kaplan dat diagnostic...please assure me this is okay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got my Kaplan diagnostic test back, without hardly any prepartion I scored I think okay, atleast I think, I really want to know what you all think about these marks and how much realistically I can improve...

AA14/NS15/Bio15/GenChem14/OrganicChem*best section*17/ReadingComp15/QuantReasoning11(HORRID!)

Well I'm gonna devote so much time to doing better on the real thing, thankgod this was only a diagnostic!

Anyone else do similarly and knock out the real thing! Lemme know.

Members don't see this ad.

dont worry about it those scores are normal for the diagnostic exam if you put in good quality studying time you will bring upi your score and do well

my kaplan diagnostic was rediculously low, like 10's and 9's. i got a 21/20/17 on the real thing. i know a lot of other people that also did really bad on the diagnostic. i think this is for 2 reasons - first of all it is the first practice test you've taken, so you're unprepared and unpracticed. secondly i think they make it harder than the real one on purpose so you'll buy their book and class! think about it, it does not benefit kaplan if you do well on the diagnostic. my advice is buy the kaplan blue book and the topscore cd's, study and practice with the kaplan book for a month or so, and then take a topscore test. when you take a topscore, pretend that you're in the room and it's the real thing. make sure there are no distractions. take each test all at once, (not just one section a day or something) and only use the timer on the first one or two (take at least one of the three without the timer). after each topscore, take a day and go back through it redoing the ones you got wrong and figuring out why the right answer is right, and maybe reading over the blue book section about that topic again. finally, whatever you get on the topscores, add 2 or 3 points to each section and that is a good approximation of how you'd do on the actual with the third topscore being the most accurate. good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
Hey guys,
I just got my Kaplan diagnostic test back, without hardly any prepartion I scored I think okay, atleast I think, I really want to know what you all think about these marks and how much realistically I can improve...

AA14/NS15/Bio15/GenChem14/OrganicChem*best section*17/ReadingComp15/QuantReasoning11(HORRID!)

Well I'm gonna devote so much time to doing better on the real thing, thankgod this was only a diagnostic!

work on reading comprehension..15 is low even for the diagnostic.

Relax...I think the diagnostic is meant to scare you slightly. That way, you see progress as your scores go up and it gives you some motivation to study and use Kaplan's resources. I can't remember exactly, but I do recall my scores being about same as yours after the diagnostic. I studied hard and on the real thing I did pretty well (21/21/17). Other than the PAT, I think if you study hard and use all the materials Kaplan provides you will rock the real thing. :D

Ever hear of the HSG, they aren't stupid when they write the diagnostic. Although you can still retake once for free if you feel like it.

yeah,
as long as you study hard you will be fine. i made like a 15 AA, with 11 and 12s in some sections and a PAT of 18. then on the real DAT i made a 20 AA. The PAT is the one section that Kaplan is terrible at predicting. After the diagnostic i consistently made 20 or higher on the PAT and then got a freaking 15 on the real DAT. all i can say is to practice the PAT A LOT...good luck, you'll do fine.

dexadental said:
Hey guys,

I had similar scores on the Kaplan diagnostic. My real DAT scores were
Academic Average 20
PAT 15
QR 18
RC 21
Bio 22
G-Chem 19
O-Chem 19.

I studied mostly off my old textbooks and just used the Kaplan book as a guide. I definately would find another source to study for the PAT.

Mark

I'll add my voice to the crowd. My diagnostic scores for the science sections were almost identical to yours, and I raised each of them into the 20s. Just study hard and you'll be in good shape.

study hard and concentrate on PAT :) and look into the DAT forum

Hey guys,
Appreciate all the replies, its Friday night and well, I'm here at the library studying :(...oh well, I wanna rock this DAT. I'm busting my buns off using Kaplan, gonna try to do 2 hours every other nite during the week and dedicate alot of time on weekends. All your posts are VERY reassuring, and I'll have to try and get Topscore as well. Thanks guys!

My Kaplan Diag. scores with NO preparation:
AA 11
Bio 13
Gen Chem 11
Org Chem 12
RC 10
QR 12
PAT 18

Kaplan Final Scores:
AA 15
Bio 16
Gen Chem 13
Org Chem 15
RC 17
QR 14
PAT 22

I have to admit, I did not study as much as I should have during the classes and before the final test. So I had that much improvement by basically going to all the classes and leisurely studying in my spare time (but is still NOT a good score on AA). I'm now cracking down on studying because I gotta get at least 20+ on the real thing with my crap GPA.

