kaplan VR technique vs. EK technique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olygt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing the 10wk program with EK and the kaplan course. It seems that EK VR has a different strategy at answering the question than Kaplan. EK is saying to just read the whole passage w/o writing little notes on the side and Kaplan is saying to write little notes on the side. From everybody else's experience, who have tried both, which one works best or do you prefer.

Members don't see this ad.

1st time no prep but i did very similar to the ek strategy and i scored a 9

second time i used kaplan strategy and my score went down to a 8 :confused:

if i have to take it again i am planning on using mainly ek strategy with a little kaplan to help me id the question types that i know i have difficulty with.

I'm currently doing the 10wk program with EK and the kaplan course. It seems that EK VR has a different strategy at answering the question than Kaplan. EK is saying to just read the whole passage w/o writing little notes on the side and Kaplan is saying to write little notes on the side. From everybody else's experience, who have tried both, which one works best or do you prefer.

In my opininon--since I have done every single passage that they both offer--Kaplan verbal questions and Ek verbal questions are like apples and oranges with Kaplan it's easy to pick the right answers without even reading the passages I could probably get a seven on Kaplans verbal without reading the passages but to answer your question, it's up to you to figure out which technique works best FOR YOU, and this is to be done through PRACTICE. I never really go into Kaplan's "mapping the passage" bullocks and I don't plan on ever using that technique, with enough practice you should be able to map the passage in your head and save some valuable time.

Don't stick to a specific strategy.. make your own one.. try new things

I tried EK.. wasn't too great...found out I was reading too slowly... didn't have enough time to answer questions properly

Now I concentrate on reading faster... so I get to the questions faster.. and can look details up better. I needed to work on my "logic" skills and going back to passage skills when it came to the questions. I realized that no matter how slowly I read the passage, I would always have problems with the questions... so I read the passage fast and have enough time on questions.