Kaplan errors? Gen Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going thru some of the Kaplan tests (the one that worth over $1200)
and it seems some of them are different than what I studied. (Gen Chem).

For example, for colligative properties,
Kaplan says it's Kf*m or Kb*m (without i)
but all the other materials I have says Kf*m*i or Kb*m*i
and we know that i can make a huge difference when it comes to mathmetical problem.
It seems this applies to all the Kaplan materials whether it's $1200 online or Kaplan blue book, or Kaplan summary.

Also, in DAT destroyer #11, it asks for hybridization of AsF4(1-)
As = 5,
F = 4x7 = 28
total = 5+28 = 33 but then we got -1 charge so it's actually 34.

In kaplan, I don't remember exactly what was on the problem but it had
something like XY(3-) so it has 3 charges. (I don't remember what X and Y was and if it was +3 or -3 charge but I do remember that there were either +3 or -3) and what they did was they never added or subtracted 3 from the total valence electron and the solution said charge has nothing to do with it when it comes to hybridization.

any idea??

Members don't see this ad.

I was going thru some of the Kaplan tests (the one that worth over $1200)
and it seems some of them are different than what I studied. (Gen Chem).

For example, for colligative properties,
Kaplan says it's Kf*m or Kb*m (without i)
but all the other materials I have says Kf*m*i or Kb*m*i
and we know that i can make a huge difference when it comes to mathmetical problem.
It seems this applies to all the Kaplan materials whether it's $1200 online or Kaplan blue book, or Kaplan summary.

Also, in DAT destroyer #11, it asks for hybridization of AsF4(1-)
As = 5,
F = 4x7 = 28
total = 5+28 = 33 but then we got -1 charge so it's actually 34.

In kaplan, I don't remember exactly what was on the problem but it had
something like XY(3-) so it has 3 charges. (I don't remember what X and Y was and if it was +3 or -3 charge but I do remember that there were either +3 or -3) and what they did was they never added or subtracted 3 from the total valence electron and the solution said charge has nothing to do with it when it comes to hybridization.

any idea??

I have found errors in all materials you have listed above. I guess that you are just more prepared. I always refer to my textbooks when correcting these. People are starting to think destroyer is the bible and what not, but yes it too can have errors. Crack DAT MATH had sooooo many errors, but I finished all 25 tests and made more than I paid for it back because of finding these errors. Unless they replaced the questions with other questions with errors, Crack DAT MATH should be in good shape now. I was finding like 3 errors atleast on average per test. Destroyer had a few but some may not be errors, just "rare" cases of thinking deeply, for example if "ethers" are soluble. In a case like that I would go with the most basic case like diethyl ether, and like extraction labs and what not. For the colligative properties, the one with the i and the other one without are both correct. It depends on if your solution contains things that ionize in solution, other than that use the one without i. Kaplan has been recycling their material for the longest time, I have both the 2007-2008 and the 2008-2009 blue book, and they are almost 100% identical with identical errors. I hope this helps.