Kaplan: If not going to use online lectures, switch from Webprep to Home Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatethistest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread, but didn't responses so I figured I'd give it one more shot. Once I finish with Goljan in a few days, I'm going to start reading the Kaplan series (besides, phys, path, and micro) and want to get thoughts on this before I start reading their books.

1. Is it necessary to use the lectures with the books in order to be complete when doing the Webprep? Or can the books be used by themselves like the home study ones can?

I ask since I bought the webprep thinking I would like to use lectures too in addition to reading for some variety, but I didn't know the lectures were so numerous in number and so long (something like 70-80 hours I think). This is combined with the fact that I started studying a bit later than I should have, so timewise I may only have time to read the books and not listen to the lectures.
So what do you think, would reading only the books be incomplete? Should I see if I can trade them in and get the home study ones if I'm only going to read books?

I used the search feature and pretty found my answers on my other questions from my other thread about the biochem and pharm books in the 7 book series. Most people thought that the biochem was the best book and that the pharm wasn't bad either. However, any extra thoughts on these would be great too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have the webprep and have only been using the lecture notes. They really can stand alone without the lectures.

I'm using some of the kaplan books from a friend and agree you can definitely use them alone. They have a disclaimer stating that they aren't meant to be used alone, but I'm not sure why. I haven't looked at the home study books, but if it's like what Kaplan did for the MCAT back when I used their stuff, the home study and class materials are essentially the exact same info just packaged in a slightly different order. Good luck!

I can't speak to whether or not you can use the lecture notes without the videos, I am working through the home study books now (half way through book 3) and they are great, though time consuming.