**KCOM Class of 2011**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmah2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Congrats to all those accepted and decided to attend KCOM. I thought I'd start one of these up and create a small online community for our class.

Welcome! :D

I'm Steve from Long Island, NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Congrats to all those accepted and decided to attend KCOM. I thought I'd start one of these up and create a small online community for our class.

Welcome! :D

I'm Steve from Long Island, NY.

Congrats, timmah2k! I didn't want to start a KCOM 2011 thread till I knew for sure what I wanted to do. I'm leaning toward KCOM, but KCUMB is pulling strongly in the other direction.

What made you choose KCOM over other schools which may have accepted you?

I've been accepted to KCOM and WVSOM. I chose KCOM for several reasons.

1. Early Clinical Experiences - I liked that KCOM introduces clincal experiences within the first year from patient simulators to actors to community check ups. WVSOM also has patient simulators but it didn't seem they went into the community for experiences or had real people (actor) situations. I could be wrong though.

2. Clincal Rotations - The clinical rotation sites at KCOM are organized and you get to stay in one place for both your 3rd and 4th years. This is important to me b/c I don't want to be moving every couple of months. WVSOM required 3rd year in WV with heavy emphasis on primary care. 4th year we're on our own in if it was out of state. That turned me off.

3. Location - The location at both are pretty rural, but WVSOM is VERY rural. I practically walked the entire town in 2 minutes. KCOM seemed to be a bit bigger, but not by much. However KCOM offers more places to eat and hang out (I ate at a Mexican place and a microbrewery place). I didn't see much at WVSOM except maybe a cafe, art gallery, and theatre. Also, WVSOM doesn't have a campus cafeteria.

4. KCOM has a fitness program with a gym and activity programs such as hiking, rock climbing, cycling, etc. I didn't any fitness programs WVSOM for the exception of a YMCA outside of the campus.

5. WVSOM does have an outstanding Anatomy lab. KCOM's labs could use a reface.

My brother attends KCOM so I might be bias about the school. He's very proud of it and knows KCOM will prepare him for the future.

I choose a school based on clinical rotations, early clinical experiences, location, and how the school fits me. KCOM just fit me better. I felt more comfortable there.

I think this list is choppy so if you have any specific questions just let me know.

-Steve

Members don't see this ad :)
I like you. Do you like me?

hey. i'm a current 4th year from KCOM, but don't call it KCOM--it's Andrew Taylor Still University, which now includes about 10 different things, including a dental school in Arizona (WTF--i'm sure A.T. had oral health in mind when founding the flagship of osteopathy.) Congrats on getting in. As far as clinical experiences early, the simulated patients (actors) are pretty fun, and good preparation for the PE part of comlex. I don't know how many schools do the 2 week preceptorship after 1st year, but that's definitely a plus. Gives you a little taste of what year 3 and 4 are like. And, an outstanding chance to practice taking BPs, blood draws and exam skills. As far as 4th year goes, you still have to set that up on your own. A lot of people really like that, because they can do a month in arizona, or colorado, or wherever. For example, I am in st louis, so I did all third year at our base hospital (medicine, surgery), which is set up for you. This year, I'm still living in st louis, and doing some stuff at the base hosp., but also at other hospitals in st louis, and in different cities. Sometimes it's a pain to find rotations, but most places deal with visiting students all the time, so it's not too bad. You guys don't need to worry about that yet, though.

Kirksville is totally alright for two years. St louis and Kansas city are 2.5 hrs away, if you need an airport or a baseball game. It's a college town, so there are plenty of bars. Taco Bell, 24 hour walmart and mcdonalds. Don't need too much else as a med student.

The rec center is sweet--raquetball, basketball, good weight room. Don't sign up for the still-well program. it's a trick. One tip: live down by the school. u can walk to school and to the bars. email me if u have questions.

Klap, are you happy as a KCOM student?

i'm paranoid about posting on open forums. email me with questions

Welcome to the school! Still-Well, ahh, I don't understand what the "trick" is. Anyway, the school is pretty awesome for intramurals--something going on every night practically.

Now, to the goods--there is a toolbar that practically every 1st and 2nd year students use. It provides one click access to notes and old tests. I promise you, you WILL use it. The students here use it over 100,000 times a month. Download it, it is free (and free from spyware) http://atsu.myuniversitytoolbar.com.

