kaplan qbank harder than the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

I've heard be say this. Don't know about the validity

Members don't see this ad.

there are days with qbank when i think it's a great learning tool then there are others when I want to rip both my eyes out - score a 30% and wonder what the hell just happened!?:laugh:

I haven't taken the real thing..

But I've done all of Qbank and all the NBME's. Both just plain suck in different ways..

I get tired of reading the long drawn out passages for each Q bank question, and the fact is, you don't really have to think to answer them. You just either know some fact or don't.

The NBME's are a headtrip in their own design. Most questions are just one or 2 sentences but can be extremely difficult. Some require three steps to get to an answer, and even when you do, there's more than one answer that seems correct. Or two choices look exactly alike, and you just can't put your finger on what the difference is.

Be very weary of Qbank...it can often lead you in the wrong direction.

Members don't see this ad :)

But I've done all of Qbank and all the NBME's. Both just plain suck in different ways..

I get tired of reading the long drawn out passages for each Q bank question, and the fact is, you don't really have to think to answer them. You just either know some fact or don't.

The NBME's are a headtrip in their own design. Most questions are just one or 2 sentences but can be extremely difficult. Some require three steps to get to an answer, and even when you do, there's more than one answer that seems correct. Or two choices look exactly alike, and you just can't put your finger on what the difference is.

I'll also add this... It wouldn't surprise me for some to be acing Qbank with a score of 80 or higher, and then wind up getting an average or low grade on Step 1. Those people are everywhere, and the probably don't post too often.

woooops, sorry about the double post, i wonder if i can delete one?

I'll also add this... It wouldn't surprise me for some to be acing Qbank with a score of 80 or higher, and then wind up getting an average or low grade on Step 1. Those people are everywhere, and the probably don't post too often.

woooops, sorry about the double post, i wonder if i can delete one?

SDN has a high level of qbank hate. I thought it was awesome, personally.

I think the problems arise when people try to over analyze their percentages. I'm sure that's what Kaplan intended :rolleyes:

I tried some USMLEworld questions and I got nailed. SO discouraged. If USMLEworld is more reflective of the real thing, I will be so screwed.

Same here. I have been doing Uworld and the questions are really hard. My percentage have raise from a 30% to 36 and 38%. I am going through all of the wrong answers. :scared:

SDN has a high level of qbank hate. I thought it was awesome, personally.

I think the problems arise when people try to over analyze their percentages. I'm sure that's what Kaplan intended :rolleyes:

You know what, I think you're right..

I just did four sets of USMLERx and scored anywhere from mid 50's to 70's. This made me bug out and get really depressed. But I mean cmon, there's no correlation of a USMLERx percentage to ANYTHING!

I think I should stop doing things that discourage me this last week before my test. USMLERx has crazy clinical scenarios I've never seen before. Instead of preparing me I think its promoting some kind of learned helplessness.

Same here. I have been doing Uworld and the questions are really hard. My percentage have raise from a 30% to 36 and 38%. I am going through all of the wrong answers. :scared:

They are really hard and take a really long time to go over if you are doing the tutor mode! But I really like how the questions test multiple concepts in each question. From what I hear, that's how the questions on the boards are.

The NBME's are a headtrip in their own design. Most questions are just one or 2 sentences but can be extremely difficult. Some require three steps to get to an answer, and even when you do, there's more than one answer that seems correct.

And UW questions are just like that. My brain is fried after doing those q's, but it helps to keep me on my toes about the things I think that I know, but not enough to get the correct answer--just the one that is in the same neighborhood. So...if NBME practice tests most resemble the real thing, and UW q's resemble NBMEs...then I guess it's worth the brain-frying.

in general, qbank questions are close enough to the real thing. I finished all of qbank, and along with first aid, most of the questions sounded familiar on the real thing.

Yeah, there are stupid questions on qbank. disregard those, and you'll still be ok.

in general, qbank questions are close enough to the real thing. I finished all of qbank, and along with first aid, most of the questions sounded familiar on the real thing.

