Kaplan vs EK Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

There seem to be lots of students who are supplementing or prefer the EK Verbal to the Kaplan stuff. I was wondering why this is: do you like the strategies better, prefer the difficulty level, explanations?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the reason is that some say kaplan doesn't focus as much on the big picture --> that is they're too detail oriented in their questions and lean more towards reading comprehension than the mcat's "taking a step back and analyzing why the passage was written"

just my .0908 cents

Running out of time is what kills a lot of people on VR.

The Kaplan VR strategy
1) takes too long to execute on the real MCAT. Way too long.
2) works fine on their own VR passages with their VR questions
3) does not work well on real MCAT VR passages with real VR questions - much more abstract, subtle, less obvious.

The EK strategy focuses more on that subtle/abstract quality rather than the obvious/detail-oriented. Plus, they emphasize time management. Learning to read for the main idea, not go back unless for a specific reason, get the feeling of the passage and the questions - that really helps.

Because implementing Kaplan's verbal advice is the quickest way to assure that you will get no higher than a 10. All that skipping around and highlighting is a gimmick, not a strategy.