Kaplan Practice Test (2015) vs DAT Destroyer (2010)

Jalam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started doing some online subject practice questions on Kaplan's website. And occasionally switch to my DAT destroyer (borrowed from a friend that took the DAT) from time to time. I don't know if its just me or if the Destroyer books, at least the Gen Chem and Organic chemistry, are EXTREMELY overkill. To the point where it makes me lose all hope...

I guess I just would like some opinions on if I should keep practicing with the DAT destroyer or are the Kaplan practice material already difficult enough since they SHOULD be already more harder than the actual OAT.

I have about 4 practice tests on the Kaplan website, and many subject tests over certain topics to quiz myself on as well. Taking the test on Sept 9th.

Members don't see this ad.

Like you said, Kaplan's Gen Chem is a little overkill in my opinion. I'm not too familiar with DAT Destroyer. But Kaplan focuses a lot more on calculations than concepts, whereas it was kinda reversed on the actual OAT, for mine anyways. If you used Chads videos/ quizzes in addition to Kaplan, you've already seen the hardest of the material. Don't stress! I made like a 260 on my Kaplan Gen Chem a week before haha, then made a 320 on the real thing. You'll do great!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, as for OCHEM, Chads reaction sheet! Sleep on it!! I'm just saying that because I think I saw you post somewhere that you were using his videos? Kaplan is pretty close on this section with the real thing. The real thing is a tad easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, as for OCHEM, Chads reaction sheet! Sleep on it!! I'm just saying that because I think I saw you post somewhere that you were using his videos? Kaplan is pretty close on this section with the real thing. The real thing is a tad easier.

Did the Organic chemistry section have the compounds drawn out for the most part? Also, did they use the specific names of the reactions? Like " What is the prodoct of this Williamson Ether Synthesis?, Acid catalyzed Dehydration, Hydroboration-Oxidation, Epoxidation etc..?

Did the Organic chemistry section have the compounds drawn out for the most part? Also, did they use the specific names of the reactions? Like " What is the prodoct of this Williamson Ether Synthesis?, Acid catalyzed Dehydration, Hydroboration-Oxidation, Epoxidation etc..?

No problem! It was pretty similar to Kaplan. In other words it was kind of half & half for me. Like, sometimes the question stem would have the drawn out ball & stick models & the answers were listed as the ball & stick models. Other times, they were listed as like "CH3CH2CH2Br". I think in to end, it's all relative to what they're asking you to find though. They kept it pretty simple in my opinion to visualize/quickly sketch out, & I am absolutely terrible with that haha. Of course there were some more difficult ones too.

As for specific reaction names, I don't really remember seeing much of that at all. If anything, they would ask something like, "What is the most likely product of the reaction below?" And then they'd give you a reagent & either the starting or end product. There were a few straight from Chads reaction sheet. But if you're able to recognize your basic oxidizing/reducing reagents & what they do (to say a mono substituted vs di substituted Carbon) as well as most of those reactants on Chads sheet, you should be good for the reactions. I hope that kinda helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Jalam, check out my recent post about my OAT exam I took this afternoon!! I only used Kaplan and I really didn't feel the need to use anything else. Even the Kaplan questions (majority of them) were much harder than the real OAT questions..much less in depth on the real thing. Try not to loose hope, that's what happened to me when I started scoring poorly on all my section tests. Just use it as practice and you'll be very prepared!