Kaplan Teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if you become a Kaplan teacher, do you get access to ALL their materials or only that which is pertinent to the subject you are teaching?

Merci,
Monette

Members don't see this ad.

Monette said:
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if you become a Kaplan teacher, do you get access to ALL their materials or only that which is pertinent to the subject you are teaching?

Merci,
Monette
Hey, so they're packaged in BS, PS and verbal groups. I was given BS and PS since I'm teaching one subject in each. If you're just teaching BS subjects then I think they'll just give you the BS pack, etc. Either way, you do have access to all the online resources though.

Monette said:
Hello everyone,

Merci,
Monette
:laugh: That is an odd question. What are you planning to do, collect them all??? Yes, you have access to everything. Tell them you want to teach more subjects, or more tests like DAT/OAT/PCAT, and they'll give you more TELs. Teach a class that meets when the center is normally closed, and they'll give you a key and free run of the place. Ask the manager for one, and they'll probably give you a set of student books. You can also get access to the online assignments.

Get caught using even one piece of Kaplan's materials for any purpose other than for your job, and you'll be canned and possibly have legal action taken against you. Don't do anything stupid just because you have access to their proprietary materials. They take intellectual property violations very seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: That is an odd question. What are you planning to do, collect them all??? Yes, you have access to everything. Tell them you want to teach more subjects, or more tests like DAT/OAT/PCAT, and they'll give you more TELs. Teach a class that meets when the center is normally closed, and they'll give you a key and free run of the place. Ask the manager for one, and they'll probably give you a set of student books. You can also get access to the online assignments.

No actually. I wrote the MCAT and did well on all sections except for verbal. So I am applying to teach one of the sciences but I was hoping that I could get access to their verbal materials because I want to use those while preparing to write a second time. When I took the MCAT the first time, one of my PR teachers did this (and I don't believe she was hiding the fact because I obviously was aware of it as were other students) so I was just wondering if Kaplan lets their teachers do the same thing. Also, there isn't a Kaplan centre where I live so I don't know if I will have access (assuming that I will get the job)!

QofQuimica said:
Get caught using even one piece of Kaplan's materials for any purpose other than for your job, and you'll be canned and possibly have legal action taken against you. Don't do anything stupid just because you have access to their proprietary materials. They take intellectual property violations very seriously.

I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal because I take that pretty seriously. And I wasn't going to do anything stupid but thanks for making that assumption and for the unwarranted and unnecessary warning. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Monette

Monette said:
Thanks for the replies.

No actually. I wrote the MCAT and did well on all sections except for verbal. So I am applying to teach one of the sciences but I was hoping that I could get access to their verbal materials because I want to use those while preparing to write a second time. When I took the MCAT the first time, one of my PR teachers did this (and I don't believe she was hiding the fact because I obviously was aware of it as were other students) so I was just wondering if Kaplan lets their teachers do the same thing. Also, there isn't a Kaplan centre where I live so I don't know if I will have access (assuming that I will get the job)!

I wasn't planning on doing anything illegal because I take that pretty seriously. And I wasn't going to do anything stupid but thanks for making that assumption and for the unwarranted and unnecessary warning. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Monette
Chill out, dude/tte. I wasn't saying that YOU would do anything wrong, just letting you (and everyone else) know that Kaplan is really serious about this stuff, and no one should get any bright ideas to sell their intellectual property on ebay or something. They have a massive legal department and deeper pockets than you can ever imagine. I've seen my manager go after former students who try to re-sell their books from the course for $50. Second, yes, you can study like that while you're teaching if you scored high enough (generally 11+ on any section you want to teach) to be a teacher. I did the same thing myself. :)

QofQuimica said:
Chill out, dude/tte. I wasn't saying that YOU would do anything wrong, just letting you (and everyone else) know that Kaplan is really serious about this stuff, and no one should get any bright ideas to sell their intellectual property on ebay or something. They have a massive legal department and deeper pockets than you can ever imagine. I've seen my manager go after former students who try to re-sell their books from the course for $50. Second, yes, you can study like that while you're teaching if you scored high enough (generally 11+ on any section you want to teach) to be a teacher. I did the same thing myself. :)

True, I am also a Kaplan teacher. I did not retake the MCAT personally, but I have seen other teachers use the materials to retake, and our supervisors and managers do not mind.

