1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaplan Instructor $PAY?$???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kreno, Aug 15, 2002.

1. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

I just got hired as an MCAT instructor for Kaplan, but I forgot to ask about pay. How much do they pay by the hour? Do they pay you for preparing for class?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They pay $7/hr for preparation, but there is a maximum number of hours you can claim as prep time for each class. My starting pay was $18/hr. I'm pretty sure that this varies a bit by location though, so don't take my word for this.

4. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

the guy who hired me wasn't sure, he was either 15 or 12... but he was pretty ure 15. 12 would be really low wouldn't it? if i's 15 and i get 7 hours for prep, that would be great! is it worth it? thanks!

5. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Trout is right on. When the Kaplan recruiter came to my school, they told us med students that it was $6-7/hour for training and then $18/hour for teaching classes. Maybe pay varies by location though?

6. keptium

keptium Member
    7+ Year Member

Kaplan pays for prep time!?!?!?!?!? NO WAY! I wish I knew that cuase i had to spend like 10 hours working on each lecture and Princeton Review doesn't pay for prep at all!

7. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

I just finished teaching for PR here in Los Angeles... I got paid $20/hr to start (lecture and office hours) and $10/hr for 2 hours of prep time each week. Midterm, I received a $1 raise based on my good evaluations.

My friend up at Stanford workin for PR was paid $25/hr to start with no prep time paid.

8. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

...and keptium... even tho 2 hours of prep time were paid, I still ended spending WAY more time than that. I really think PR needs to start paying for lots more prep time.

9. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL Funny how you took a job without even finding out how much it pays.

:laugh: Sike, I've done that before.

10. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr
    7+ Year Member

I was getting 20 an hour with 7 dollars an hour for prep...

11. steiner19er

steiner19er Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You guys have to prep for kaplan? I think I got screwed; when I took the Kaplan DAT prep. My teacher was late, and canceled 1/4 of the classes. When she was there she just grabbed to teachers manuel and started reading it. Maybe it was b/c of her that I think Kaplan was the biggest waste of $$ I ever spent.

12. keptium

keptium Member
    7+ Year Member

I can't believe that some princeton review places pays for prep! You would think they would have some sort of standard for all their offices. :(

Are you guys planning on teaching through med school?