Kaplan Qbank versus USMLE World

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awake1022

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in terms of gearing up for Step 1 has anyone had experiences using both? I keep hearing about one or the other but can't figure out which might be a better option with regards to studying for step 1. What has everyone's experiences been with one or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Awake,

I think you should take a look at the Step2007 experience thread and the Step2007 Score thread.
Many test takers are sharing their experience using different material there, also the different Question banks.

It seems that USMLEWORLD is the most popular Qbank nowadays, by not only being closer to the real thing, but also having the better comments. (not to forget it´s way cheaper)

Well, since I just began studying for Step1 this week and will subscribe UW at the end of the month, the above info does not reflext my own experience.

There are many threads on this, try doing a search. The Experiences thread and the Score thread also have lots of information. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So in terms of gearing up for Step 1 has anyone had experiences using both? I keep hearing about one or the other but can't figure out which might be a better option with regards to studying for step 1. What has everyone's experiences been with one or the other?

I used both and while I too felt USMLEWorld was better, it is nice to have a different set of questions to attempt at times.

If you start early enough, there should be plenty of time to make good progress into both question banks.

i'd recommend doing uw, marking all questions you missed or guessed on, and then re-doing those again. do this before moving on to another question bank. uw does a great job of testing core concepts in difficult ways--concepts you need to master in order to do well on the exam. sure, the esoteria of kaplan may get you a few points, but if you're not solid on the fundamentals (a la uw), these points won't compensate for the many you'll miss because of weakness in the high-yield areas.

If you have time, I really think the best thing to do is do Kaplan Qbank first and then USMLEWorld. Kaplan Qbank for the details and to learn facts and then USMLEWorld to really understand everything.

I think I wouldn't have known enough to start on USMLEWorld but it is definetly the better question bank.

I found that the explainations on UW were much better. They not only tell you the answer, but explain why its the answer, sometimes even with diagrams. With kaplan, I was often left wanting after reading the explaination.

How is UW organized? Is it divided up into topics within subjects (e.g., micro/virology, or path/renal)?

Would it be a good idea to perhaps use UW during the year to study for course exams and shelf exams, then Qbank in the weeks before Step 1?

I found that the explainations on UW were much better. They not only tell you the answer, but explain why its the answer, sometimes even with diagrams. With kaplan, I was often left wanting after reading the explaination.

I actually thought that UW's explanations were too verbose, many times. It felt like I was reading a textbook. I agree that UW is better than Kaplan, but I think both are worth doing.

i haven't done QBank, but i just finished UW in full. i even did path twice. i thought the bank was good, and i learned a ton and became very comfortable doing questions and thinking with the information provided in the question stems. its good training. however, it seemed to me that UW did not cover very much information. there are many concepts tested repeatedly, and in challenging ways, but just as many things completely ommitted from the bank. for instance, there were very few Q's on cholesterol biochemistry, almost no mol bio, and behavioral is very weak. i understand however that it can't have everything. i have yet to take step 1 (tomorrow - yikes!), so maybe i'll feel differently after i finish the exam. but again, UW seemed to me a great learning tool, but not the end-all be-all . . .

I'm taking mine on friday. Good luck to you tomorrow! I just can't wait for it to be over at this point - think I burnt out weeks ago...

I actually thought that UW's explanations were too verbose, many times. It felt like I was reading a textbook. I agree that UW is better than Kaplan, but I think both are worth doing.

I had the same complaints as you -- World sometimes used the cut and paste approach rather than specifically answering the actual question in digestable fashion. World is certainly more popular on SDN than Kaplan, but both are good, and people have done well using either (or both). Kaplan has been around longer and has a few hundred more questions. However World does a better job of duplicating the "look" of the exam, and is also a much better deal costwise.

Are the questions in Kaplan Qbook taken from Qbank? If I can get a Qbook used for like $10, would you do that instead of getting Qbank.....and then I can subscribe to USMLE world? Or would you still recommend subscribing to Qbank in addition to USMLE world?

Are the questions in Kaplan Qbook taken from Qbank? If I can get a Qbook used for like $10, would you do that instead of getting Qbank.....and then I can subscribe to USMLE world? Or would you still recommend subscribing to Qbank in addition to USMLE world?
Qbook questions are not from Qbank. Several people on this forum have recommended Qbook over Qbank. Doing Qbook and UWorld sounds good to me.

Thanks for the reply.....Do you think a 2001 version of qbook would suffice? or would you recommend the newest version?