Kaplan "BLUE BOOK"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjkim1232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to begin studying for the DAT and was hoping for some advice.

1. What is the Kaplan "BLUE BOOK"?

Is it just the Kaplan DAT review book (Kapland DAT with CD-ROM, 2007-2008 Edition) that is sold in bookstores or is there a book that is specifically called the Blue Book?

2. Also, I was planning on using the Kaplan Blue book, Schaum's (Bio, chem, ochem) to study for the test. Then moving onto taking practice tests (Achiever, Topscore, and maybe Destroyer) the final month or so before the test (I plan on taking the test in either May or June).

Is this plan feasible? Am I missing anything here?

I would appreciate any and all advice, opinions, criticisim.

Thanks again everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. What is the Kaplan "BLUE BOOK"?

Is it just the Kaplan DAT review book (Kapland DAT with CD-ROM, 2007-2008 Edition) that is sold in bookstores or is there a book that is specifically called the Blue Book?

The Blue Book is the one that you can find at book stores across the nation.

2. Also, I was planning on using the Kaplan Blue book, Schaum's (Bio, chem, ochem) to study for the test. Then moving onto taking practice tests (Achiever, Topscore, and maybe Destroyer) the final month or so before the test (I plan on taking the test in either May or June).

Is this plan feasible? Am I missing anything here?

I started studying for the DAT at the end of December, and my plan is similar to yours:

1) Currently, I'm reading the Kaplan Blue Book, and creating my own notes. Like yourself, I have Schaum's Outlines, which are a good source to second-check material that Kaplan does not explain well.
2) After studying my "personal" Kaplan notes, I will take the computerized Kaplan practice DAT to see where I stand with the material.
3) Next, I plan to work Destroyer problems and take notes. Meanwhile, I will continue going over my Kaplan notes.
4) During the week before my DAT, I will take TopScore practice DATs, and review all of my Kaplan and Destroyer notes.

Hope that helps.

Yes, the kaplan "blue book" is the book you are described. When I took the test I followed a similar plan and started studying in January and took the test at the begining of May and that was plenty of studying. I used the Kaplan DAT class instead of the blue book, Schaum's outlines, and then top score pro toward the end of my studying.

From what I understand Destroyer and Achiever are good as well, but you'll want to for sure start with the kaplan book or class to give you a better foundation. Kaplan should lay down the foundation of your preparation along with Schaum's, then everything else sharpen's your knowledge with test questions and practice tests. Three months is plenty of time to prepare as long as you are studying a couple hours a day several days a week.

Good luck.

I think your plan is good. ^^

I studied Barron's at first, but trust me... you don't want to buy that book.

I am currently going through the DAT Destroyer, which I think is AWESOME. I LOVE IT! ^^ It's tough because it has a lot of tricky questions, but once you read the solutions, it's really easy to understand. But I would not recommend tackling this book until you've established a strong foundation in each of the subjects. I'm doing 20 questions a day right now. So I should be done in a little less than a month.

Then I'm going to review a chapter a day in Schaum's for biology because that's my weakest subject. I guess I would do what you're doing if I had more time, but I want to take the DAT at the end of March so that I can retake it if I really need to... and since I want to apply in July, it's necessary to take it in March because you can't take the DAT again until 90 days after... boo~~~

Then I'm just going to take practice tests from TopScore... review those over and over... review DAT Destroyer questions & keep reading Schaum's biology over and over... haha

HMM... the only thing I have NOT factored into my schedule is studying for the PAT. I'm glad I wrote this entry because I totally forgot about that section until right now. hahahaha :laugh:

GOOD LUCK!!!!! :luck: