weeks after VMCAS was due at that time.
Has anyone else gotten an email confirmation from K-State saying they got the supplemental, but would like documentation of the AP courses you took in high school? I'm going to have to request my AP scores sent from college board, which I didn't realize was necessary.