Kaplan, Princeton Review or ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suze

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm actually planning on taking the MCAT this summer for the first time and was wondering anyone have any suggestions on which course might be more beneficial? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the MCAT in August and have found Kaplan to be effective, also I got flashcards for the same material off of Amazon, they really help.

Hi guys,
I am planning on taking the MCAT this summer(08) and have heard a lot about all these different courses any suggestions on which may be more beneficial or that may help me get a good MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Save yourself 1500 bucks. Buy the Kaplan book, for less than 100, and review on your own. That's essentially what you'll end up doing if you take Kap or PR anyway. They will give you some deadlines with a very minor incentive for sticking to them, and you'll do all the work on your own.
That being said, many people find these review courses to be helpful, and they will disagree with me.

I highly recommend Princeton Review. I found that the material in the books covered exactly the material you needed to know for the MCAT--no unnecessary details. As well, the "teachers"- or at least the ones I had- really emphasize the appropriate strategies you should employ to maximize your performance on the test. As with Kaplan, Princeton Review also provides you with a number of practice tests in addition to access to the ones provided by the AMCAS. You should keep in mind, however, that the PR tests are on average more difficult than actual AMCAS MCATs, but they do provide good practice.

Although I didn't take the Kaplan course myself, I know others who have. I burrowed the Kaplan flashcards, and while they were useful, I found that at times they covered detailed material not even addressed by PR.

I've recommended PR to all my friends. :)

I'm going to say off the bat that I am biased since I work for Princeton Review.

I disagree with what you was previously said about courses not being helpful since you have to study on your own. The reason that many people take Princeton Review is that there are 107.5 hours of class time (not including the time you spend taking the 17 practice tests we get you access to through us and AAMC). You're spending a lot of time in front of a stellar instructor to learn the concepts and strategies, not just studying on your own. I found the course helpful because I needed a great teacher to cram the information down my throat for 100 hours. Some students may work better studying on their own, though, and probably dont need a course. You should think about what would work best for you and make the choice from there.

At the least, I would recommend calling the Princeton Review (and even Kaplan or any other company) to find out what free events are coming up. I know that we have free strategy sessions where you can get a piece of a lecture and see if our teaching style is for you. Even if you decide against taking a course with any of the companies you will have gotten some free lecturing out of the deal, so there's nothing to lose.

PM me if you have any other questions.

I have taken the in class Kaplan course during last summer and took the August MCAT.

I truly think that the in class course was useless while the online resources and the books were helpful. I believe you can purchase the online resources and the books (as an online course) rather than the in class course. What they go over during the class isn't the material you need to know for the MCAT. Rather, Kaplan goes over their "strategy" in passage approach by "mapping" the passages. "Mapping" briefly, with several words to a short sentence, summarizes each paragraph of the passage. I found this to be incredibly ineffective. In my opinion, if you are finishing the sections at least 5 minutes early (if not 10), you can not "map" the way Kaplan wants you to and finish the sections. The bottom line is that Kaplan in class lectures are not going to teach you the material you need to know for the MCAT....at most they'll go over about 10% of the stuff you need to know. You are supposed to have reviewed the assigned reading before coming to class. So that while you are IN class, they go over the Kaplan strategy using A FEW of the topics you read.

Again, the online resources such as practice tests by Kaplan and AAMC were nice to have. The online quizzes and topic tests were nice too. The books and the flash cards they send you were decent. With the in class teachers, it's hit and miss. My physics teacher was soooo wrong about some of the stuff...because she doesn't know physics! On the other hand our ochem teacher was good. So, it really depends on the teacher.

Lastly, the money back guarantee by Kaplan is incredibly difficult to get since you have to do all of their quizzes and tests.....there's a LOT. You will not be able to do them. Plus, the higher score guarantee is kind of B.S. since the diagnostic test is designed to be incredibly hard so that you most likely are going to get a higher score on the real thing unless you pass out during the real test and forget to void the exam. (you need to score lower than the Kaplan diagnostic test on the real test AND have done ALL of your quizzes/assignments etc.... to get your money back. I'd say it's nearly impossible to get the money back).

As someone has suggested, buy the review books...EK, Kaplan, PR...they will I'm sure all do good jobs.
Save yourself the $1600.

if money isnt a problem, and you want to take a course...
princeton review>>>>>kaplan.
their materials are better, the teachers are more prepared, and you can get a better, more comprehensive review.
but, everyone is right. everything you get from the courses, you can get from just buying the books and doing your own review. ultimately, it's up to you. do you learn better from a classroom setting or are you responsible enough to study on your own and stay on top of the material.

Use Exam Krackers. They are MUCH better than Kaplan or PR in prepping for MCAT. Don't take a classroom course- save yourself a thousand or so dollars and just review hardcore on your own.

There is much more on this in the MCAT forum.

it depends on what kind of student you are. pick out what type of student you are and use the advice accordingly.

Type A: Very dilligent, Good time-management, focuses on task diligently: If you are a student like this, I would say SAVE your money.....but good MCAT prep books and self-study. Exam kracker is a good choice.. I would say buy Princeton review's book for the physical science section.......and just study.. My experience is that the more practice questions you can do, the better prepared you will be....GET LOTS of practice questions and you will just fine

Type B: Not so diligent, need a structured guidiance to stay on track with studying:IF you are a student like this, take one of the prep courses.......I took Princeton...but honestly, I was NOT impressed....the experience was nice but after taking the exam, I felt Princeton didnt help much.....(just personal opinion)...Princeton, basically gives youa bunch of books and some student-teacher basically repeats and goes through the book with you....and we sometimes do multiple 20 mins practice question at the back of the book...bottom line.. I felt I should have saved my money and self-study...Honestly , i would recommend Princeton review, but if you can buy their books and mange your time properly, I think you will be able to study better for the MCAT and you will save yourself thousands of dollars!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!:):)