Kaplan for Gchem and Orgo?

Started by Dhudez
Tags Tags
pre-dental
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dhudez

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,

I have a kaplan book and I was wondering if going through the gen chem and orgo sections would be helpful. I've already gone through chad's videos but I want more practice and better understanding. Would this be beneficial? I always see people saying kaplan isn't a good resource which is why I'm asking this question. Thanks!
 
if you have have the chance - use Bootcampfor and DAT Destroyer for a deeper understanding. Mike's videos for gchem and ochem were great and the road maps in the DAT Destroyer helped me a lot - also look into lectures on YouTube for final reviews for a college course

In the meantime - do the practice questions in Kaplan!
 
@Hnl7

Thank you! Yes I am planning on getting bootcamp soon and I recently got destroyer. I just feel very discouraged because when I go through 20 questions Ill get about 8-10 of them wrong which really worries me. Is this normal?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Hnl7

Thank you! Yes I am planning on getting bootcamp soon and I recently got destroyer. I just feel very discouraged because when I go through 20 questions Ill get about 8-10 of them wrong which really worries me. Is this normal?

Totally normal! Focus on learning and not on how many you get right or wrong. I wasn't able to go through it entirely but people with amazing scores like 25s have gone through it more than once. You're doing all the right things just keep at it.

As far as Kaplan, don't bother with it.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
@PredentalPrincess

Whew! Ok thanks! I was so worried about ochem that I decided to take a practice test on bootcamp and I thought it was ALOT easier than Destroyer. I ended up scoring a 20.
 
From past experience, I honestly didnt think Kaplan was useful for studying the chem sections. They had way too much unnecessary stuff imo.
 
I did actually use KBB, but only for the Bio section. Didn't bother with any of the rest at all. For practice, I did all of DAT Destroyer twice, and KBB provided me with an excellent foundation that I built on top of with BC and Destroyer. For GC/OC I pretty much only used Mike's videos. Took really detailed notes, and jumped into BC Practice tests. Didn't use Destroyer much, the questions I had were not like Destroyer at all.
 
I found Kaplan to be unnecessary.

Chad's videos for basic reviews + easy problems --> Bootcamp (closest to the actual exam) --> DAT Destroyer for challenges (no time? skip this). This is more than sufficient for the DAT.
 
Hey Everyone,

I have a kaplan book and I was wondering if going through the gen chem and orgo sections would be helpful. I've already gone through chad's videos but I want more practice and better understanding. Would this be beneficial? I always see people saying kaplan isn't a good resource which is why I'm asking this question. Thanks!
Definitely BC for the chemistry's. I used Mike's videos and they were fantastic. Use Destroyer as prep material for questions, but BC for review.