KCOM living arrangements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_2_b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be going to KCOM next fall and am trying to decide whether to buy a house or rent. I figured that if I buy a 3-4 bedroom/2-3 bathroom house, I would be able to offer cheap rent to other med students while I attend KCOM and rent out when I'm gone.

However, if I rent, I need a place that allows a dog (smaller). I've heard of the Woodwinds....but do they allow dogs?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think woodwinds allows dogs. A couple of people from our class have had to buy a house in order to have dogs, while others have found rental places. As far as the offering other students cheap rent, keep in mind that all of the rent in kirksville is cheap. Good luck.

Hail to all from the Woodwinds!! Yes, rent in Kirksville can be very cheap...however, be very wary! There is some unbelievably ****ty rental properties here that the local slum-lords will heartily & lovingly try to pass-off as acceptable! That translates into ---> DO NOT RENT ANYTHING SIGHT UNSEEN!!!

As far as the Woodwinds, my wife and I own a unit there...and plan to rent it out to KCOM students when we leave for parts unknown this coming August. Woodwinds, the complex, most certainly allows dogs & cats, assuming they are 20 pounds or less. BUT, since land-lordism is a cottage industry here in the 'ville, many of the individual owners who rent their units may restrict your pet-ownership priviledges.

My wife and I have a very small dog (6 pounds full grown and well trained) and ended up having to purchase a place due to the cumulative reluctance of the local land-lords. One of them explained to me that "there was sort of a gentleman's agreement among the owners of the nicer properties" to not rent to people with pets. It stems, according to this gentleman, from the tendancy of the Truman State students to obtain a dog, care for them minimally and leave to their own fates when Truman State breaks for the summer. Also, that the undergrad sect (Truman State) tends to allow the dogs to destroy what ehy wish...after all, it's only rental property.

There are some great bargains in K'ville. But, you really need to come here to nose them out! I would suggest, for those of you w/o pets, contacting the Century 21 office. Also, Larry Daniels is a local realtor (used to be w/ Century 21) who is a dog-lover and will be most helpful in helping you find quality properties that allow pets.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiancee and I have both been accepted at KCOM for next fall. So If there are any suggestions on where to stay!! We were thinking about coming down in March to look for a place, is that to soon?? Is there a service the school provides for students to help them find s place?

First, CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!!

Second, yes...the school maintains a folio of rental properties. Also, the school allows all the local land-barons to post listings in the KCOM folder. The admissions office will even provide you with a phone and maybe even desk space.

However, let me caution you...DO NOT RENT ANYTHING SIGHT UNSEEN!!!! As you should expect in a very small town with two universities, much of the rental properties is ONLY fit for an 18-year old first away from home!!

Also, March is way too early. The majority of the quality properties are sucked by KCOM students. It's a combination of the owners of the nicer properties wanting apparently more responsible renters and med students having "higher" expectations.

We, my class, will not be leaving for our rotation sites until late-July/early-Aug...about 3 weeks prior to your arrival. So, the best time to come search for rental property is spring and early summer.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll be able to get in touch with you when we come down.
Until then if you have any advice to give I'd appreciate it. What about the year long curriculum. I did'nt realize that they did'nt have there first summer off untill after I interview. How is it? did you get burned out or does it go at a good pace? Do you think it's definately worth it. I really liked KCOM's curriculum, is there anything that you don't like about it??
Thanks I really appreciate it!!

Gimme some time to address your question...more or less swamped right now.

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03