Kaplan Class or NOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shakenotstirred

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Even though this question must be posted SOMEwhere, I need some help with this decision on whether to take the MCAT Prep class, or not. Many have told me that, statistically, they have found no positive correlation between taking the course and high test grades--basically that it doesn't matter. I am pretty good with studying on my own, and really dedicated, but my schedule is not going to work with the course in the fall (I plan to take the test in Apr.); but if you guys really think its worth it, Ill make it fit. SO, are there many here who think that the course really really helps (i.e, if theres something you never learned, does the teacher actually teach you it, or is everything basically in the book)? What are your honest opinions about these prep classes?

Sorry for the long (typical) question, thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you can study hard, here's my advice. Buy some books and devote several hours a day for months before the exam doing practice passages, memorizing formulas, etc... You can do it on your own.

I took TPR, and I recommend a prep course, just because it can keep one focused. If you have that focus already, than go for it. I know alot of people who took a course and that became arrogant ("I don't need to study") or complacent ("I'll be fine without studying") and still bombed. On the other hand, I know lots of people who have vowed to be vigilant in studying for the MCAT or who thought they could wing it, who didn't do so well.

In the end it boils down to how much YOU can put into it. Everything else is just a tool to help you.