Kaplan Diagnostic Test (=489) advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I took the Kaplan test w/o any prep.

18th percintile, 122 on Chem/Phs, 125 on CARS, 121 Bio/Biochem, 121 Psych/Soc

Right now I am taking "Advanced Biochemistry" at a state college, and it is really a seminar. I am not worried about that course. I am taking a Genetics course which I am worried about. I bring this up because, should I take some other courses and drop maybe Genetics for a Sociolgoy class? I take Psyc years ago my freshman year. I have taken all the prereqs other than Orgo 2 since I was told it was not as important as Biochem which I have taken a course in already. Just feeling really nervous and trying to optimize my time between now and May 6th test date. I am in the kaplan course too if that helps!

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't taken any kind of sociology class then it might be a good idea to swap genetics out. Sociology would serve you better than genetics at this point I think, based on my own MCAT experience.

If that diagnostic score is causing you to panic, don't put too much weight into it. Kaplan is generally known for giving out deflated scores, and you can also improve a lot from now until May. I have a friend who took a Kaplan diagnostic and scored 493ish but after a summer of studying got a 516 on the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't taken any kind of sociology class then it might be a good idea to swap genetics out. Sociology would serve you better than genetics at this point I think, based on my own MCAT experience.

If that diagnostic score is causing you to panic, don't put too much weight into it. Kaplan is generally known for giving out deflated scores, and you can also improve a lot from now until May. I have a friend who took a Kaplan diagnostic and scored 493ish but after a summer of studying got a 516 on the real thing.

It seems people believe sociology is the easiest one to self study? I don't know I don't want to underestimate it, but taking sociology would be less time consuming than genetics plus lab. I just don't want to be in a situation where 3 weeks in the course is not helping!

I mean generics is not needed for the MCAT, but my pre med advisor said take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I guess it really comes down to how you feel about material. If you think you can self study sociology then stay with genetics. A lot of it is just knowing terms and recognizing patterns in society.

Genetics would be useful to augment what you already learned in your other bio courses, but isn't essential. If you go through the AAMC content guide and feel at least moderately comfortable with all the topics on there, you're golden and probably don't need it. Khan academy videos are an awesome resource you can use too when you're self studying.

In my experience, psych and soc were all common sense questions on the mcat.

Yeah, the questions are the Kaplan diagnostic were not, in my opinion, hard because of the material, just terms I was not aware of like, the difference between groupthink and choice shift. Those would take 10 minutes to memorize. Knowing how to identify certain organic compounds is much more higher-order IMHO.

I think I may just drop Genetics, and focus on the MCAT, but still take my Advanced Biochem. I am about to begin my content review in earnest, and I already feel behind for my may 6th test date!

Had the exact same diagnostic score and a couple months later scored a 512 on the real thing. Personally I did a Kaplan class and gave myself 4wks after it ended to work through ALL their material that was recommended (which was most of it as it's based on your diagnostic). Kaplan tests are harder than the real thing, but do make sure after a couple weeks of studying you start doing a full length every week. The new MCAT is an endurance test largely and I'm so glad I did like 7 full lengths before hand.

Good luck!

Oh and personally if you can I don't think I would drop genetics. A lot of schools recommend it (which I always take to mean required). Can you get into an online sociology class? It's not difficult material and you could even self study for it. Mostly it's just getting comfortable with the terms.

Oh and personally if you can I don't think I would drop genetics. A lot of schools recommend it (which I always take to mean required). Can you get into an online sociology class? It's not difficult material and you could even self study for it. Mostly it's just getting comfortable with the terms.

I'm gonna self-study sociology, i feel it is more conducive to memorization. As for genetics, the professor said his class is the ahrdest class for the major, and I looked in the biology kalan book and the genetics on there was not so much to warranr--i think--the class. i just hate to feel like i am losing out on mcat studying while i am in a genetics lab. I think you are 100%, i will take it before med school or maybe even in the summer to boost my resume, but while schools recommend ("require") i feel confident to say that genetics is not necessary for the mcat. I really jus tneed a 501 to get into a DO school i believe along with the rest of my app (3.41sGPA, 3.51 cGPA, stellar LOR, etc.)

Thank you for your reply, do have any other advice. I am going through the orgo review book right now and want to finish it in a week (quick pass), and then go back and do problems and review concepts more earnestly. I plan on spending at most 2 months for content review....

You're definitely correct that genetics isn't a huge portion of it, but there may be some so at least look it over in your review materials. If you can get into genetics this summer I would just to strengthen your application. But you are right, focus on the MCAT.

Do you have all of the Kaplan review books? I wouldn't necessarily go through one all at once then the next one. I think you're better off if you can skim the high points of a few chapters of one book one day, then another book the next, etc. that way you see everything at once and it's not like you've forgotten the bio you studied by the time you get to chemistry. If you have the high yield problem guide from Kaplan I personally think it's useful enough to warrant spending a week on by itself.

You sound like you're on the right track- best of luck with it! Studying for this test is frankly terrible but you won't regret any of the time you put in.

Yeah, the questions are the Kaplan diagnostic were not, in my opinion, hard because of the material, just terms I was not aware of like, the difference between groupthink and choice shift. Those would take 10 minutes to memorize. Knowing how to identify certain organic compounds is much more higher-order IMHO.

I think I may just drop Genetics, and focus on the MCAT, but still take my Advanced Biochem. I am about to begin my content review in earnest, and I already feel behind for my may 6th test date!
If you don't need Genetics and the lab - I would drop it for a sociology class (or just drop it) if for nothing else than to get something super stressful off your plate while you are planning on focusing on the MCAT. Your last statement above speaks volumes and I would listen to what your instinct is telling you. Give yourself the fighting chance you need over the next few months...