Kaplan Student ambassador- worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jdssdj

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the possibility to interview for a Kaplan Student Ambassador position. I am a pre-med student and wondering if this would help my resume, more specifically leadership or is this something that would be more beneficial to a business major.
 
I have the possibility to interview for a Kaplan Student Ambassador position. I am a pre-med student and wondering if this would help my resume, more specifically leadership or is this something that would be more beneficial to a business major.

The latter. I have respect for Kaplan's product, but the basic question is whether you want to study medicine or sell things to people who study medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was one during my sophomore year, and I absolutely do not recommend it.
I'm not sure if it's changed in the 3-4 years since I was employed by them, but it was basically trying to meet quotas standing on campus and handing out info cards, tabling, and clip-boarding. My supervisor was really great to work with--and there was the incentive of receiving a Prep course (which I also don't recommend) at a reduced price if you made it past a few months--but it was bad pay and a complete waste of time. Shadowing, volunteering, or doing literally anything else you're interested in would be a better option.