Yeah, there are stupid questions on qbank. disregard those, and you'll still be ok.
did you do any usmle world q's? just curious what you thought about them if you did. they seem to be more difficult than kaplan qbank but it's in a different way. less specific, but more thought-provoking with 2 or 3 steps sometimes. and yeah, you're right, i don't know jack (at least i feel that way sometimes when i throw down a 50%.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I had to quit using Qbank yesterday- granted I finished 94% of it and my test is on Saturday. It was way too frustrating to continue going from a 94 to a 62 in a matter of one day. I was doing in the high 70's and then yesterday I had one test that was a 64 and a 68, and my confidence is already on the edge with the test this close. SO, since I like to panic I decided to take the NBME #3 just to see if I really was blanking and screwed and I got a 720 (258) on it. I got a 234 and 238 on 1 and 2 of the NBME's. Granted I don't know how predictive the NBME's actually are...
My point is that Kaplan is quite ridiculous at times asking questions about diseases not in the pathology books, side effects for drugs that can only be found in the huge drug guides as a .000001% chance of occuring, etc... Take it for face value and use it to learn- NOT to assess yourself, it will kill your soul and confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys need to relax and stop stressing.

Most of you will comfortably pass. You will become a doctor in your chosen specialty.

You shouldn't be getting gray hair this early.

Dogs have nothing to worry about. Look how happy they are.

You guys need to relax and stop stressing.

Most of you will comfortably pass. You will become a doctor in your chosen specialty.

You shouldn't be getting gray hair this early.

Dogs have nothing to worry about. Look how happy they are.

:laugh: :thumbup: I hope you're right :)

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I had to quit using Qbank yesterday- granted I finished 94% of it and my test is on Saturday. It was way too frustrating to continue going from a 94 to a 62 in a matter of one day. I was doing in the high 70's and then yesterday I had one test that was a 64 and a 68, and my confidence is already on the edge with the test this close. SO, since I like to panic I decided to take the NBME #3 just to see if I really was blanking and screwed and I got a 720 (258) on it. I got a 234 and 238 on 1 and 2 of the NBME's. Granted I don't know how predictive the NBME's actually are...
My point is that Kaplan is quite ridiculous at times asking questions about diseases not in the pathology books, side effects for drugs that can only be found in the huge drug guides as a .000001% chance of occuring, etc... Take it for face value and use it to learn- NOT to assess yourself, it will kill your soul and confidence.

Good luck Saturday!! stay cool and calm ;)
You sound like you will do very well. Can I ask you how long you studied for the exam, and the approach you used? Eg: what books, question banks, etc.

I started on the 26th of December and I have studied an average of 10-11 hours/day for 6 days a week. Last summer I read RR Pathology 1st ed., BRS Physio, and Pharmcards. I also used FA in every block and read the relevant chapters in BRS Path and Phys. I started USMLERx in November, but really started using it in December. I finished that and started QBank in January- and did about 93% of that.
For books:
Kaplan Biochem/Genetics 2X
RR Pathology 2.5X
Lange Pharmcards 2X
Pharmcards 2X
RR Pharmacology- it sucked.
Clinical Micro Made Simple 2X
Microcards 2X
HY Immuno
Kaplan Immuno
BRS Physio 2X
HY Cell and Molecular 2X
Kaplan Anatomy/Neuroanatomy/Embryo
HY Neuroanatomy 2X
HY Histology
HY Behavioral Science 2X
FA 2007
UCV Biochemistry
Robbins Review of Path ~50%
Kaplan Qbook ~40%
The first half of Medessentials from Kaplan
Listened to all of the Goljan lectures between last summer and now while driving, walking and what not.
NBME forms 1,2, 3 (234, 238, and 258 respectively)
And oddly enough I still feel like I don't know anything.... Maybe becuase the test is so close. I have a pretty bad memory so repetition and different sources has always been the key for me. I just hope I can do that well on the real thing as I did on form 3!
I did everything once during the first four weeks and then repeated it again, and to finish my studying I am reading FA with all my notes from the Qbanks and doing the Lange Pharmcards again.
Treat it like a job- it sucks but it is only 2 months....

