Kaplan basic prep options (online courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am planning on taking the Aug MCAT and have been exploring a number of prep options. I was leaning towards taking a class even though coming up with the $$ will be very difficult for me, mainly because I feel like I need the structure and organization that a class would provide. However, I was also looking at Kaplan's "basic prep" options, online courses you can take that offer diagnostic tests, practice problems, and lectures. In particular, I was looking at the MCAT science basics course, because 1.) it is significantly cheaper than the classroom course ($499 v. $1350), 2.) it focuses only on the science review (I am not too concerned about verbal based on the practice exams I have taken so far), 3.) it appears to be mainly review and not so much "test-taking strategies" (which I am not so concerned about), and 4.) you can access it any time, which would work better for me since I will be working almost full-time this summer and most of the classroom options near me conflict with my work schedule. Basically, it seems like this might be a way for me to get some of the structure of lessons and more formal review without all the cost and time requirements of taking a prep class. However, I'm wondering if the online course really offers much more than I could get out of self-study. I already have the complete set of EK materials and the Kaplan MCAT comprehensive review book and workbook, so I'm trying to decide if the online course is worth an extra $500. Opinions, especially from those who have experience with these courses, will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest value of taking Kaplan was the extra practice material, which it sounds like you'd be getting access to with the online option. However, you should find out if you get all materials, or just a selection.

The big advantage to taking the full course though, is the full-length practice tests. They are extremely difficult and really get your rear into gear.

I would say that the online course would certainly be a help, but you as long as you know very well what the test will cover and are good at pacing yourself in your studying over the summer, I would say it won't be as helpful as taking the whole course. The extra practice materials Kaplan offers are great, but if you can afford the $$ then I would go with the class, just for the full-length practice exams if nothing else. Granted, I know it's a lot of money. For example, a lot of the diagnostics are very challenging, but there aren't diagnostics on every topic, and if you don't get the full range of diagnostics on the online version (again, you should check on that) it might not be as much of a help. Also, all the same materials will be available online if you take the regular course, so access shouldn't be a problem, except for the classes, which you can choose not to go to if you find they're not helping.

Good luck!