On the toolbar is a place where we house the google groups for our classes. There is now a class of 2011 google group on there. I just made it today, so there aren't any members yet (there will be hundreds when school starts). The cool thing is that, if you post a question on there, the majority of the student body will be able to see it and can respond, if they so choose. You can also view all of the emails (for 2009 and for 2010) that bounce around our google groups, since they are open for the public to view. This is proof of how much our student body helps each other out.

You will also be able to find the link to the KCOM blog that is run by students here at school. It has very useful tips for surviving medical school at KCOM. We have three authors so far, and the blog is being viewed over 30,000 times a month (it is very useful).

I very rarely check SDN these days. Go to the blog and click on the "contact us" to get ahold of me.

BTW, about the anatomy lab--what is more important than how the lab looks is how many people there are per cadaver--few med schools have so many cadavers/student as ours.

Also, the MOST important factor in deciding on a med school are the rotations. KCOM's are great, as are MSU and Ohio U and PCOM. Check it out...

Hey guys,

Might as well start getting to know each other right? After all we are going to be spending a lot of time together over the next few years.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Will here, from Hannibal, Missouri.

Hey, Josh here. Live in Jackson, MO and will be joining you guys in August.:thumbup:

Hey all. It's about time some people started posting to this thread! I thought I was the only one wanting to go to KCOM. Congrats on your acceptances btw. I sent my deposit in so it's for sure I'm going to KCOM. I guess it's a bit early to look for apartments, but do you guys know any websites?

-Steve

Since I deferred for a year I have had a little time to look into housing. With housing being so cheap in Kirksville and mortgage rates pretty low right now I am probably going to buy a house and maybe even take a roommate. I haven't found a lot of sites but here are a couple: www.century21.com and www.kirksvillerealestate.com have a decent amount of listings and can give you an idea of what you will find in the area. The first website has strictly homes for sale, but the second deals with a lot of rentals in Kirksville. There are a ton of apartments in Kirksville that rent for very reasonable prices and it seems to me like a lot of them are basically passed from one student to another every year so the landlords are used to working with KCOM students. Also, if I remember correctly, I was given access to the school portal and message board system sometime last January. The school has a housing service for landlords and students to post housing for rent or sale that is pretty extensive. I'm not sure what your plans are and I know it's kind of common sense, but most people would tell you that it is a good idea to physically look at the house/apartment before making a commitment due to the fact that quality can vary.

-Will

Having arrived to campus late last fall 2005, I would say definitely try to work on housing as early as possible. Being a "college" town, things get snatched up pretty quick. Buying is not a bad idea, as long as you know what you're doing and you think you might stay in KV for rotations (we purchased our home this past summer).

Here are a couple more resources:
http://www.realtymo.com/
http://www.kirksvillehousing.com(listed above as well, I think)
http://show-merealty.com/
http://rentkirksville.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris here,
I'm from Arizona and am looking forward to resting my brain before school starts. Kinda like letting a sponge dry out so it can absorb more spilt liquids.

It's going to be a long haul, so I'm trying to actively enjoy my life pre-student and before all my free time is gone. I feel I am going to miss AZ a lot once I am gone. I am going to start trying to locate a place to live there and hopefully get my taxes done soon so I can get the loans all squaerd away.
What are you guys doing before class starts?

Congrats on my fellow classmates!:D

Chris here,
I'm from Arizona and am looking forward to resting my brain before school starts. Kinda like letting a sponge dry out so it can absorb more spilt liquids.

It's going to be a long haul, so I'm trying to actively enjoy my life pre-student and before all my free time is gone. I feel I am going to miss AZ a lot once I am gone. I am going to start trying to locate a place to live there and hopefully get my taxes done soon so I can get the loans all squaerd away.
What are you guys doing before class starts?

Congrats on my fellow classmates!:D

Hey congrats on the acceptance. I'm gonna be resting my brain too. I'll try to find a job and make some money, but also take it easy. I'm driving to Florida down tomorrow and spending a week there. Good to hear from more KCOMers.