QofQuimica said:

Uhm, I was thinking you were the one that needed to chill out. Seriously, I'm sure Kaplan would let staff and students know that it is illegal to sell their intellectual property so your preachings are really unnecessary (especially since not every Kaplan teacher/student comes on SDN). Also my “imagination” surpasses what you seem to imagine it to be, so I can easily “imagine how deep their pockets are" - again calm down! Kaplan will let people know what they want them to know - if they are on SDN or not - no need for taking the moral high ground and lecturing! :p

And I was pretty sure you had to get 12+ in a section to teach it - I could be wrong on that count though. Also, I just got an e-mail from the teacher recruiter in my area and he wants a cover letter, resume and a copy of my score report. I’m just wondering if they need my social security number (found on score report) even before they hire me. Also, can you teach multiple subjects - I mean two that aren’t in the same section (i.e. physics from PS and orgo from BS)?

Thanks,
Monette

Uh wow, she was just letting you know and you took it personal. She meant no harm by her post. She was letting you and others know who might be interested. :cool:

Monette said:
Uhm, I was thinking you were the one that needed to chill out. Seriously, I'm sure Kaplan would let staff and students know that it is illegal to sell their intellectual property so your preachings are really unnecessary (especially since not every Kaplan teacher/student comes on SDN). Also my “imagination” surpasses what you seem to imagine it to be, so I can easily “imagine how deep their pockets are" - again calm down! Kaplan will let people know what they want them to know - if they are on SDN or not - no need for taking the moral high ground and lecturing! :p

And I was pretty sure you had to get 12+ in a section to teach it - I could be wrong on that count though. Also, I just got an e-mail from the teacher recruiter in my area and he wants a cover letter, resume and a copy of my score report. I’m just wondering if they need my social security number (found on score report) even before they hire me. Also, can you teach multiple subjects - I mean two that aren’t in the same section (i.e. physics from PS and orgo from BS)?

Thanks,
Monette
All right, I am going to chalk this up to being a misunderstanding due to the imprecision of internet communication. But my intention was definitely to inform, not to lecture. Kaplan DOES let its staff and students know that it's illegal to sell their property, and yet somehow, people still try to do it regularly. So obviously their message isn't getting out there as well as it should be. Your original post COULD be construed as being from someone who is wanting to sell Kaplan's teacher materials. Obviously that's not your intent, but it wasn't initially clear, at least to me anyway, why you were asking if you could have access to TELs that you didn't need for your classes. The vast majority of instructors do not re-take the MCAT; I actually don't know of any who have done it besides myself. :p (I had to do it because my first scores were ten years old.) Shake and make up?

In answer to your questions:

No, you generally need an 11 in a subject to teach it. The actual rule is that you have to score in the 90th percentile or better. That could come out to be a 12 in BS sometimes I think.

Did you fill out your application yet? If so, you should have given them your SS number then.

Yes, you can teach multiple subjects if you scored well enough in all of them and your manager allows it. (Some managers prefer to have each instructor be an "expert" in one or two areas.) I usually teach one class section from start to finish, every subject. Most of the other instructors pick a few subjects and focus on them, with bio and VR being more popular than chemistry and physics.

Rather than the apparent miscommunication of intentions, I'm most enjoying Monette's timely (not quite a month later) response! :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
All right, I am going to chalk this up to being a misunderstanding due to the imprecision of internet communication. But my intention was definitely to inform, not to lecture. Kaplan DOES let its staff and students know that it's illegal to sell their property, and yet somehow, people still try to do it regularly. So obviously their message isn't getting out there as well as it should be. Your original post COULD be construed as being from someone who is wanting to sell Kaplan's teacher materials. Obviously that's not your intent, but it wasn't initially clear, at least to me anyway, why you were asking if you could have access to TELs that you didn't need for your classes. The vast majority of instructors do not re-take the MCAT; I actually don't know of any who have done it besides myself. :p (I had to do it because my first scores were ten years old.) Shake and make up?