:scared: Can someone explain these NBME exams, please? I keep hearing a lot about them, but what are they? Practice exams? How much are they? How many are there? How soon do you normally take them? Are they on the NBME site? (guess I could find that one out for myself...:oops: )

Wow..thanks for your nice post, UNM2009.

We can't wait to see how it goes for you : )

good luck!!!!! :luck:

I started on the 26th of December and I have studied an average of 10-11 hours/day for 6 days a week. Last summer I read RR Pathology 1st ed., BRS Physio, and Pharmcards. I also used FA in every block and read the relevant chapters in BRS Path and Phys. I started USMLERx in November, but really started using it in December. I finished that and started QBank in January- and did about 93% of that.
For books:
Kaplan Biochem/Genetics 2X
RR Pathology 2.5X
Lange Pharmcards 2X
Pharmcards 2X
RR Pharmacology- it sucked.
Clinical Micro Made Simple 2X
Microcards 2X
HY Immuno
Kaplan Immuno
BRS Physio 2X
HY Cell and Molecular 2X
Kaplan Anatomy/Neuroanatomy/Embryo
HY Neuroanatomy 2X
HY Histology
HY Behavioral Science 2X
FA 2007
UCV Biochemistry
Robbins Review of Path ~50%
Kaplan Qbook ~40%
The first half of Medessentials from Kaplan
Listened to all of the Goljan lectures between last summer and now while driving, walking and what not.
NBME forms 1,2, 3 (234, 238, and 258 respectively)
And oddly enough I still feel like I don't know anything.... Maybe becuase the test is so close. I have a pretty bad memory so repetition and different sources has always been the key for me. I just hope I can do that well on the real thing as I did on form 3!
I did everything once during the first four weeks and then repeated it again, and to finish my studying I am reading FA with all my notes from the Qbanks and doing the Lange Pharmcards again.
Treat it like a job- it sucks but it is only 2 months....

Thanks for the post UMN. You may not feel like you know anything, but it seems like you're doing awesome according to your NBME scores (at least from what I've read from last year's posts). Good luck!

:scared: Can someone explain these NBME exams, please? I keep hearing a lot about them, but what are they? Practice exams? How much are they? How many are there? How soon do you normally take them? Are they on the NBME site? (guess I could find that one out for myself...:oops: )

There are 4 forms of the NBME tests. These are tests that contain retired questions from previous USMLE Step 1 examinations. Each form has 4 blocks (50 questions per block). They are used by students while preparing for the Step 1 exam as an assessment/score prediction guide. Each form costs $45. You can take a form as many times you want, but you have to pay the $45 everytime you take it. No answers are provided by the NBME. At the end of the exam, it will give you a score and your performance on every subject. You have no way to find out which ones you got wrong, or even how many you got wrong. You can take the tests in two different modes. One is test mode where you get 60 minutes for 50 questions (just like the actual Step 1 exam) or you can take it in self paced mode (where you get 4 hours/block). Form 1 is the easiest. Forms 2 and 3 are the most similar to the actual exam (this is according the students who have already taken the Step 1 exam). You can take them anytime you want. Normally students start with Form 1 at the beginning of their study period and see what their weaknesses are and most students reserve forms 2, 3 and 4 as they get closer to their test date, but you can take them anyway you want to. Here is the website:

https://apps.nbme.org/nsasweb/servlet/mesa_main

You need to open an account first, which will allow you to login to the site.

Good luck

how long before giving step one did you take nbme 1 and 2. I have a couple weeks left before step one and i just took nbme 1 a couple days ago and got a 234. I was expecting a bit higher because i had been averaging 70-80% on usmle world and qbank. so since you got the same thing on nbme 1 and then did great on nbme 3 i was wondering if a couple more weeks of studying will help me pull it up to 245+. Thanks in advance.

I took NBME 3 four days before Step 1. I have no idea how I did that well on 3, but I just hope that I did that well on the real thing. Keep studying and work on your weaknesses and your score should improve.