kaplan mcat course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to hear opinoins. My friend said it's worth the money....
maybe any of you have done it?
thanks,
m

Members don't see this ad.

You'll find a lot of threads on this topic in the "MCAT discussions" forum. However, I'll go ahead and answer. I thought it was worth the money. The teacher for my classes knew even less than I did, but taking the Kaplan administered practice tests helped me feel more confident going into the real test...

I personally did not find it to be a good value and did not gain much from it. I took the class for the April MCAT, did poorly, and then used the Examkrackers books to study again in August. I found that working on my own with the Examkrackers books worked better for me.

Here is what the Kaplan course does provide you with:
-structure and a schedule of what to study when, so it's not as overwhelming
-other students to study with
-full-length practice exam simulations, which are helpful for getting "in the mode"

If you are a good independent studier who can pace yourself and stick to a disciplined routine, I think you can save yourself a lot of money by not taking the course. I also feel very strongly that the Examkrackers study materials are superior, and you can buy full-length AAMC exams online to take full-lengths.

Members don't see this ad :)
tulane06 said:
I took the Kaplan course, my real MCAT score was 10 points higher than the diagnostic I had before taking the course. So yes, I would recommend it.

I think the key is the structure and resources (tons of practice tests, practice section tests, Q-bank online...way more material than you could every physically manage to get through). If you put in the time and utilize their resources and stay on top of the material as the course progresses, I feel that this course is worthwhile. If you are a good independent learner, pay for the online access to Kaplan materials and the books (I think it's a bit cheaper than paying for the entire class-based course).

If you want someone to walk you through the review, then take the course. If you're self-disciplined and would prefer to study on your own, then buy the actual kaplan course books from someone on Ebay. The MCAT organization offers downloadable old mcat tests that you can take to test yourself as you proceed.

My score too went up 10 points from the diagnostic - and in my opinion the Kaplan course was *absolutely* worth the money. No way I would have done as well as I did with out it.

I'm somebody who procrastinates, and there's so much to study, I loved the structure of the classes and helping point out exactly what you need to know content-wise for the test. The timing of the test and sections is so insanely crazy (although I don't know how it will change once the computer-based test is implemented), that the most important things Kaplan gives you are the best test-taking strategies, and the full length practice tests. By the time you take the actual test, you'll have done at least 5 full length tests, which are structured exactly like the actual test, so you'll be used to the length and sheer fatigue it wreaks on you. And also, the kaplan tests are often much harder than the real thing - I did a lot of the old AMCAS released tests on my own too - but they're great practice.

And as far as the money goes, yes its expensive. But put it into perspective - its allowing you (hopefully) a better shot at getting into medical school, and eventually, once you are established, that money isn't going to matter to you. It's paying in a little bit now to get tons out later.

And one last thing: Always keep in mind that its in Kaplan's best interest, as a business, for you to do as well as possible. That's how they make their money - and lord knows they want to make money!

Kaplan works.

online material galore. you can train as hard as you want and it's structured so you don't have to to plan everything out for yourself. the centers are available for you to practice at and their proctored exams are really well done.

i jumped 6 points from my previous MCAT

In the scheme of things the fee for the course is insignifigant. You put yourself at a signifigant disadvantage not taking this course. Study it like you did O.C. and you will do well on the MCAT.