When I said ALL materials, I was referring to MCAT materials and I thought that since this is pre-allo, such an assumption would not be far-fetched – it didn’t even cross my mind that someone would assume otherwise, namely that I was referring to materials for other courses (PCAT, LSAT, DAT, etc.) as well. In retrospect, I realize that it may have come across that (the latter) way (with the phrase ALL materials in caps)… So yes, this was just a case of e-misunderstanding – I just thought you sounded condescending (which I thought was out of character for you – you’ve always been one of my favourite SDN’ers) but that obviously was not your intent. So truce it is. All’s well that ends well - I still heart you Q! :love:

QofQuimica said:
In answer to your questions:

No, you generally need an 11 in a subject to teach it. The actual rule is that you have to score in the 90th percentile or better. That could come out to be a 12 in BS sometimes I think. .

Even better. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
Did you fill out your application yet? If so, you should have given them your SS number then. .

Like I said before, we don’t have a Kaplan centre here. I actually contacted (via e-mail) the guy in the nearest major city who takes care of all the cities that don’t have centres (at least that’s the impression I got). He told me to e-mail him the three documents I mentioned above so I just e-mailed them to him so he has my social security (well social insurance to be precise) now because it’s on the MCAT score report.

QofQuimica said:
Yes, you can teach multiple subjects if you scored well enough in all of them and your manager allows it. (Some managers prefer to have each instructor be an "expert" in one or two areas.) I usually teach one class section from start to finish, every subject. Most of the other instructors pick a few subjects and focus on them, with bio and VR being more popular than chemistry and physics.

Not all of them. Not verbal. :(

SailCrazy said:
Rather than the apparent miscommunication of intentions, I'm most enjoying Monette's timely (not quite a month later) response! :laugh:

HAHA... When I initially started this thread, I forgot to subscribe to it... I had a couple of other questions about this issue since the guy just e-mailed me back, so being the etiquette-adhering SDNer that I am :p , I just used the search function to find this thread... And so I just stumbled across Q's comments this morning.

I was thinking the same thing though and was laughing as I wrote the response - I was hoping no one would pick up on the fact that the response came a month later :laugh: ...

SailCrazy, you should become some sort of surgeon - what with your attention to detail you meticulous thing you ;)

Hey,

I'm teaching the sciences for a Kaplan class this summer, but in the schedule they e-mailed me, I'm supposed to be teaching an "MCAT Strategy and Critical Thinking" class as well. Does anyone know what that is? As far as I can tell, they sent me the biological and a physical sciences packages and a bunch of forms - nothing about Strategy and Critical Thinking. Does anyone have any idea what this is because I *really* don't want to call the guy at my centre to find out unless I *absolutely* have to!

Thanks a bunch,
Monette

Monette said:
Hey,

I'm teaching the sciences for a Kaplan class this summer, but in the schedule they e-mailed me, I'm supposed to be teaching an "MCAT Strategy and Critical Thinking" class as well. Does anyone know what that is? As far as I can tell, they sent me the biological and a physical sciences packages and a bunch of forms - nothing about Strategy and Critical Thinking. Does anyone have any idea what this is because I *really* don't want to call the guy at my centre to find out unless I *absolutely* have to!

Thanks a bunch,
Monette
The Strat TEL is included in both the PS and BS TELs. Open either package, look in the front, and you'll see it there. Good luck w/ your classes. :)

QofQuimica said:
The Strat TEL is included in both the PS and BS TELs. Open either package, look in the front, and you'll see it there. Good luck w/ your classes. :)

I had already opened the packages - I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Monette

QofQuimica said:

Q, your avatar is amazing! I actually haven't seen that one before :cool:

Avalanche21 said:
Q, your avatar is amazing! I actually haven't seen that one before :cool:
That's because I drew it myself, though I did steal the idea. Hey, all that chemistry drawing software finally came in useful for something. :cool:

Monette, not sure what to tell you. I guess you'll have to call your center director. I can't imagine why they'd give you different TELs than they give us; usually the strat TELs come along with every other set, and I end up throwing them away because I have three or four copies of them. :confused:

QofQuimica said:
Monette, not sure what to tell you. I guess you'll have to call your center director. I can't imagine why they'd give you different TELs than they give us; usually the strat TELs come along with every other set, and I end up throwing them away because I have three or four copies of them. :confused:
NOOOOOO!!! I don't want to call that crazy man!

Ah well,
Monette