The diagnostic is just to give you an idea where you stand- don't worry about it too much. Kaplan make things harder than on the real DAT. (otherwise, they wouldn't have that garantee if you score lower than their practice tests, you'll get a refund) I did horrible on the reading comprehension- but I scored alright on the real thing.

Personally, I feel the test is a bit biased--all the questions on the exams and practice exams are based on the book they give you. I suppose how else would they test you huh. *shrugs*

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone here is making you feel better by telling you that those scores are okay, but don't let that lull you into a sense of security. If you keep studying hard for the next few weeks/months you will do great. My initial Kaplan scores were worse than yours. I couldn't even finish in the time allowed. I think most of my scores on the final kaplan after about 200+ hours of study time I was around 16-18 in most sections. The REAL dat I scored 20aa/22ts/20pat.

Good luck dex, keep studying!

msf41 said:
Everyone here is making you feel better by telling you that those scores are okay, but don't let that lull you into a sense of security. If you keep studying hard for the next few weeks/months you will do great. My initial Kaplan scores were worse than yours. I couldn't even finish in the time allowed. I think most of my scores on the final kaplan after about 200+ hours of study time I was around 16-18 in most sections. The REAL dat I scored 20aa/22ts/20pat.

Good luck dex, keep studying!
Yea thats what I'm HOPING in my case. I did poor/ok on my Kaplan final, so I'm hoping I'll do GOOD after studying for a couple months. But yea like he said, study like your life depends on it, and you'll be pleased with your score. Dont get too comfortable with words of encouragement. :luck:

dexadental said:
...its Friday night and well, I'm here at the library studying...

What?!! That's dedication and I admire it, but please don't blow a fuse! Studying is key to doing well on the DAT, but also remember to give yourself regular breaks, time off in which you don't eat, sleep, and breathe the exam, and get plenty of sleep. :thumbup:

The diagnostic is just a pile of garbage when it comes to the the DAT, its made hard on purpose in order to keep people in the class. Kaplan wants you to do bad in order to keep you in the class, sort of scare technique. Just good business sense I guess.

I guess it worked, becuase it got me studying. HD

pbure said:
work on reading comprehension..15 is low even for the diagnostic.

I have a hard time agreeing with this. I think, like most sections, the amount that you can improve is proportional to how much honest work you put into it. For some, it takes long to improve, for others it goes much faster. In anycase, you can realistically improve as much as you want. I got a 5 on my RC the first time around (that was only a month ago), but now i'm getting 19's and 20's. No problem at all. I'm still improving. Good luck! :cool:

Another quick question guys...I planned to take the DAT in April, and Kaplan ends in late February...I'm taking some tough classes this semester, but studying like mad, should I still take it as scheduled? I doubt I'll have "plenty" of time to study for it if I do this, but will it make me a better applicant on my application?? Thanks.

Take the DAT when you feel you're ready. You want to go in calmly (but word of advice, you'll never feel compleltey prepared). Also, I agree, don't study so hard that you get burnt out. I took the Kaplan course over the summer, didn't study because I was working, and really only concentrated on the PAT and quantitative a bit. Then, after one of my hardest trimesters at school in the fall, I didn't study for the DAT at all and I felt horrible about it. I came back, with 3 weeks to study, didn't think I would ever get it done, but I did...and I didn't study my brains out. Remember, this is a standardized test, so you can't study for it thinking you will know everything going in. I probably should have studied more for my quantitative and reading, but I was pretty laid back about the test overall just because having a great attitude going in and being relaxed can also dramatically influence your score. You'll be fine once you read through the Kaplan book. Just rememebr to feel confident and don't overstudy :)

These people are telling the truth- kaplan diagnostic is much harder than the real thing. I did 5-8 points better on every section on the real thing. Those jerks at kaplan..

I guess Kaplan worked for you then

C_dent said:
These people are telling the truth- kaplan diagnostic is much harder than the real thing. I did 5-8 points better on every section on the real thing. Those jerks at kaplan..

I've also heard the exact opposite as well, people doing worse on the real thing versus Kaplan.