Hello friends

Congrats on your acceptances

Well, I'm in the military so I'll be doing that until they say I am free to joing the general populace again :laugh: My plans basically go like this:

1. Return to Germany where I am stationed
2. Drink German beer, eat lots of wienerschnitzel :love:
3. Travel to random European country
4. Drink said European country's beer
5. Find a place in K-ville to live
6. Repeat steps 1-4 as many times as possible while I still have the time and money.
7. Try to find a way to return to my small-town midwestern roots after living like a rockstar for 3 years :eek:

Vicki here, I will be completing my Masters in Biomedical Sciences at KCOM this summer and starting school with all of you in the fall.

Housing is pretty cheap here. I currently live in MedRow it is owned by Heritage House. If you are okay with very little closet space it is a great place to live. I will be moving this summer so I have a place to study next year.

I look forward to meeting you all once classes start!

Vicki here, I will be completing my Masters in Biomedical Sciences at KCOM this summer and starting school with all of you in the fall.

Housing is pretty cheap here. I currently live in MedRow it is owned by Heritage House. If you are okay with very little closet space it is a great place to live. I will be moving this summer so I have a place to study next year.

I look forward to meeting you all once classes start!

Smart smart. Doing BMS is a very wise choice.

So, I have made my new and improved website for KCOM students. you may find it here:

http://www.erikpaul.net

I'm putting forums on the development server as we speak to see how that goes. I think people will like the forums.

I hadn't really looked at stats for the site, but, I just noticed that we are getting over 3000 visits a day from KCOM students. Have a look. There is TONS of content on there that will help you adjust to KCOM (I still need to better develop the prospective student stuff--that will be after boards).

good luck, and welcome to KCOM.

hello all. I am from california getting ready to start the class of 2011 D.O.

Congrats to everyone deciding to make kirksville their home for the next two yearsish.

OK, my website is running in full force. The forums are just starting to get moving. There is a specific forum that will allow you incoming students to ask current students questions. It can be found here. There are no topics on that board, since I just released it. Trust me, though, people see the website (3000 hits a day from KCOM students).

There is so much content on the site...go play around with it. I'm working on writing a "must have books for first year" article. That should be very useful for you all.

One common question that is asked is "what is the schedule like"? I have posted a calendar on the site that includes the schedule for second years for 6th quarter (the current one).

Congrats on the acceptance!

I was just wondering how long it took you guys to hear from the admission's office after your interview? Did they call, email or snail mail you?

Packamylase

Another thing that turned me off from KCUMB is that I've been told it's in a shady area of Kansas City. I usually end up being up pretty late, and I'd like to feel safe walking to my car after a late night in the anatomy lab. Kirksville is a much safer town, and most students will tell you that you'll see people walking all around town at all hours of the night completely safely. Kansas City is another story.

Casey

Gildas,

The admissions committee meets every Wednesday. Sometimes it can take 2 weeks to get to an application. If you're accepted (do you want to know this?), they'll call you that Wednesday. If you're not accepted, they'll send you a letter. If you didn't want to know that, I'm sorry. I called when I hadn't heard after the first Wednesday because I was nervous, and they told me they hadn't gotten to my application yet. They called the next Wednesday (conveniently it was the Wednesday of Thanksgiving, so I'm glad I got in or my family time would have been spoiled).

I hope your interview went really well! Good luck waiting on the edge of your seat!

Casey

Hey Jabez! Congrats on your acceptance! It'll be fun to get to know you next year. Have you thought about joining any clubs or anything yet? I know it's early, but I'm so excited that I've been checking out every detail. Looks like KCOM has a pretty wide array of different things to be involved in!

Casey

Congrats to all of you accepted!

Erik's toolbar saved my life. I'm not even kidding. It will save yours too. (seriously, one night before a test the portal was down and I couldn't get to old practice tests. Erik's toolbar had direct links to the tests.) If you guys have any questions, a number of us lurk around here. Now comes the long wait till school starts!

Hi everyone! I'm from Idaho and just got my acceptance today. :) If anyone is as hooked on coffee and late night studying, I'm sure we'll get along just great!

~Erika

Hi everyone! I'm from Idaho and just got my acceptance today. :) If anyone is as hooked on coffee and late night studying, I'm sure we'll get along just great!

