Kaplan 20-21 7 Book Set

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drakelong

Reaction score
Is the Kaplan 7 Book set worth it? It's not too expensive on Amazon, and I'm taking the exam once this September and again in January/February, so they'd be put to good use. I've seen different recommendations on this forum about studying all from one set and across sets, so I'd like to know what folks recommend.

My main questions I guess are:
Is the Kaplan set a good resource?
If it's better to spread out review across books, which ones are best for which sections?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the Kaplan 7 Book set worth it? It's not too expensive on Amazon, and I'm taking the exam once this September and again in January/February, so they'd be put to good use. I've seen different recommendations on this forum about studying all from one set and across sets, so I'd like to know what folks recommend.

My main questions I guess are:
Is the Kaplan set a good resource?
If it's better to spread out review across books, which ones are best for which sections?

Thanks all!
Please don't do this -- anyone who knows what they are talking about would not advise planning on taking the test more than once. It is sometimes necessary if you don't do well the first time, but it's not like the SAT with super scoring and schools encouraging it. A really bad score on the first attempt could be really bad for you going forward, not matter how well you do on subsequent attempts. Please do not take the September exam unless you think you are prepared to hit whatever your target is.

As for your question, my answer is really a non-answer. Kaplan is a big, well-respected company that puts out a decent product, as do many other companies. People have different learning styles and respond to different course book styles. You will receive a ton of different opinions here, depending on who happens to take the time to respond and what they happened to like. Kaplan is fine. So is most of the other stuff you will see mentioned here. Your best bet would be to go to a bookstore or library (if any are open), and flip through some books to see what you like, or see what Amazon has that you can preview. Just make sure to get all the AAMC materials in addition to whatever books you end up using. Good luck!!!

I liked the Kaplan review books a lot, but it's unnecessary to buy the newest edition. You'll be more than fine buying a previous edition for much cheaper. Do not pick and choose review books from different companies, just use one.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors