KCOM Class of 2005-You've GOT to read this!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Hope you are having a wonderful break. I decided to do my feedback stuff yesterday so I can get my grades and confirm that I received 100%'s in all my classes! (hahahahahahaha!!!)

Anyway, I ran into something that I thought was quite interesting!

Go into Still-net, go under Students..then Feedback.

Scroll down a bit until you get to the part where it says: 'Changes in the curriculum and faculty development programming based on student feedback'

See what it says about AFFOM, and WHY AFFOM was put into play!

I had to read it about 10 times before I understood what it said. GEEZ!!!! Go from one extreme to the other!

Members don't see this ad.

3 words:

SMOKE AND MIRRORS

Get used to it. It will make life much easier

carrie, i don't get it....

Members don't see this ad :)
double elle,
all I meant by my comment was that listing those few changes that supposedly occured because of student feedback makes it seem so simple. Many of those things took students a lot of hard work and a long time of trying to get anything changed.
For example OTM saying they have gone to split labs for the "critical first quarter" is all fine and dandy but when you really need split labs are later on if not all of the way through not just the first quarter.
I guess I was just being a little synical. I just meant that just because it says things get changed because of "student feedback" I don't believe many if any of those changes came from the end of quarter assesments, rather they came from class officers etc working their butts off to make things better.
I hope your first finals went well!

Carrie,

I wasn't referring to the feedback process..I was referring to the fact that AFFOM was put into place because past feedback complained that the first quarter was too easy. I found that to be quite ironic/funny, as I assume my fellow
AFFOM-ers will.

We're on totally different tracks here.

I guess I just didn't interpret it that way. AAFOM was NOT put into place because the first quarter was too easy. My class was the first class to have AAFOM, we were the first class not to do all of anatomy in 1 quarter. We were also the class that had the really easy 1st quarter. It was nice having an easy first quarter until you get to the 5th and 6th quarter and get beat to death with horrible class loads making up for easy 1st quarter.

This is just an example of what I mean saying what that site says or appears to say isn't exactly the way things happened. (Though you would need a book to include every step of the process in between)

Linda,

As Carrie pointed out, it was out class that was the first through the "new curric" and go to 'enjoy' that easy first quarter. Believe me, we more than paid back any fun & frolic we derived from an easier start. Our 5th & 6th quarter were two of the highest contact hour quarters ever scheduled at KCOM. So, yes...when asked, much of our class felt that we would have been better off maintaining a more even keel from the get-go vs. an easy start only to have your @$$ stomped at the end.

And, I wish to emphasize...simple "student feedback" was not the drive behind OMM's alteration of their schedule. We were fortunate enough to have a few articulate & assertive student leaders who were able to "insist" changes be made to what we felt was a less than effective OMM curriculum. Prior to our efforts, they had been essentially unresponsive to student feedback...only through 2002 & 2003's persistance and holding their feet to the fire has your class been able to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Still...missing my point..

I found it HUMOROUS that ANYONE on ANY SORT OF FEEDBACK would say that ANY OF THIS is not difficult. I wasn't griping in the least. It just struck my as very funny..nothing more nothing less...how it's worded on the site.

It actually says that AFFOM was partly put into play to "beef up the first quarter resulting from student feedback that it was deceptively light".

I don't care who said it was deceptlively light..I just thought it was funny. I am not slamming anyone or anything...I can't believe you guys are being so hypersensitive to this...

I honestly meant NOTHING except that I thought my fellow 2005'ers would get a kick out of reading it.

Double elle

The reason they are so hypersensitive was the "deceptively light" first quarter happened to them. Professors saw/thought they had an easier time. They then rectified that situation with my class, giving us 317 contact hours first quarter, and labs weren't counted as full hours like they are now, though AFFOM was worth a few extra-credit points (assuming you could answer their questions).

Indeed it is funny. You might not have realized how much contact we have, but, we have more than any other Osteopathic School, Tony Thrasher researched this, and more than any allopathic school that he contacted. It is indeed funny to think of medical school as deceptively light.

It doesn't get any better until the summer before you leave...I hope

Sweaty
;)