~Erika

When did you interview?

Congrats and welcome to the class of 2011! I'm happy and excited for each of you! I'm 1/2 way thru my second year in the class of 2009, and am very happy with my decision to come to KCOM, all the way from California.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on computers, if you happen to be considering upgrading your old laptop/computer. All lectures are presented powerpoint style, and it will be to your advantage to get a notebook/tablet PC. (I heard that Toshiba was pretty solid, and Gateway wasn't as good from the tablet users. But do your research...) It will allow you to write on the powerpoints during lectures, and see them in color. You are provided or can print copies of the powerpoint, but they are in black and white.

I actually don't have one bc I bought a new laptop before I came, so too late. All my friends who have it love it, and I wished I had bought one too.

Congrats again and enjoy the rest of your time before med school starts! If you have any Qs, feel free to post it here and there's enough of us dropping by every once in awhile to answer. Later, you will all get an e-mail account and then there will be a thread that you can post for all the 2011 class to see. I'd suggest you guys create a group on Erik's ATSU toolbar. It's pretty neat and userfriendly.

Regards,
Josephine

:thumbup: Congratulations class of 2011! For those who have interviewed and not been accepted yet--I've heard the admissions committee is behind, so it may take a little longer than normal for your acceptance. Don't panic! Good luck to all of you.

P.S. You WILL use the toolbar!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows any of the major banks in Kirksville. I am from California and have Bank of America and Washington Mutual if you are familiar with that. I am trying to find a bank that would be in both Cali and MO. Thanks!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows any of the major banks in Kirksville. I am from California and have Bank of America and Washington Mutual if you are familiar with that. I am trying to find a bank that would be in both Cali and MO. Thanks!

I'm also from Cali and had the same problem. Get U.S. bank.

Thanks for the positive support, guys! I'm just glad to provide something useful and meaningful for my fellow students.

IMHO, I would ask questions of current students on my incoming student forum (can be found here: http://www.erikpaul.net/forum/). My site gets about 100,000 visits a month from KCOM students, while, I bet this site gets a couple hundred. You will have better access to hundreds of KCOM students each day.

U.S. Bank is good, because they are national (will be nice when you leave for rotations). Also, I like setting up the auto bill pay...keeps me sane to not have to worry about bills when I have 40,000 things going on at once. Plus, it is free (everybody likes free)!

Once again, congrats on the acceptances. Get a tablet PC...you will be glad you did (but don't buy a gateway). I'm saying this from miserable personal experience (7 pens, 4 hard drives, 2 batteries, 2 screens, and 2 motherboards in just over a year). The toshiba's and lenovo's are pretty good. Others like the fujitsu (too small for me).

This school is quickly becoming one of the most tech savy schools in the country. There are SO many paperless students. You will be happy, and should fit in.

I'll make a video showing how I study...it is truly unique.:cool:

anyone going to be living on campus or looking to share one of the 2bdrm apts? Since I am moving from AZ and don't want to move a ton of stuff halfway across the country, being furnished is a huge plus. And being close to the school is another nice bonus, so I think I'm gonna see if I can get into one, and the 2 bdrm seems to be the most cost effecient.
Suggestions for any good websites to find roommates?
thx!
CHR1S
chris

I was just accepted at KCOM. Late applicant sweet!!!

Holy crap I've been accepted! :eek: I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, KCOM seems like a great place to be.

Now I have to figure out what I want to do this summer before my life is over...lol :D

where is everybody???

ah...no wonder I can't find anyone

well looks like a dead thread...

Any of you incoming KCOMers looking for a house - mine is up for sale now. I was in KCOM's masters program but have gotten an acceptance to another school and will likely be taking it. PM me if you want more info and I'll send you a flyer. It's a great house, located close to school and I'm sad I have to give it up. Let me know if you're interested, though. Oh, and if any of you have doubts about buying a house, it's a great thing to do in Kirksville. Don't regret it one bit.

Hi,

US Bank is O.K. and they are nationwide, but Alliant Bank is paying KCOM students to bank there and their service are free!

Robert:thumbup:

I'm going to want to read this later on my blackberry, but no search function there, so I'm going to try and get it back on the first page with this post...