Opinion: asking a teacher for a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.cho18

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So. I've taken an upper level course with a philosophy professor last spring. I did decent on the papers and passed with a B+, but I didn't get how I got the grade (she used a weird grading system) and kept emailing her about how she calculated the grade. Which, I get is annoying, so I apologize in advanced for all the emails I sent. The other bad thing about the class was that I didn't really participate in her class or go to office hours.
By coincidence, I happened to take a lower level course with her this semester. She remembers me and I told her I would try to participate more but she can't really tell because it's a large classroom and I mostly talk during recitation, not in lecture. I'm planning to go to her office hours now since I got most of my exams out of the way.
Currently I have an A in the class. If I kept going to her office hours from now, would it be beneficial to ask her for a LOR? I guess my question is: would she even bother writing me one, and if she does, would it be about the negative experiences more than the positive ones? I know it's pretty late in the semester to get to know a professor but I've had so much going on that I'm finally taking a breather and actually want to get to know more about the professor.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Set up an appointment and ask for a strong LOR. See what her reaction is--if she is hesitant then steer clear.

Reactions: 1 users
So. I've taken an upper level course with a philosophy professor last spring. I did decent on the papers and passed with a B+, but I didn't get how I got the grade (she used a weird grading system) and kept emailing her about how she calculated the grade. Which, I get is annoying, so I apologize in advanced for all the emails I sent. The other bad thing about the class was that I didn't really participate in her class or go to office hours.
By coincidence, I happened to take a lower level course with her this semester. She remembers me and I told her I would try to participate more but she can't really tell because it's a large classroom and I mostly talk during recitation, not in lecture. I'm planning to go to her office hours now since I got most of my exams out of the way.
Currently I have an A in the class. If I kept going to her office hours from now, would it be beneficial to ask her for a LOR? I guess my question is: would she even bother writing me one, and if she does, would it be about the negative experiences more than the positive ones? I know it's pretty late in the semester to get to know a professor but I've had so much going on that I'm finally taking a breather and actually want to get to know more about the professor.

Opinions?

Sounds like a murky situation.
Do you have any other alternatives?
I think more risks than benefits here.

Picture yourself one year down the line after submitting AMCAS waiting for interviews and depending how the cycle goes, “are there any red flags? Could i have had a bad LOR?”
ive seen a lot of those threads this fall from current applicants

save yourself the headache if you can...

Reactions: 1 user
I am at a loss as to why you would ask for a letter of recommendation from this professor. You have admitted that you may have annoyed her and did not get an A in the upper division course that you took from her. If, for some odd reason, you feel compelled to seek a recommendation from this professor--of all professors--I would be sure to ask her whether she feels that she can give you an excellent/strong recommendation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users