Kaplan QBank Vs. USMLERx Qmax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you think?

I plan on getting World for my last 3 months of study, but for the first 3? Any suggestions

I like the way USMLERx has options for difficulty level, and includes figures from First AID, plus its way cheaper and has the Flash Facts included

I feel that Kaplan however has potential to throw in some new info not in first aid that I may have missed during my studying.

Any Consensus?

Members don't see this ad.

looks like we've got similar plans, I'm using the last 2 months to do WORLD and currently have USMLERx so that I know my FA cold... You could try Webpath which is free, the explanations are not detailed but each question shows the "classical" presentation

I'm about 75% through Kaplan Qbank and 50% through USMLERx Qmax. I think they are pretty similar to be honest but they each focus on slightly different aspects.

Both reference FA 2008--which is kind of annoying. Qmax does put the actual FA pages in their answers--but like the FA index, the displayed pages aren't always the best or most complete reference in FA, a lot of times I still go flipping through FA to find a different reference. I actually think Qbank does a better job of referencing FA even though they only give you the page number. Qbank also has some questions that are only referenced in their MedEssentials review book.

Both Qbank and Qmax have questions that cannot be answered directly by looking in FA, so you'll get some WTF type of questions that you either shrug off or can annotate in your copy of FA. I like using the tutor mode when answering questions so I have little mini-reviews of concepts while they are still hot in my head because I missed a question.

I started Qbank last fall so my predicted scores are a little lower than Qmax--but they are similar. I concur with saving UW until the end as well as going through Webpath and Robbins and Coltran Review of Pathology questions; there is some overlap between these but they give you some more in-depth pathology presentations.

Thank you for your responses.

Do you know if USMLERx has the "Tutor" Mode option too?

Would you recommend getting a 6 month subscription to whichever one I choose, so that I can still access it even though I will be focusing on WORLD questions during the last few months?

Kaplan is just so expensive, but I know there are a decent number of Errors/Typo's in First Aid.

I'm a bit nervous that by using USMLERx the best case senario is knowing 100% of First Aids, But I'm under the impression that knowing all of First Aid isn't nearly enough if I'm looking to do phenomenal on step 1.

With qBank I think by throwing in a third company into the mix it might help fill in some holes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm similarly holding off until my final intensive month of review to get World. I got myself a nice long subscription to Rx to use as I am doing a first pass through FA... so far I really like that. After reading/annotating FA then doing the Rx questions, I feel like I've done a solid first look at the subject.

Of course, I don't have Kaplan -- it might be just as helpful. However, for me the price difference was an important factor.

DISCOUNT/PROMOTION: First Aid / USMLE-Rx Step 1 Qmax 6 month subscription

The promo is valid until 11pm on Tuesday, 11/18/14 and the subscription will be 50% off at $99 (originally $199). You can take advantage of the discount now and delay your subscription start date for up to 6 months if that better fits your Step study schedule.

DISCOUNT CODE: UTHSCQMAX1

Instructions:
1. Visit https://www.usmle-rx.com/content/step-1-qmax
2. Select the 6 month option and click "Subscribe Now"
3. On the shopping cart page, click "Checkout"
4. Create an account if you do not already have one
5. On the checkout page, enter UTHSCQMAX1 into the "enter discount codes" section and select "click to calculate discount"

Note: This is the best promotion that First aid/USMLE-Rx offers and cannot be paired with any other discounts. This is a new purchase promotion only (does not work on extensions). Valid for 100% pass guarantee. 5 day refund policy.

I have done all three of them. I did USMLERx, UWORLD and KAPLAN Qbank in that order. I personally find Kaplan to be the toughest of all. May be because my Prep is all FA based.

Kaplan tends to give lower averages, specially because of the heavy physiology and the picky detailing in Micro. Personally I like it because it has a General Principles section, giving you a good focus on that area among the different systems, which is heavily tested. Their 7 blocks Simulations test are also very good for practice.

Also, since Rx and World are FA based and Kaplan is not , may be it is a good breath of fresh Air, we all need. Since I paid only $100 for one month I don't feel bad about it either.

I have done all three of them. I did USMLERx, UWORLD and KAPLAN Qbank in that order. I personally find Kaplan to be the toughest of all. May be because my Prep is all FA based.
Kaplan tends to give lower averages, specially because of the heavy physiology and the picky detailing in Micro. Personally I like it because it has a General Principles section, giving you a good focus on that area among the different systems, which is heavily tested. Their 7 blocks Simulations test are also very good for practice.

Exactly. Kaplan does give lower percentages as a plot to make you think you've improved when your scores magically "jump" after using their product. And Sailey sounds like he/she has a very good study regimen.