Kaplan Verbal - good indicator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC1987

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how are the verbal tests in the Kaplan Verbal book? they seem REALLY hard to me and i can never even finish on time. are they a good indicator of the verbal section?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the April MCAT and a Kaplan course.

My real score was near my Kaplan VR passage (my bio and PS were higher).
But- it really depends on the actual tests, passage composition, etc.
I felt pressured for time.

Just get a ton of practice (kaplan, AAMC, princeton...anything you can get your hands on).

For me VR was the worst...but my sciences were strong :)

Good Luck!

~PG

DOC1987 said:
how are the verbal tests in the Kaplan Verbal book? they seem REALLY hard to me and i can never even finish on time. are they a good indicator of the verbal section?

yea im having the same problem. can never break 8's on the kaplan verbal. but then again, im using the examkrackers strats on kaplan material lol... iono... i hope the real mcat is a little easier.... i needs me a 10 on verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
n0chi, how do you know you're getting an 8? Did you take the verbal from a kaplan full length test and not from the standalone verbal exams?

I found Kaplan verbal reasoning very similar to the real thing in overall difficulty and feel. Also, after averaging 11 on the full-lengths, I got an 11. Pretty damn good predictor, if you ask me.

my kaplan average over the five tests was just a point lower (maybe half a point?) than my real test...so, pretty good indicator if you ask me!

ooh i didn't mean the full lengths i meant the tests in their verbal reasoning book.. the full lengths i find are much easier. im not sure why they make the ones in their book more difficult

DOC1987 said:
ooh i didn't mean the full lengths i meant the tests in their verbal reasoning book.. the full lengths i find are much easier. im not sure why they make the ones in their book more difficult

same thing...my book scores were more varied (10-13) than my full lengths, but i scored about the same on each...

sometimes when it seems harder, the conversion makes up for it

Kaplan Verbal seems very detail based. Requires going back to the passage alot more than the EK or AAMC verbal does.
I started Kaplan verbal and did really well...but then bombed EK verbal and didn't do so hot on the AAMC verbal.

So I became less detail oriented in reading the passage and tried to capture theme and tone...translated to much better verbal scores for AAMC and Examkrackers, but ironically, worse ones for Kaplan.

In short, i think Kaplan verbal is not like the real thing at all....

Foolins said:
Kaplan Verbal seems very detail based. Requires going back to the passage alot more than the EK or AAMC verbal does.
I started Kaplan verbal and did really well...but then bombed EK verbal and didn't do so hot on the AAMC verbal.

So I became less detail oriented in reading the passage and tried to capture theme and tone...translated to much better verbal scores for AAMC and Examkrackers, but ironically, worse ones for Kaplan.

In short, i think Kaplan verbal is not like the real thing at all....

I think you're right. I was always averaging a 7 on Exam Krackers, then on Princeton's I would get around a 7/6. I just did a Kaplan full length exam, and I got a 9? I donno. I just don't want to take an AAMC and be all messed up. :scared: